Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Off shore drilling?

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    then Vote Republican. The Afl/cio And The Teamsters Are Huge Backers/contributors To The Democratic Party. When The Candidates They Support Win, Their Power Increases.
    5 Reasons I Will Never Vote Republican:

1. Oil Obsession
    2. Useless War Propagation
    3. Defense Scare-tactics And Missonary-styled Democracy Over Community Outreach And Lending A Helping Hand To People. Sure, You'd Say It Isn't The Govt's Job To Help People, But Spending Trillions Of Our Tax Dollars On Shooting Iraqi Civilians And Threatening Iran Certainly Isn't In Our Best Interest When It Could Be Put To Proper Use, And Is Not The Govt's Job...but Then, We Have Enron In Office, So Anything Goes.
    4. White Rich-boy Elitism
    5. You Are The Embodiment Of All That Is Evil And Wrong In This World, And Even Though I've Never Met You Face-to-face, I Imagine That You're As Two-faced In Real Life As You Are On The Net So We Don't Need To Meet Face-to-face, As You're Always Face-to-face, And Therefore Are The Living Embodiment Of All That Is Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    And Even Though I've Never Met You Face-to-face, I Imagine That You're As Two-faced In Real Life As You Are On The Net
    Thus proving you've never met me. I've never said anything on the net I won't say to the person's face. Ask anyone who has trained with me, like Zapruder for example.

So, what party do you usually vote? Libertarian?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Thus proving you've never met me. I've never said anything on the net I won't say to the person's face. Ask anyone who has trained with me, like Zapruder for example.
    Not exactly an impartial jury. Dude, you make arrangements, break them, and then flip out when something trivial happens.

You're like an umbrella-weilding Brittany Spears in a full-out meltdown.

BTW, I vote for "other".

Edit: If you're wondering why I trolled you, it's to demonstrate that you don't take meaningless and silly e-challenge matches seriously even as you take meaningless and silly e-challenge matches seriously.

You are, perhaps, the most ridiculous person on the internet. Clearly you see the divide, but you persist. This makes you an idiot. And what's worse, you're aware of this idiocy, and yet you persist in it, as well. This makes you a deliberate idiot.

I think that makes you a moron.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 06-21-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Not exactly an impartial jury. Dude, you make arrangements, break them, and then flip out when something trivial happens.
    Whatever. That's Fox and SifuExcuses.

But lets get back on topic, or put this in the appropriate thread.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Whatever. That's Fox and SifuExcuses.

But lets get back on topic, or put this in the appropriate thread.
    Why I don't think off-shore drilling is a good thing for the US.

HMMMMMM........

Well, take a look at the Middle East.

Now that that's settled, what's next on the agenda?

Excerpt from a blog in 2003.

According to conventional wisdom, there are two ways for the US to reduce dependence on foreign oil: increase domestic production or decrease demand. Either way, though, the country would remain hostage to overseas producers. Consider the administration's ill-fated plan to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. For all the political wrangling and backlash, that area's productivity isn't likely to offset declining output from larger US oil fields, let alone increase the total supply from domestic sources. As for reducing demand, the levers available are small and ineffectual. The average car on the road is nine years old, so even dramatic increases in fuel efficiency today won't head off dire consequences tomorrow. Moreover, the dynamism at the heart of the US economy depends on energy. Growth and consumption are inextricably intertwined.
    There's only one way to insulate the US from the corrosive power of oil, and that's to develop an alternative energy resource that's readily available domestically. Looking at the options - coal, natural gas, wind, water, solar, and nuclear. Not very good options from where i am sitting.
    There's only one thing that can provide a wholesale substitute for foreign oil within a decade: hydrogen. Hydrogen stores energy more effectively than current batteries, burns twice as efficiently in a fuel cell as gasoline does in an internal combustion engine (more than making up for the energy required to produce it), and leaves only water behind. It's plentiful, clean, and - critically - capable of powering cars.
    here is where you can read the rest of it.
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.04/hydrogen.html

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Here's why you shouldn't be in favor of a head-on collision with Iran:

1. We can't win in Iraq, and we won't make that committment in the face of Iranian aggression on top of that.
    2. We'll never have the money to fund that war. I've got 600 bucks of Iranian conflict funds in my bank account, and I won't give it back for a million bucks.
    3. Iran will win, take over Iraq, clean it up, and nationalize all oil facilities anywhere in the area.
    4. We pay more for gas than ever.
    5. We drill in the US. We run out.
    6. We die from radiation from a depleted ozone, or the world's flooded and we invest in wind technology--sailboats for instance.

Honestly, though, our civilization is screwed any way you look at it. We won't stop producing, economically or reproductively, so there will always be more demand, and always fewer resources. Economically, we've moved to a commuter culture, and big business have ouverrun smaller businesses, thus decreasing nearby jobs. So, we travel to a Wal-Mart rather than walking to the corner store. But now cities are meccas for big business and poor people. So, the poor are migrating to suburbia. There's competition for low-wage local jobs, which push the wealthier to commuter employment.

We have a greedy culture that demands what is not there, or what will not be there for very long, in the long run. If we're not responsible now, nobody will be. So, we either invest in alternative fuels and solar/wind technology, or we die by the capitalist sword we all seem so intent on polishing.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 06-21-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Very true.

Not to go off-topic, but the R&D issue is a huge thing that universal, government mandated healthcare will likely destroy. As their will be caps on what new drugs can sell for, drug companies will cut R&D because a huge reason new drugs cost so much is the drug companies are trying to recoup their R&D investment in that drug. If they cannot charge what they feel they need to in order to recoup their investment, they will likely cut their R&D budgets.

The same thing may well happen if this 'Windfall Tax' garbage gets levied on the oil companies. They could cut their R&D/exploration budgets to make up for the money they will lose to more taxes.
    Agreed again. The only feasable way to manage rising costs is to manage taxes a bit better. And that ain't going to happen till the government stops thinking they can, or should, save us from ourselves.

Someone once said to me that common sence isn't so common any more. I bet if people couldn't run to Uncle Sam every time they spilled hot coffee on themselves common sence might make a come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    here is where you can read the rest of it.
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.04/hydrogen.html

Peace,TWS
    Wired is well known for passing garbage. You'd be as likely to get good info off Wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

See, I'm not suck a ****

I once again agree with Becca.

I say if we can get solar powered/hydrogen powered/electrical cars produced en masse immediately and aso retrofit all pumps within a couple of months then I'm against offshore drilling.

But stop blaming the president. We were using gas because it was cheap and easy, and nobody ever complained. Now when the prices start skyrocketing, we suddenly want to blame everyone except our own excesses. Where was the huge public push back in the 80s for renewable energy? A few mavericks with inefficient, poorly funded projects was all that was there.

We have to drill offshore not because the president is some evil monster, but because Americans are consuming more than they give back, and don't complain until it becomes inconvenient. Too late, folks. Too **** late.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Becca

Most Blog sites are going to have their reputation for passing garbage,however, i feel that this particular bit of info is not garbage at all. Hydrogen Fuel is a good idea, it just needs the full comittment of everyone. Crossing over to anything new is going to be difficult and expensive, but consider what $$$ we are already spending anyway, In iraq, the Oil industry(who are reaping massive profits).

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I can hardly wait to see the unexpected consequences of billions of vehicles spitting out water vapor throughout the world.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Drake.

So the planet becomes a tropical paradise as a result. Better that than what is currently happening as a consequence of our use of fossil fuels.
    I suppose that water vapor emissions would contribute to insect populations increasing and therefore increases the use of pesticides to deal with them. We have massive outbreaks of malaria and west nile virus due to the tropical conditions world wide. OR the water vapor contributes to the Mold Allergens and we start to suffer form massive mold allergies and the drug companies become more rich than ever due to their manufactoring of allergy medications with terrible side effects(as per usual of drug companies). Or for some freakish reason a Hydrogen Fuel cell malfunctions and tiny little hydrogen bomb like explosions occur reducing our populations. The Hydrogen Car manufactorers go bankrupt spending Billions on ads on TV to tell the general public that things are okay and dont fear the hydrogen just because of a few isolated nuclear explosions.

Gee the list could go on and on couldnt it?

Peace,TWS