Thread: Silly Canadian Government

Silly Canadian Government

Since everything on here is off-topic I figured I'd post to say that it is now illegal to download music in Canada and comes with a $500 fine.

I have about 300 songs on my computer and Ipod.
    A unique snowflake

Ur a Light weight. I have 5024 songs taking up 65.35 Gigs of space that can play non stop 24/7 for 46 days straight.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Ur a Light weight. I have 5024 songs taking up 65.35 Gigs of space that can play non stop 24/7 for 46 days straight.
    the self-proclaim mp3 download king, isn't this being an attention wh*re?
    dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Since everything on here is off-topic I figured I'd post to say that it is now illegal to download music in Canada and comes with a $500 fine.

Yeah, how exactly do they know you're downloading it?

i may be misinformed but my understanding is you can pay to download music. the law is that you may not steal music by downloading "sharing" it on sites like limewire.

it is stealing from artists. buy your music.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

That law hasn't passed, it is being tabled and it will likely not get signed into law.
    Why?
    Because it is poorly written and is clearly expressive of the ignorance of the matter by it's authors.

If it makes it through, it will be because of deception and negligence.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    i may be misinformed but my understanding is you can pay to download music. the law is that you may not steal music by downloading "sharing" it on sites like limewire.

it is stealing from artists. buy your music.
    I have no problem paying artists for what they produce. Therefore, for every CD I download, I will pay directly to the artist, the five cents they would have made if I paid twenty dollars for the CD.
    A unique snowflake

And yeah, DJ is right. Like most things the Conservatives try poorly to do, it is silly and will most likely not see the light of day. Still thought it was funny and worth sharing.
    A unique snowflake

I have no problem paying artists for what they produce. Therefore, for every CD I download, I will pay directly to the artist, the five cents they would have made if I paid twenty dollars for the CD.
    i know most people do not really care or think about it as stealing.
    artists do need to rethink how they will sell there music/art since a large population of people for several years have been stealing from them,

are you joking with your above comment? you are not going to pay anyone for the music you have stolen.

some bands that i work with make a few dollars from every cd sold not the 5 cents you say.

one artist i work for it is estimated that their last album sold about 250,000 copies and that about 500,000 copies were downloaded and traded. that is almost $1,000,000.00 stolen from the artist in 2 years time.

this is a big deal to me and is close to home since it directly affects how much money i make to support my family.

i do not know what to solution to this problem is though ... there are some pros to downloading for free, for example you could get new fans who will like it and then go buy it or new fans to come to the concerts ...

dont steal from my friends!
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Bruce, the music industry itself has been stealing from artists for years. please, don't lay that coq and bull story on us.

Artists taht have gained independence from labels and market their own tunes directly are at last making some money. the real villains here aren't lousy pirates who listen to a song or record some low qual mp3 for their own trax. It's the RIAA who are the dirt bags and have been all along.

they cheat artists out of their earnings and ownership of songs, they stifle or stop careers and keep stagnant old dinosaurs boring us on and on forever and ever and so on..artists that are in it for stricytly the money usually aren't worth listening to anyway on many fronts and are generally some kind of marketing vehicle for merchandise.

as a musician and a recording artist, who by the way doesn't dl nothing off of nobody that isn't offered for free, I can tell you first hand it is the corporations and not the artists who are up in a knot over this whole thing because they are finally losing the clutches they had on the musicians who will still produce and perform all day long like I will. :-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.