Thread: So.....Tiger Style?

Hybrid View

So.....Tiger Style?

Is there an actual "Tiger Style" of Kung Fu? As opposed to a constituent sub-system of other styles, like Hung Gar and Xingyi?

Who teaches it, and where?

What's it like (techniques and fighting strategy)?
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Shaolin-Do to the rescue...

Flying Tiger (Golden Tiger)--Fei hu chu dong--straight at the opponent, utilizing standing grappling to kick out the knee and wrench the joints. There are no retreating movements. You always move forward. If you redirect your energies, it's by rotating. The strikes are used to set up throws and tearing movements. An upward-driving knee is prevalent as the finishing technique of the combos. The blocks (which are actually strikes with the heel of the tiger palm) almost always direct to the outside, because you're going straight for them--their face, throat, midsection, groin. Lots of grabbing and pulling. Much in the way you see a tiger stalking, and you see the power in his shoulder blades, you're supposed to generate power from your latts and your chest.

Mountain Tiger--Jingang fu hu quan--A few retreating motions. Elbow strikes used to finish some combinations. The hands never leave a clawing formation. Several jumps. The arms move in a circular fashion to clear and tear and cover into reverse bow stances when retreats are needed quick. The best exponents I've seen (1 or 2 guys) fight out of forward weighted stances. Even when I'm boxing at my best, they're really good at getting me to move where they want me. There are a couple of combinations that test your ability to strike in strange ways. Ex: off of a forward elbow, bring the striking arm to the outside, palm out, to rake/clear as you strike with the off hand in typical forward tiger strike (hung-gar-ish).

Neither of those forms looks anything like Hung Gar. The stances are mobile, you are almost always moving, and there's more focus on speed than on a root you plan on holding. In that, especially the second one, they look more like that wudang master you can see on youtube.

Then...you can always find some information on HEi HU QUAN forms. Black Tiger is different from Hung Gar in many ways. Especially the speed.

Yes, there's a couple actual tiger systems out there. Look for Fu Jow Pai (Tiger Claw) and Hark Fu Mun (Black Tiger). There used to be a Fu Jow Pai guy who posted here, but I'm not sure if he's still around. Also, if you want a good laugh, look up Spiritual Tiger on youtube You might get some good responses on the southern forum as the systems are southern (like Hung Gar).

There is also a Ming Tai tzu style (unrelated to mine), that is supposed to be Tiger based.

tiger claws or tiger shapes exist in many styles.

in general, tiger claws are used as grappling and seizing hands or qin na.

tiger shapes existed since antiquities.

in Ba Ji, tiger arms movement and hand forms are used.

in Mantis, there are whole forms/routines based on tiger.

--

spiritual tiger or shen hu is said to be over 2300 years old and it is qin na shu.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

spiritual tiger or shen hu is said to be over 2300 years old and it is qin na shu.

--
    The spiritual tiger of shen hu is roughtly 2400 years old, by my count.

But the mind of the tiger spiritual is timeless.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.