Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

If you guys were actually serious about being "the deadly" you'd join a military force instead of sitting around with your hobby arts and grinding on and on about someone else and their hobby art.
    You seriously need medications... you can't follow a logical line of thought progression and say the most absurd things

There has NEVER in the hisotry of mankind been a society with 100% of that society is military...

There has ALWAYS been a need for "self defense" and/or fighting techniques among the "general population"

But since you can't follow a logical line of discussion, I'm sure you will ignore that little fact (just like you have ignored HUGE FACTS in the past)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I glanced away for a second and almost missed the merge.

This has been done to death in the past but I'll say it again in the public interest: much of what this guy does was not learned--it was videotaped and imitated by him. Some friends showed me some of his videos in the '80s--some were good, some were terrible. Despite using his religion to back up his claims to being a good guy Allen's posturing really irks me. Huge ego, loves to give long pretentious lectures, loves authoritarianism and verbal absolutes but refuses to give a lineage (or even a general source) for the sets he presents because he holds that lineage is not important.

To my mind, the only way to justify that is if his people are knocking 'em out in a ring. Otherwise you can miss the essentials of an art entirely by only trying to copy the moves.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

And everyone here is righteous and free of stain.

My point is that none of you are guaranteed that you know the foundations of what you do.

None of you can guarantee that you weren't sold a bill of goods somewhere.

Dave, you can go off all you like about this or that, but why have you drifted so far away from what you were taught and move into something that was not of that line of teaching?

You can kvetch and whine and moan all you like, but you don't actually have direct experience and you don't know.

I would wager that none of you have direct experience with the guy you are banging on and maybe you're just participating in a good poo throw fest.

Lame, unconstructive, waste of time.

Why don't you ask the person you are whining about?

So weak...so, very weak.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

And everyone here is righteous and free of stain.
    irony, it isn't just for breakfast anymore

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

[QUOTE=David Jamieson;1217732I would wager that none of you have direct experience with the guy you are banging on and maybe you're just participating in a good poo throw fest.

Lame, unconstructive, waste of time.
    QUOTE]

True, but did you notice it was I_H_A_K who started the thread? I assume it is meant primarily for entertainment value and carry on as such.

btw what does "kvetching" mean? I don't know Yiddish.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

So weak...so, very weak.
    Of Course! Everyone is weak, but you!

You play yourself as the conscience of the BB, but you are no better, and much of the time worse, than those you act superior too!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    yes it does matter for several reasons
    Firstly its misleadingb its marketed as the grand ultimate secret chinese system created years ago and only passed down to the most worthy of students...when in fact he made it up

secondly If the whole premise is to mislead from day one then that doesnt say much about what the outcome is going to be from studying the thing
    Agree with all of this.

If he just said "hey, I (or we) created this strength set because I (or we) wasn't/weren't happy with what was currently out there," that would be no problem. Cool.

But it's presented as ancient Chinese secrets as a marketing angle. Half of the fun of TMA is being part of something bigger than yourself. Doing something that people have been doing for hundreds of years.

Regardless, that wouldn't even really matter if it was super effective.

But it's not.

Is it better than nothing? Yeah. In small parts. I don't know that I would recommend anyone doing 90 minutes a day of dynamic tension, though. Or 60. Or even the 30 I used to do. Maybe a minute or two of a specific thing for a specific purpose.

Thirdly if its made up then there is no histroy of it working so the chances of it being usefull are nil, esecpially if its different from other systems that do work such as iron wire etc
    To be fair, there's no history of a lot of TCMA stuff working:

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It is a well know fact that every MA was made up.
    The IW was made up.
    It is perfectly fine to state that a form was made up.
    There is no reason to lie about the origins unless you are trying to passed it off as some "ancient chinese secret".
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    This has been done to death in the past but I'll say it again in the public interest: much of what this guy does was not learned--it was videotaped and imitated by him. Some friends showed me some of his videos in the '80s--some were good, some were terrible. Despite using his religion to back up his claims to being a good guy Allen's posturing really irks me. Huge ego, loves to give long pretentious lectures, loves authoritarianism and verbal absolutes but refuses to give a lineage (or even a general source) for the sets he presents because he holds that lineage is not important.
    I actually liked his lectures, or at least the one or two I've seen. But I probably only liked them because I agreed with him about the importance of strength training. My mistake was thinking that SW would get me to where I wanted to be.

I don't recall him ever referencing religion, though.

To my mind, the only way to justify that is if his people are knocking 'em out in a ring. Otherwise you can miss the essentials of an art entirely by only trying to copy the moves.
    Hasn't there been more than one person to copy things from videotape and rebadge them as their own?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The Green Dragon stuff truely was terrible.... that is not to say some of the things they did were ok, even good.. BUT, most was just produced to sell on video tape

How many "iron arhats" and "stone warrior" type names filled those catalogues? Names that did not in any way seem like they came from somone who actually spoke Chinese....

The 7 star praying mantis set "Bahk Yun Chut Dong" where the "white ape" was a literary reference to the monkey king but the set was anything but "monkey kung fu"... yet Allen added all sorts of wushu-ey monkey to the set

Whatever.

"martial artists"

hahahahaha, that is laughable at times the way the gripes and moans get laid down by "grown men" about subjects they know little if anything about other than some rumour.

That's cool. I'm perfectly willing to let you show exactly who you are at all times. It's very helpful to any reality.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well, I can tell you that some material is authentic, and came from a lineage.

And other material is, as Sifu Allen states:

"Rare"

"Unique"

and

"Available only at Green Dragon"

So, he isn't lying.

It's just available only at Green Dragon, because that's probably where it originated.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post

"Rare"

"Unique"

and

So, he isn't lying.

It's just available only at Green Dragon, because that's probably where it originated.
    Some parts I have seen in ST qigong sets, some in the IW so I don't doubt that at all.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Freeman ONg from what I understand....

"Rare"

"Unique"

and

So, he isn't lying.

There' plenty of crap out there and it's from all over. Everything from "my way is the right way" to "this diet works" to "I can bend a sword on my neck and have a brick broken on my head with a hammer!"

All of this is nonsense. Why it is insisted that people point fingers at others while their own clothes are covered in the same blood is beyond me.

I can matter of fact point out people who were steeped in this and keep pointing away from themselves as if their version of the crap flavoured kool-aid was actually better. lol

hence my mocking of those here who mock others for playing in the same garden they themselves are in.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Let's also not forget that Allen photoshopped a picture of himself with Chang Dung Sheng and originally tried to say all his material was inspected and approved of by Chang.....

I can matter of fact point out people who were steeped in this and keep pointing away from themselves as if their version of the crap flavoured kool-aid was actually better
    The fact is, some Kool-Aid IS better than other Kool-Aid!

The problem then becomes, how to distinguish one from the other!