Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need for education reform

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Glad to hear you quit. Good luck finding another job where you can be lazy and self-righteous at the same time.
    No worries. I'm campaigning to be the next Republican candidate for the United States Presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Would you want a president with virtually no experience to lead your country? Oh wait, you probably would...
    Actually, I didn't. But I got one.

Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    No worries. I'm campaigning to be the next Republican candidate for the United States Presidency.

Good luck with that.

Thanks. Good luck with your scientological study technology. I hope nobody gets left behind when the DC-10's come to take us all away to a better place.

Yeah, ok, whatever the hell you are talking about...

SW, what education do you have? Are you a teacher by chance? If not, what is your profession?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    SW, what education do you have? Are you a teacher by chance? If not, what is your profession?
    I teach Tae Kwon Do. But in my off-time, I stuff envelopes and make a great living from home. Won't you join my envelope stuffing enterprise? You'll make a fortune!

So I guess it's safe to say you aren't very educated and you have minimum, if any, job skills. I'm guessing you're unemployed at the moment.

You are a perfect guy to argue about education with an educated man who has actually taught for 15 years.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

good topic

i'm definitely not well versed in all the ins and outs of this but it seems like a large part of the problem is that no one is allowed to say that little johhny just isn't smart enough to go to college.

not everyone is born with the same ability to be good at everything...not everyone is equal in thier aptitude for different things.

whatever happened to votech? when I was in HS there were guys that were building houses...every year the vocational classes built a house and sold it. I think there was a mechanics class too.

w/o grammer you lose logical sentence structure...any particular word at a certain place in a sentence means a specific thing. we all get lazy in talking and writing at times but when communication really matters you have to have a set of rules to fall back on so that you know wtf each other is saying
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

There are no easy or clear cut solutions to the educational problem, never have been, never will be.
    Fact is, I don't think that there is even a defined goal or even a defined problem.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Would you want a president with virtually no experience to lead your country?

Abraham Lincoln only had one term as a United States senator before becoming president.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Abraham Lincoln only had one term as a United States senator before becoming president.
    And look how his term ended
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Most recent Presidents have been Governors rather than US Senators.

This is a good topic. I'm all about standards long as it doesn't become an industry. Certification and periodic testing seems to make sense in any technical trade. Education is an ongoing thing.
    Choices of reading material has been controversial in schools as long as I can remember. Some of the books banned when I was a child are now allowed or required reading. Conversely some of the required reading when I was in shool is now banned in a lot of school systems.
    I think children mostly need the fundamentals of reading and writing coherently in a language and to understand simple mathematics, at least arithmatic and geometry as well as simple chemistry and biology. Teaching a child how to learn seems more important to me than what to learn in the long run.
    "When i think back on all the cr@p I learned in High School, It's a wonder I can think at all...." Paul Simon, from the song Kodachrome

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i'm definitely not well versed in all the ins and outs of this but it seems like a large part of the problem is that no one is allowed to say that little johhny just isn't smart enough to go to college.

not everyone is born with the same ability to be good at everything...not everyone is equal in thier aptitude for different things.

whatever happened to votech? when I was in HS there were guys that were building houses...every year the vocational classes built a house and sold it. I think there was a mechanics class too.

w/o grammer you lose logical sentence structure...any particular word at a certain place in a sentence means a specific thing. we all get lazy in talking and writing at times but when communication really matters you have to have a set of rules to fall back on so that you know wtf each other is saying

I completely agree about vo-tech programs. Nowadays it seems everybody MUST go to college, while for some people learning vo-tech skills is better suited for them, thus making them more productive members of our workforce.

Our country needs automechanics, butchers, welders, etc., and people could be coming out of vo-tech programs ready to start earning a living in these fields, rather than having them coast through university life.
    Bless you