we need everyone in every capacity.

and don't get me started on college. I've met very few people that went to college and then went on to work in their area of study. college right after high school seems to be just an extension of high school but with more alcohol and sex.

I argued with a friend of mine over her son. He had some emotional issues that caused periods of anger and depression as an early teen but got control over it and did really well in HS. So, of course he had to go to college. I had been saying that I felt he would benefit from getting a part time job in HS but no, he had to focus on his grades. Well, he went off to college, stayed in his room and played games the entire semester and flunked every class. After the first month, he never even went to class. Now, he's working and taking the first of several course to get Microsoft certified w/o the three R's and will probably do well.

enh, not a terribly cohesive point there...I think that if he had worked some in HS he would have gotten a better appreciation for time in general and if he had gotten the right job it might have steered him closer to what he wanted to do instead of wasting money in a semester of the three R's. I know that's why I didn't even think about college: I was tired of people telling me what to read and how to write about it.