Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Fighter

Move on everybody, the new question is:
    Was Bobby robbed?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

was bobby robbed?

the other cat fought a tough fight, but when you come right down to it, Bobby handled him the whole time.

yes, he was robbed

i've missed all but last night's ep & one two more...when did the drunk get kicked off the show? the little guy...laben?
    In mildness is the strength of steel

Either one of the judges didn't like him or he didn't sell that he was handling him the whole time. On first watch Bobby got taken down more and was backing up a lot, so to me no matter what he was doing it looked like he was getting handled. On second watch I can see that he was doing better than I first thought.

Question for the guys here that fight: So far in the ring the fighters look a little reserved with each other. Is this because of the way the show is set up that the fighters are playing it safe and trying not to lose rather than trying to win, or is this the norm for fighters at this level?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Rogue,

I'd say it's a match up thing. They look reserved because they generally don't fight guys that good. They do a lot of little of little things in positioning to negate each other's attacks. To the layman, it looks like he pulled a punch or didn't capitalize on an oppurtunity. To the guys in the ring, they see the guy reposition or begin a defense that would have nullified the attack, so they stop. In the mismatch like Diego vs Karelexis, you can clearly see they are not hesitant when they gain the advantage. Same with Southworth trading punches with that first guy he knocked out. The trouble is gaining that advantage.

I trained with Kenny before he was serious into Thai, so I can't wait to see how his game is. He is a great grappler though and aggressive as anything. His motto is win at all costs to avoid a judges decision. In one superfight I saw him in (at the first NAGA tourney I ever competed in), he was clearly ahead on points and knew there was less than 20 seconds in the match left. He still passed his opponents guard and tapped him with an armbar in those 20 seconds. He'll be aggressive if he can be. I'm sure most of those guys are like that.

Thanks Ford good points. I should have noticed the slight repositioning, so Doh on me. I'm going to watch it again and look for those.

DM

haha! Not saying that's the case each time. I'm sure nerves of being on national TV, in a UFC octagon, with UFC top brass looking plays into it some as does over-estimating the opponent and not wanting to get caught. Thinking too much instead of just getting in there and banging like they normally do...

Motherfocker! I twice got within 11MB and 16MB of getting Eps 1-5 and then both times it mysteriously froze right at the end. Giving up now 'cause crappy Oz ISP laws mean your download limit is capped per month and these two failed downloads significantly advanced me towards my limit.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Sorry guys that I don't have the Episode 7 up yet. My roommate was messing with our router at home and unplugged the wrong cable which went to the ReplayTv box. I didn't have time to figure it out Tuesday morning but got everything worked out last night. I left for work this morning with the video file saving. I'll have it uploaded early tonight.

Toby you should get a download manager so you can resume downloads. I was using FlashGet for a while but I believe it has spy/adware. I'm doing some research now to get a different one and will let you know what I find.

Toby,

Perhaps you should move off that prison colony island...

Dana talks to Bobby and tries to calm him down. Bobby feels that he did more damage and deserved to win. Dana reminds him that he knows never to leave a decision to the judges. Irate, Bobby says he feels like someone stole something from him.
    I love this exerpt from the website. Bobby was laphing hard when it happened to someone else...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    Motherfocker! I twice got within 11MB and 16MB of getting Eps 1-5 and then both times it mysteriously froze right at the end. Giving up now 'cause crappy Oz ISP laws mean your download limit is capped per month and these two failed downloads significantly advanced me towards my limit.
    Should try grabbing torrents of the episodes.

I don't know about a "robbery". I thought the fight was close enough that it should have gone a third round but there was no injustice in giving it Bonner. If you review the fight through the wonders of Tivo's slow-mo you'll see:

What the judges look at:
    First off, Southworth backed up the entire fight and that is no way to endear yourself to the judges.
    Second, Southworth has heavier hands but only landed two shots that hurt Bonner, ignore the crowd. Bonner had the edge in punches thrown and was the more aggressive/active of the two fighters.
    Third, Bonner had two escapes to Southworth 's one.
    Fourth, Bonner had three takedowns to Southworth's one.

If you break it down by round:
    ROUND 1:
    Strikes: Bonner 8, Southworth 5
    Takedowns: Bonner 1, Southworth 0
    Submission Attempts: Bonner 1, Southworth 0

ROUND 2:
    Strikes: Bonner 11, Southworth 10
    Takedowns: Bonner 2, Southworth 1
    Submission Attempts: Bonner 0, Southworth 1

For each of the takedowns there was a reversal so you can double that.
    Last edited by Din Gao; 03-02-2005 at 08:32 AM.

I think even Randy C thought it was going to go a third round. Impresssions count and Bonner gave me the impression of being the more aggressive of the two.

DM

Yeah, my first impression was it was a draw with the edge to Bonner but a third round would have been fair. I couldn't really tell who looked more gassed by the end but it was probably Bonner.

Overall, I think he had the right attitude. He went out aggressive and in the pre-fight he was thinking it would be hard to stop Bobby in two rounds to get the $5000. Definitely a better fight then Leben vs. Koschek.

Quote Originally Posted by Din Gao
    Yeah, my first impression was it was a draw with the edge to Bonner but a third round would have been fair. I couldn't really tell who looked more gassed by the end but it was probably Bonner.

Overall, I think he had the right attitude. He went out aggressive and in the pre-fight he was thinking it would be hard to stop Bobby in two rounds to get the $5000. Definitely a better fight then Leben vs. Koschek.
    Agree with your assessment there. Bonner edged Bobby out on points and was more aggressive and set the tempo of the fight.