Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    To expand on what IF said above ( to which I agree with pretty much everything):
    Dynamic tension ( isokinetic) strength training has its benefits but they pale ( in terms of building pure strength) to weights simply because there is no "standard" way to progressively increase the resistance, which is crucial for building pure strength.
    This is even MORE the case in a set liek SW which is far TOO long to build anything BUT muscular endurance

The issue with isokinetic exercise is that you can't quantify the % of muscle strength you are using, in short you are either doing maximum tension or less than max, but you can't know how much less.

Dynamic tension means that you tense the muscles in a given movement and then move THROUGH the range of motion ( as opposed to isometrics where you stay at a specific point in the ROM). Because you are tensing every muscle you can in a conscious manner, you are ( supposedly) doing more work - take the curl for example:
    With weights you work the biceps ( primarily) but the triceps get minimal work.
    With DT because you are tensing the triceps also, you give them some work as well ( eccentric to the concentric of the curl).
    Again the issue is the % of intensity ( and also time under tension).
    Studies have shown that max tension can only be held for about 6-8 seconds and after that, you are not using strength but fighting of fatigue ( endurance), so a move the is using max tension will, typically, last about 3-5 seconds ( depending on the person).
    I whole dynamic tension set done with max ( or as close to max as we can) should last, at the most ( for strength purposes) about 10-12 min and that is WITH the pauses needed to "release" the tension between exercies.

It should be noted that the Tit sid kune of Hung Kune follows those parameters very well.

Again, if one is using a DT set to build pure strength ( and there are better methods) then one MUST use max tension ( or as close as we can get) in every move being done to develop the strength, outside that what is being developed is muscular endurance ( fighting off fatigue in the muscles).
    I'm stealing this explanation. All of it. And there's nothing you can do about it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

trying to do that "stone warrior" set will fuk you up. bad.

obviously this is aimed at bi curious karate guys, usually try it for 2 weeks and forget it. if you keep "training" this, you will die.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    The fact is, some Kool-Aid IS better than other Kool-Aid!

The problem then becomes, how to distinguish one from the other!
    The guy that attacks you with a sword whilst you are holding a gun. (metaphorically or otherwise)

This is how you distinguish a fool from others.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I'm stealing this explanation. All of it. And there's nothing you can do about it.
    Its a free world, steal to your hearts content, LMAO !
    It was a very basic explanation but the truth of the matter is that DT has been tried over and over in the ST circles and, well, there are just much better methods to us to build strength.
    Body builders use it though to get a nice "pump" in their posing routines.
    I think that it is useful within the context of doing a range of motion under load ( tension), something that we can't get really well with weights BUT again, either you are working through max tension ( or as close as possible) or you are not and there isn't really much in-between because you can't quantify a % in DT.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    The Green Dragon stuff truely was terrible.... that is not to say some of the things they did were ok, even good.. BUT, most was just produced to sell on video tape
    I feel like someone once said they watched a Green Dragon demo of some internal set and started laughing at how bad it was.

Would you say Green Dragon's sets are "interpretations" of the styles?

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Well, I can tell you that some material is authentic, and came from a lineage.

And other material is, as Sifu Allen states:

"Rare"

"Unique"

and

"Available only at Green Dragon"

So, he isn't lying.

It's just available only at Green Dragon, because that's probably where it originated.
    Would you say Green Dragon was trolling the KF world?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Let's also not forget that Allen photoshopped a picture of himself with Chang Dung Sheng and originally tried to say all his material was inspected and approved of by Chang.....
    Yes, that's what I was thinking of.
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    trying to do that "stone warrior" set will fuk you up. bad.
    Why?

Is there something wrong with it?
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    There' plenty of crap out there and it's from all over. Everything from "my way is the right way" to "this diet works" to "I can bend a sword on my neck and have a brick broken on my head with a hammer!"

All of this is nonsense. Why it is insisted that people point fingers at others while their own clothes are covered in the same blood is beyond me.

I can matter of fact point out people who were steeped in this and keep pointing away from themselves as if their version of the crap flavoured kool-aid was actually better. lol

hence my mocking of those here who mock others for playing in the same garden they themselves are in.
    There's no way this post is serious.

"their own clothes are covered in the same blood?" So you mean people who want to learn authentic kung fu shouldn't have the right to know if what they are learning is authentic or not? Their clothes aren't even stained, especially if they're new.

No one is that dumb. A+ trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    There's no way this post is serious.

"their own clothes are covered in the same blood?" So you mean people who want to learn authentic kung fu shouldn't have the right to know if what they are learning is authentic or not? Their clothes aren't even stained, especially if they're new.

No one is that dumb. A+ trolling.
    "authentic"...This means nothing to me. "Effective" This means something to me.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    "authentic"...This means nothing to me. "Effective" This means something to me.
    That's why I said "if someone wants to learn authentic kung fu" and not "if David Jamieson wants to learn effective kung fu."

For fun I Googled "Stone Warrior."

What is this?

http://www.martialartsmart.com/dvd-yvs341.html

The description sounds similar to the Green Dragon one. Is it by a Green Dragon student?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    Why?

Is there something wrong with it?
    for one example, he wiggles his spine like a snake, then tenses his abs and hits it.

you misalign every single one of your spinal discs, and then put pressure on them and squeeze them all.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

What is this?

The description sounds similar to the Green Dragon one. Is it by a Green Dragon student?

I think he bought some Green Dragon tapes, and reshot them himself to sell.

He sells books and other things, and his text uses buzzwords and slang directly from the video narrative.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

It looks like tension kata to me.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

What is this?

Because I think he put it best

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    The dweeb who is selling stone warrior is a little skinny stick named Thomas Keen, who is one of Jim Lacy's lunatic lohans.

Stay clear of this person.

I bought the dvd thinking he was affliated with Green Dragon. He is this skinny man who couldnt fight his way out of wet toilet paper.

BEWARE KEEN AND JIM LACY.

Yeah, I can use very colorful language.

Keen raises many red flags.

Claims to be an 8th dan in Shorin Ryu Karate and the man is in his 40's at best.

Who the heck ever heard of a real 8th dan in a well known Okinawan system at that age?

No one that I know.

oh well. Caveat Emptor.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.