Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So.....Tiger Style?

So.....Tiger Style?

Is there an actual "Tiger Style" of Kung Fu? As opposed to a constituent sub-system of other styles, like Hung Gar and Xingyi?

Who teaches it, and where?

What's it like (techniques and fighting strategy)?
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Shaolin-Do to the rescue...

Flying Tiger (Golden Tiger)--Fei hu chu dong--straight at the opponent, utilizing standing grappling to kick out the knee and wrench the joints. There are no retreating movements. You always move forward. If you redirect your energies, it's by rotating. The strikes are used to set up throws and tearing movements. An upward-driving knee is prevalent as the finishing technique of the combos. The blocks (which are actually strikes with the heel of the tiger palm) almost always direct to the outside, because you're going straight for them--their face, throat, midsection, groin. Lots of grabbing and pulling. Much in the way you see a tiger stalking, and you see the power in his shoulder blades, you're supposed to generate power from your latts and your chest.

Mountain Tiger--Jingang fu hu quan--A few retreating motions. Elbow strikes used to finish some combinations. The hands never leave a clawing formation. Several jumps. The arms move in a circular fashion to clear and tear and cover into reverse bow stances when retreats are needed quick. The best exponents I've seen (1 or 2 guys) fight out of forward weighted stances. Even when I'm boxing at my best, they're really good at getting me to move where they want me. There are a couple of combinations that test your ability to strike in strange ways. Ex: off of a forward elbow, bring the striking arm to the outside, palm out, to rake/clear as you strike with the off hand in typical forward tiger strike (hung-gar-ish).

Neither of those forms looks anything like Hung Gar. The stances are mobile, you are almost always moving, and there's more focus on speed than on a root you plan on holding. In that, especially the second one, they look more like that wudang master you can see on youtube.

Then...you can always find some information on HEi HU QUAN forms. Black Tiger is different from Hung Gar in many ways. Especially the speed.

Yes, there's a couple actual tiger systems out there. Look for Fu Jow Pai (Tiger Claw) and Hark Fu Mun (Black Tiger). There used to be a Fu Jow Pai guy who posted here, but I'm not sure if he's still around. Also, if you want a good laugh, look up Spiritual Tiger on youtube You might get some good responses on the southern forum as the systems are southern (like Hung Gar).

There is also a Ming Tai tzu style (unrelated to mine), that is supposed to be Tiger based.

tiger claws or tiger shapes exist in many styles.

in general, tiger claws are used as grappling and seizing hands or qin na.

tiger shapes existed since antiquities.

in Ba Ji, tiger arms movement and hand forms are used.

in Mantis, there are whole forms/routines based on tiger.

--

spiritual tiger or shen hu is said to be over 2300 years old and it is qin na shu.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

spiritual tiger or shen hu is said to be over 2300 years old and it is qin na shu.

--
    The spiritual tiger of shen hu is roughtly 2400 years old, by my count.

But the mind of the tiger spiritual is timeless.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

...just coz this thread needed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxaZw2oSkU

Make sure you turn up your speakers real loud...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

So, there is no Tiger style, per se. Just Tiger Claw, Black Tiger and "X" Tiger systems?

Shaolin 5 Animals (a legit system?) contains the Tiger sets, correct?

Hung Gar contains the Tiger/Snake/Crane sets*, as well?

*-by "sets", do we mean forms/katas? Or does it have another meaning in TMCA?
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post

Thanks for that one bro,
    gotta love the Bobby Digital strut at the end,
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Nuttin' but the basics...........

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post

Shows that all you need are a few (3 in this case) really polished moves.
    Mr. T invented fools, then feeling bad about it, invented pity

http://www.cansfordan.com

http://www.fightfordan.com

So, there is no Tiger style, per se. Just Tiger Claw, Black Tiger and "X" Tiger systems?
    I'm afraid you're not making much sense here... "Tiger Claw" would be the Tiger "style". I'm not really sure what you're looking for Are you looking for one main tiger style that all other tiger systems come from? If so, it's a wasted search as tiger is a common enough animal and theme in CMA that numerous people would develop tiger systems, forms, etc. individually.
    Last edited by B-Rad; 06-16-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Monkey is like that too. Lots of monkey styles, most are unrelated to eachother.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 06-16-2008 at 05:46 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "Neither of those forms looks anything like Hung Gar. The stances are mobile, you are almost always moving, and there's more focus on speed than on a root you plan on holding.

. Black Tiger is different from Hung Gar in many ways. Especially the speed."

the above are completely incorrect assumptions.

Hung-Ga, although being a five animal style is predominantly Tiger as Jee Siem Sum Si specialized in Tiger, and Su Hak-Fu influenced Wong Fei-Hung to a high degree. Hak Fu Mun is not faster than Hung-Ga, although one could get that impression by simply watching the forms. Hung-Ga forms are played "one breath, one move" because they are designed to develop full power in each strike. When the Hung-Ga fighter fights, it is very fast, expolosive and aggressive-one breath-six moves.Rooting is done in an instant and footwork is fst and mobile.
    As far as looking for pure tiger-you need to search for Hak Fu Mun, and Fu-Jow P'ai (although FJP also contains in their training Hung-Ga and My Jong Law Hon)