Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canadian legal system on da crack

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    There is nothing direct, nothing but the feeling that you will see more and more of these type of laws trying to be passed and passed with more accuracy by the far left crowd once and if Obama gets in and puts down his own army of judges.

It's all the about the judges.

It is a weak connection and requires some creativity but as the most far left prez canidate to ever run you wonder what is in store for us if he claims the seat.

BTW-It was not a six pack but a twenty four case.

No one mentioned beating a kid James. Work on your comprehension of the issue.

Do you even have kids?
    Yes, I do, what's it to you? And he's grown up and he's never felt my hand on him to bring harm. I've used the stern voice, the posturing and when he was old enough, the time of reason. But if a person needs to strike a small child to discipline them it is because they do not know a method that is a working alternative or they may not have the disposition or patience required to parent properly?

When we are talking about corporal punishment, we are talking about inflicting violenec upon children as a valid form of discipline. In my opinion it is not. I know literally droves of people who do not spank or otherwise physically discipline their children. Their kids are fine and a lot less unruly than a lot of the kids I grew up with who did get corporal punishment, in fact, the kids who got the worse treatment were often the ones who ended up in trouble with the law or in trouble at school constantly etc etc.

man, it seems so obvious to me that it is simply wrong and a broken behaviour. Kinda sad that people still advocate using force on those who cannot actually sustain that force.

some of you guys can barely understand how to issue force at it is. You think you can properly measure how hard to hit a child?

by all means, make fun of me for seeing it differently, I can only wonder what runs through your minds at times and reaffirm my distrust of humanity in a greater sense.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

by all means, make fun of me for seeing it differently, I can only wonder what runs through your minds at times and reaffirm my distrust of humanity in a greater sense.
    No one is making fun of you, take it down a peg. You don't have the belief in the use of corporal punishment, which is more than fair. But to act that it should be off the table for others by use of forced government mandate is what this post is about.

But again, a small cuff or spanking, what for most is loving discipline, is a far cry from child abuse. Get off the elitist based criticism for once in awhile.

Hell, I don't even spank, but the method is not off the table and I certain do not want it off the table for others, when it is none of my business.

It often strikes me as odd, that some of the same people, who advocate killing millions on millions, of unborn children through the medical procedure of abortion get all bent out of shape from a time honored and proven method of correction.

Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    When does a spanking become a beating?

When the hip gives? When the kidney gets hit? When the gluteous swells?

I'm not talking about a tap along, and neither is the court. They are talking about corporal punishment be it in the form of spankings (which is not how it's worded but rather how it is presented so people can wrap their heads around it).

I think we do need to take a look at our behaviours as a society and draw those lines in the social contract of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable and frankly, I am not ok with raising your hand towards a child in any way shape or means.

tossing teens out of establishments that are for 19+ is a different story and we are getting into splitting hairs here.
    The issue is that 99% of the times, that is what spanking is, a tap along, a smack on the butt to get their attention.
    That's why you don't see any cases in court.
    People that beat their kids couldn't care less about the law and the law was already there for that kind of abuse.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yes, I do, what's it to you? And he's grown up and he's never felt my hand on him to bring harm. I've used the stern voice, the posturing and when he was old enough, the time of reason. But if a person needs to strike a small child to discipline them it is because they do not know a method that is a working alternative or they may not have the disposition or patience required to parent properly?
    So, instead of corporal punishment you used emotional and psychological punishment on a child, nice.

See how it works?

For every that sees a slap on the butt as a "beating" there is someone that sees posturing as intimidation and stern voice as vocal assault and degradation.

reaffirm my distrust of humanity in a greater sense
    your loss. but at least now a lot of what you say, politically, makes sense to me.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You know, when I see videos like that and the fact that YOU put up the link, all I can say is that you are a *snarl* LIBERAL LINK POSTER *snarl* !!

Of course, this is NOT a typical case:

Inaction in boy's killing called justified
    Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writer
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA2G11ARO9.DTL
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008

(06-17) 19:07 PDT TURLOCK (STANISLAUS COUNTY) -- The town of Turlock and much of the rest of the nation was shocked when a 27-year-old man beat and stomped his 2-year-old son to death on a rural road. But what was nearly as stunning for many people was that none of the motorists and their passengers who stopped and saw the attack tried to tackle the man.

Police officers and psychologists familiar with violent emergencies, however, said they weren't surprised at all.

A volunteer firefighter and at least five others saw Sergio Casian Aguiar assaulting his son Saturday night on the road west of Turlock (Stanislaus County), but it wasn't until a police officer arrived in a helicopter that the attack finally ended. Aguiar refused to halt the attack and raised his middle finger at the officer, who shot him to death, authorities said.

Bystanders are justifiably scared and confused in such situations, the experts said Wednesday, and they lack the experience needed to respond with force. They can also be mesmerized by shock.

John Conaty, a veteran homicide detective and former patrol officer in Pittsburg, said that in interviews of witnesses to violence, "the common thing you hear is, 'I was frozen in fear. I just couldn't take action.' "

Conaty questioned whether the witnesses had even been capable of stopping Aguiar. "If they were physically able, you have to take a look at whether they were psychologically prepared to intervene," he said.

"I would not condemn these people," said John Darley, a professor of psychology and public affairs at Princeton University who has studied how bystanders react in emergency situations. "Ordinary people aren't going to tackle a psychotic.

"What we have here," Darley said, "is a group of family and friends who are not pre-organized to deal with this stuff. They don't know who should do what. ... If you had five volunteer firefighters pull up, you would expect them to have planned responses and a division of labor. But that's not what we had here."

Darley said he was also not surprised that people who weren't at the scene of the killing believe they would have been heroic Good Samaritans.

"It's an aspiration," he said. "They hope they would have done differently."

First on the scene
    One of the witnesses, Deborah McKain of nearby Crows Landing, said she was the first to pull up to the beating scene with her boyfriend, a volunteer fire chief who is 52, as well as her 20-year-old son, her son's wife and her son's male friend. They called 911 at 10:13 p.m., police said.

Over the next seven minutes, McKain said, Aguiar kicked his son at least 100 times as he calmly stated that he needed to "get the demons out" of the boy.

"It was like I was on some type of drug or something," McKain recalled Tuesday. "I couldn't believe what was going on. It was like a dream."

She said her boyfriend, Dan Robinson, forcefully argued with Aguiar in an effort to get him to stop, but that he would not. At one point, another woman, 23-year-old Lisa Mota, pulled up in her car, but stayed inside.

"We were looking for rocks or boards on the ground, just to knock him out, get him under control. But we couldn't find anything," McKain said. "We didn't know if he had a knife or any kind of weapon on him."

McKain said she wondered whether Aguiar was on hallucinogenic drugs and whether fighting with him might lead him to hurt several of the witnesses.

She also said it appeared the child was "gone."

People who are second-guessing her and her family can "never know until they're in that situation," McKain said. "We would have loved to knock his head off, too, but we had nothing to knock it off with."

Deputy Royjindar Singh, a spokesman for the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department, acknowledged there was some "Monday morning quarterbacking" taking place, but said his agency had no problem with the actions of the witnesses.

'Everybody acts differently'
    "Your headlights are shining on a person taking the life out of an infant, and not just shaking and slapping but punching and kicking," Singh said. "Everybody reacts differently."

Sheriff's investigators are still trying to determine why Aguiar, a grocery store worker who recently split up from his schoolteacher wife, killed his son so savagely. The boy's name still has not been released.

Investigators have learned that Aguiar left his home near downtown Turlock before the beating, but they don't know why he drove about 10 miles into an area of cornfields and dairy ranches, Singh said. He said investigators had found no evidence of drug use at Aguiar's house or in his pickup, though results of toxicology tests have not yet come back.

Aguiar's wife, who was in Southern California at the time of the slaying, and others have told investigators that Aguiar "wasn't acting differently than how he normally acts," Singh said. Aguiar's family members, who live in Mexico, were traveling to Stanislaus County to talk to deputies, Singh said.

"As of right now," Singh said, "nobody's saying he was having problems at all. It's baffling. It sounds like there was nothing anyone could have done."

E-mail Demian Bulwa at dbulwa@sfchronicle.com.