Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
    SPOILER...

I was disappointed with the way the fight went. Diego was very active on the ground but they both showed mediocre stand-up for the level they are competing at. Diego reminded me of a guy from on old video game with those telegraphed straights and the looping uppercuts. I was definately impressed with Diego stuffing so many of Koshecks takedowns. Kosh definately held on to a few way too long. I'd imagine Kenny would try to keep it standing again in the finals. He definately can beat Diego toe-to-toe, but I don't see him taking Diego down. If they go down, Diego will most likely be on top, so with his size advantage, I think he could GNP Kenny there. I don't see him getting a sub if he can't hold one against Kosh though.
    I agree with what you said--Diego's standup was average at best.

D*mn morning meetings, you beat me to it. Both fighters were way to stiff in their standup. They punch straight from the shoulder with little to no body mechanics. Diego did throw some decent knees though and he clearly won the fight. I have no idea what fight that one judge scored or where Bobby's comment came from. He and Koschek should just get a room already.

If nothing else, we know Kenny has a chin and can take a punch. He doesn't have to worry much with Diego's standup I agree with your assessment on Diego's size and strength advantage, that will be a factor if he gets the positioning. I haven't seen Diego take a decent shot yet but I am not sure how heavy Kenny's hands are... It should be a decent fight either way. For me it will be a toss up.

So far the best stand up, IMO, has come from Bobby and Stefan.

Diego will have an easy win against the next guy.

No way at all.

Diego will win by ground and pounding his way to a decision or possible stoppage.

Or

Kenny will win via standing KO or submission.

It may be a very exciting fight with lots of flurries and fruious ground activity, or it could be a snooze fest with Diego laying in Kenny's guard for 3 rounds. We'll find out the 9th.

I think they have a rule in Las Vegas that one of ghe judges has to be gay, which would explain the 30-27 for koschek
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

strange that Diego has fought three times and some of the other guys haven't fought at all. I can't wait to see Sam. I predict a record KO from Southworth to him.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

It was a good fight, I agree that both could use a little more bm in thier punching.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Episode 11 is up on the first post, along with a new Episodes 6 through 10 file

That was a great fight! I totally agree about their standup. This just goes to show you the dynamic nature of MMA. Their standup wasn't impressive but Diego showed some super slick ground skills. How'd you guys like Diegos transitions to triangle and even going for Josh's back from the 69 position? I almost creamed my pants. If Diego had been able to finish with a sub, especially with that transition from 69 in round 3, that would have been in my top 5 favorite UFC fights of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by truewrestler
    How'd you guys like Diegos transitions to triangle and even going for Josh's back from the 69 position? I almost creamed my pants. If Diego had been able to finish with a sub, especially with that transition from 69 in round 3, that would have been in my top 5 favorite UFC fights of all time.
    I thought that was pretty cool too, I just wish he could've stuck one.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to submission wrestling, but I had a question. Why was Diego having trouble sticking the submissions? Was it more because Koscheck powered out of them, was it because of all the sweat, or some other reason?

Diego controlled the ground and moved well, especially in the 3rd round as you mentioned. He was never in any trouble even when he gave up his back in the 2nd, I believe. I honestly think at that point he knew there was nothing Koschek could do to hurt him with his lay & pray style on the ground so he took an unnecessary risk IMO. He nearly pulled off a number of submissions; kimura, triangle, armbar, guillotine, etc. I was actually surprised he didn't submit him. Credit to Koschek for staying enough out of harm's way with his lay & pray style. I enjoy it more now that I am thinking back on it. At the time, I was too horrifed by their standup. LOL

Have you ever seen any of his fights before? He is pretty slick.

I agree with Ford's assessment on Diego vs. Kenny but I am going with my heart here. In my opinion, if Diego cannot submit a Koschek, he is not going to submit Kenny. And if Leben cant knock out Kenny, neither can Diego. So I say Kenny wins.

Reggie1, it was probably six of one, half dozen the other. He was stronger then Diego so he could pick him up and 'bounce' out of some things. Also, and may be from wrestling, he didn't over-extend himself in any position for Diego to trap a limb cleanly. That guillotine choke was sunk in pretty deep though at the end of round 1. His biggest mistake IMO was he kept his head low (knees) and exposed (chokes).

The magic of sweat. I sweat alot and in a no-gi setting that is sometimes my saving grace. LOL

I see a lot of people commenting on the 69 to back transition. I don't get it. It was one of the first things I learned in BJJ class. The reason why you don't see it much is because it's hard as hell to pull off on an experienced sub wrestler since he's seen the move plenty of times and is ready to defend it. The guy is certainly slick on the ground. Not taking anything away from him. He'd tap me in 10 seconds I'm sure. That move is no big deal though.

I agree he couldn't pull of those sub due to sweat, fatigue, and Kosh's strength. Diego can't KO or sub Kenny, but he may be able to take him down and win like Kosh did with Leben. I'm sure Kenny had been training the sprawl like crazy since he knew he was facing Diego.

I know it is a common move in grappling. I just haven't seen it in MMA before and was excited when I saw him go for it.

my question is, what are they doing with the light heavyweights? if the finale is april 9, are they gonna have a show on the 4th to decide the two light heavyweights? if so, they're gonna have to fight again just 5 days later? or will it pick up from where it left off next season (if there's another T.U.F.)? granted, i haven't watched episode 11 yet so maybe i'll find the answer once i do.