Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Warrior?

Stone Warrior?

I have watched the stone warrior program that was put out by Green Dragon Studios. And as I understand it, the Stone Warrior that is sold on amazon is the same program just redone by a different person.

Other than those two sources, I have never heard of this set/program. Does anyone know it's history or lineage? What style did it first come from? Do any other styles still use it today?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

It was created by Allen for Green Dragon.
    No other systems use it because it doesn't exist in other systems, unless someone has added it to them.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thanks for that. I rechecked the website and here is what is says.

Undoubtedly the PREMIER power building and muscular development exercise program to come from any area of the Chinese Fighting Arts!! Many physical strength building sets from Kung-Fu claim to be the best at developing the kind of awesome body power that many of the legendary Masters were said to have achieved. This is true of strictly ''internal'' systems, such as Chi Kung (which, if true, takes a lifetime), as well as combined ''internal/ external'' programs such as 5-Family's Iron Vest, Hung Style's Iron Thread, 5-Animal's Muscle Change, or Buddha Style's Teet Lo Han Chin Ch'uan.
    It doesn't necessarily say it comes from a certain style, but it doesn't say it was created by them either.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Thanks for that. I rechecked the website and here is what is says.

It doesn't necessarily say it comes from a certain style, but it doesn't say it was created by them either.
    Its been awhile since I saw the Stone Warrior routine, refresh my memory, how long does it take?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I have watched the stone warrior program that was put out by Green Dragon Studios. And as I understand it, the Stone Warrior that is sold on amazon is the same program just redone by a different person.

Other than those two sources, I have never heard of this set/program. Does anyone know it's history or lineage? What style did it first come from? Do any other styles still use it today?

I believe it's lineage to be: Sifu Allen

This exact question was raised by GM Chicoine, and he said that he looked into it's origin while in China/Taiwan.

His conclusion was that Sifu Allen created this exercise set himself.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

I did the Stone Warrior program for a while back in the day. I've made a lot of posts about it so search for them and if you have any more questions post in here (altho I don't check this forum that often).

In all seriousness tho now that I'm enlightened about strength training I really wouldn't recommend it. You will develop more strength, faster, and more efficiently by lifting weights. Please don't be one of these anti-weight lifting martial artists. A lot of people think lifting weights will make you big, or slow, neither of which is true. Weightlifting can make you big if you do the right kind of volume and intensity and couple that with the correct type of diet, but it doesn't just "happen." Trust me, I've been trying to "get big" for years now and it doesn't randomly happen. You can also lift weights to gain raw power without gaining any size at all, if that's what you want. 120 pound women bench press 300-400 pounds. How many 150 pound anti-weight training martial artists have you seen do that?

I am going to give you the secret to physical conditioning right now. If you're a noob you won't believe me at first, because you are looking for the super secret hidden Chinese method that will make you invincible, but after years of research, reading studies, talking with sports physiologists, doctors, and other experts in the field, you will come to these same conclusions:

1. To develop strength, lift weights. By "strength", I mean "the ability to generate maximal force." The only way your nervous system will adapt and be able to generate maximal force is by practicing with heavy weights. In other words, you aren't going to be able to bench press 300 pounds if you practice by doing pushups, because the intensity and the resistance isn't there, so your body won't adapt. You can structure your weight training, diet, and rest regimen to a) develop strength without adding any size (useful if you want to stay in a particular weight class or just don't want to get big or spend extra money on the amount of food required to get big), b) develop strength and size. It depends on your goals.

2. To develop the kind of endurance required for fighting, fight. Running, jogging, marathons, etc. all build endurance, but they don't tax your energy systems in the same way as fighting. If a boxer has a problem with getting tired during his fights, and he can currently run 2 miles, even if he trains so that he can run 10 miles, he still won't have any more energy in his fights because running long distances is not the same intensity as fighting. If you want to run marathons, then train to run marathons. If you want to have tons of energy and endurance during your fights, then practice fighting/sparring. Alternatives to this are other high-intensity activities, such as jumping rope or sprinting.

That's it as far as conditioning goes. Don't forget to eat enough for the type of training that you're doing. The only other aspect I didn't cover here is your martial training, but that's a different topic altogether.

Oh, the one thing Stone Warrior will build is endurance for sustaining extended periods of muscular contraction. After all, that's basically what you're doing when you're doing Stone Warrior. Unfortunately, that's not really applicable to anything. At its final level, Stone Warrior takes 90 minutes to do, and the entire time you're flexing every muscle in your body. That's like the opposite of what fighting is like, not to mention I've heard anecdotal evidence that this can be terrible for your heart and cause weird breathing problems over time. Plus Stone Warrior doesn't really do anything for your legs. Sure you're holding stances, and one of the exercises involves a "goat stance" (or whatever it's called when you press your knees together really hard), but that's not really doing anything other than building endurance in your leg adductors.

edit - I forgot. In your weight training, make sure you include the following (unless you have some limiting condition that prevents you from doing so - always check with your doctor first!)

Deadlifts - increases leg strength and strengthens the lower back. If you want to maintain good lower back health throughout your life (ie. when you're 50, be the only guy in your group of 50 year old friends who doesn't have lower back problems/pain), you will do deadlifts. Ever seen someone bend over to randomly pick something up and "throw their back out?" That person didn't do deadlifts.

Squats - builds leg strength like nothing else.

Bench press and/or overhead presses - builds upper body pressing strength like nothing else

Pullups - builds upper body pulling strength like nothing else

But if you can only do one of the above, choose deadlifts.

I guarantee you if you do squats, deadlifts, and bench presses for 3 months you will be stronger than someone else who did Stone Warrior for 12 months.

This post should be stickied
    Last edited by IronFist; 06-27-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

This post should be stickied
    Seconded...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Iron Fist,

Weights might be good and all, but what if I don't want to get hyooge?
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Iron Fist,

Weights might be good and all, but what if I don't want to get hyooge?
    Then stay away from free weights and only use machines

(note to lurkers: I'm kidding. Machines suck 99% of the time for 99% of cases)

I just searched for my old Stone Warrior and Iron Body posts and I can't find them. Did the forums get purged? I probably wrote them sometime between 01 and 04 or 05.

IronFist,

Thank you, that was a great share.

mickey

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    if you don't wanna get hyuuuge, then don't eat like a bodybuilder. ie-eating tons of chicken, eggs, fish, eggs, chicken, eggs, did I mention eggs?
    Eat enough to feed and repair your muscles, but not enough for hypertrophy, and you should be fine.
    BTW-congrats to my student Hadi Beshang, who at 17 just won his first amature bodybuilding championship.after only three years of training! Look for him in upcoming issues of Natural Bodybuilding Magazine.

I'm quite disappointed to learn that Green Dragon made up this Stone Warrior stuff.

Did they also make up their Iron palm and Iron vest material? Or is that at least genuine?

Their Iron Palm and Iron Vest come from Master Gene Chicoine.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I am going to give you the secret to physical conditioning right now etc.
    So what...so what you say...Grog think (head hurting)...train what you do, to get good at what you do? Huh...much good you say, think Grog (head hurting more)...why so many say do "secret training", but not explain why it work? Maybe no secret to training, Grog now think (head really hurt now)...Grog think too much now, need go sleep...