Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the components necessary to create / become an effective fighter?

What are the components necessary to create / become an effective fighter?

I'm going to be doing a presentation in one of my classes in a few days and because I'm being graded on my presentation skills moreso than the content, I decided to do it on something I know and can talk about easily.

I'm in the process of brainstorming for the format and content, and wanted to get some ideas from you all. That said--how would you answer the question:

"How do you become an effective fighter?"
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

A strong house is built on a strong foundation, ie BASICS

The fastest racecar can't win a race without fuel, ie CONDITIONING

You can't reach a destination if you don't have the directions, ie STRATEGY

or, the Five P's

Proper Preparation Precludes Poor Performance
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    you must have focus. Not simply concentration, but the ability to be completely dispassionate. To see your opponent, not as another human being, with thoughts and feelings, but as an object to be destroyed.
    -that, and snakeskin boots, which are always in fashion, no matter what the season.

I agree with lkfmdc's post. With one caveat.

There are some people that simply do not have the psychological makeup to be an effective fighter. They are the ones that either can't do it due to fear, lack of aggressiveness, whatever.

Usually these people are not drawn to this type of training but every so often...

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    I agree with lkfmdc's post. With one caveat.

There are some people that simply do not have the psychological makeup to be an effective fighter. They are the ones that either can't do it due to fear, lack of aggressiveness, whatever.

Usually these people are not drawn to this type of training but every so often...
    To me, that seems obvious, not everyone is a fighter. The one thing you can NOT teach is "heart".....

Recently we had a huge discussion about the lazy guy and/or the "wannabe" who wants to call themselves fighters but just don't have it in them

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The mental part is important.

One of my instructors has a guy making his debut on Saturday. He always says you never know how a guy will do in front of a crowd with a real opponent in front of him until he actually does it.

And heart is so important too. Is he the kind of guy whose body is saying 'no more', yet he just won't quit.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

ballz/heart
    technique (timing, offense, defense)
    athleticism (strength, speed, endurance)

too much of a disparity in any one area and you could be in for a bad night.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

A cool nickname is crucial.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    A cool nickname is crucial.
    and tattoos, lots of tattoos, the guy with the best ink wins usually

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    thus answers the age-old question, "why aren't there any jews in the UFC?"

To paraphrase what has been said already:

Mastery of Basics.

Conditioning (this includes strength, flexibility, speed and endurance).

Intent.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

some things that may be important to some people:

-not being afraid of being injured.
    -not being afraid to injure another human.
    -knowing when you can walk away from and when you must stop another persons aggression.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

1. the will to fight
    2. the conditioning to strike and be struck
    3. endurance, staying power
    4. skill and martial ability developed through training
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    you must have focus. Not simply concentration, but the ability to be completely dispassionate. To see your opponent, not as another human being, with thoughts and feelings, but as an object to be destroyed.
    -that, and snakeskin boots, which are always in fashion, no matter what the season.
    LOL......

I'd say humility, because you have to learn to fight before you can fight and be open to suggestion. I'd say compassion as well, rather than being completely destructive, but then I have more of a compassionate ideology than your Skeletor tactics. You have to recognize when you are outclassed, and when you have the advantage.

Quick Wits are another vital component. Even when you are outclassed, you can still win if you play clever and smart. And, even when you have the advantage, you have to know what will make you lose that advantage in a second. Humility also helps you recognize your weaknesses, and quick wits will keep you from overstepping your boundaries. Plus, it helps you recognize that you can never control what another human being will do. You can only exercise self control. Luckily, your self control can shape how another will react to you.

If you're a tournament fighter, it's different, I know.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 06-21-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

A lot of you have the same broad catagories that I had in mind as well. Except that I've formatted mine a little differently.

In discussing the attributes necessary to be an effective fighter, I divided the attributes into 2-3 areas--Psychological traits, Emotional/character traits, and physical traits.

For the psychological; I have the ability to devise a strategy and set of tactics to accomplish the goal

For the emotional, I have all the things like preserverance, drive, aggressiveness, humility, and the like.

For the physical, I have the martial arts training--with a mastery of the basics in all the broad catagories areas of fighting. I also have of course the necessity to supplement the technique skills with conditioning and supplemental training.

Good formatting or no?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."