Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Fighter

BTW, thanks again, TW!

I've been training well with the intention of going out but my master is very set on making sure I have it right before I do so again .... just that this is a great opportunity -- to fight THOSE GUYS on THAT SHOW.

Other than that I have friends at Gracie's school in Manhattan and Mr. Ross has developed an open MMA event locally .... I've been staying a way from both because I intend to eventually be competing against these men. What I am training is different. Notice I did not say better or worse, just different.

I have a HUGE advantage ... I know what to expect from them but they have no idea of what to expect from an E-Chuan stylist. I tend to take advantage of that. How long? I'm hoping within 18 months. It's my master's call. I've been trying to practice patience.

At the same time, if you have a random MMA friend in the neighborhood, I'm in Long Beach, NY, and always interested in a friendly game of wits.

the first link doesn't have a show forum, just post on the main forum requesting info

no, I would definitely not start my MMA career by challenging someone considered one of the best in the nation. I don't think you understand the level that the guys on the show are at. I would jump at the chance to train with any of them but I see no point in getting completely owned. I would train my ass off for MMA and start at local shows and work my way up if I was serious about it.

I roll my eyes because I don't see what the point is in challenging one of them? To prove Kung Fu? Do you have any legit standup and groundskills? Ever fought MMA in your life? If you have been doing MMA type training and believe you have some phenominal skills then that's great and I wish you luck. If you haven't then you need to wake up and be realistic.

Just trying to be helpful. I don't know you and have no idea of your skill level. I'm just working off a stereotype I have of a KungFuer who would challenge a top MMA figher. My #1 advice is to check out an MMA school in your area (NY right? Renzo Gracie and Matt Serra's schools come to mind) and see how training is and how you compare to the students there. If you haven't had much exposure to grappling and MMA this will be a huge eye opener.
    Last edited by truewrestler; 02-16-2005 at 07:58 AM.

"Do you have any legit standup and groundskills? Ever fought MMA in your life? "

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Do you think I live in a vacuum? I know perfectly well what can happen going into a cage with a trained fighter.

At the same time, for the right reason I'll fight anyone. They are just men. And from the two shows I watched they are not particularly impressive men on many grounds.

I wouldn't want to fight Chuck or Randy yet ... I need more experience. But I would certainly fight the others. I'm not impressed by their stand up game. And from what I've seen, their ground game is regular.

I don't hold some mysterious thing with MMA. One good shot to the chin, an elbow on their exposed collar bone, and they're hurting like anyone else made of flesh and bone. The best man wins .... usually.

Originally posted by Ray Pina
    I've been training well with the intention of going out but my master is very set on making sure I have it right before I do so again .... just that this is a great opportunity -- to fight THOSE GUYS on THAT SHOW.

Other than that I have friends at Gracie's school in Manhattan and Mr. Ross has developed an open MMA event locally .... I've been staying a way from both because I intend to eventually be competing against these men. What I am training is different. Notice I did not say better or worse, just different.

I have a HUGE advantage ... I know what to expect from them but they have no idea of what to expect from an E-Chuan stylist. I tend to take advantage of that. How long? I'm hoping within 18 months. It's my master's call. I've been trying to practice patience.
    is another one of those that has been training in kung fu and can beat people with it... HA!!!

same people that after they fall on their backs they are like turtles
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?

Ray Pina,

I've rolled with Gracie's, guys who've fought in the UFC/Pride/Abu Dhabi, and I've also rolled with a guy on that show... If you think some of those guys' ground game is regular, then you have absolutely no clue. They hear that "in 18 months I'll be ready to fight MMA" stuff all the time. Save your breath until you are ready and have actually proven yourself at local shows. You aren't going to get a fight with some of the best fighters in the country right off the bat. If you insist on one, then it's obvious that it's a cop out.

I'm not insisting anything and understand what you are saying. I posted on their board. All I am saying is that MMA say kung fu never wants to put up. I will put up to fight on that show if given the opportunity. What do they have to lose? Certainly its in the budget to fly someone out there? If they don't like it, they could edit it out.

If they beat the hell out of me, its good for them .... shows how much better they are than average martial artists, good for ratings too.

I'm not fighting right now (at least not in anything official), but I though it wouldn't hurt to try. If I listened to every person who told me I shouldn't fight because I can ruin a handsome face or shouldn't surf that wave because its to shallow .... well, I wouldn't be me. I believe in what my master is teaching me and my ability to protect myself.

ray

have you trained in grappling? if so how many years?
    also any other form of striking (ie boxing, muay thai)?

just wondering
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?

My first experience with grappling was back in the day when I was doing Isshin-Ryu. But everything has changed since meeting my master so to be honest, I can say I only have 3 years of experience.

Listen, I don't know what the big deal is. I train and simply sought to fight someone that could help me. If I fight some random MMA guy what does that do for me? I can get hurt, and if I beat him nobody sees it, and if they do they just say he's no good anyway.

I'll be out fighting in a major circuit somewhere somehow soon enough. I've just caught a few episodes of that show and frankly, I think I can hang with those guys.

For those with MMA connections though, you can now say a kung fu guy has challenged some MMA guys. Maybe you can make this happen. I'll fight any of those guys on the show minus Chuck or Randy.

i see your post

fyi: the show has already been taped and only the finals are left which will be shown live April 9th

Here is another good place to check out. Contact Info on UFC's website about getting into the UFC:
    http://www.ufc.tv/articles/faq/faq.asp#1

Talk talk talk. Save your breath until you actually have some experience in the ring and have proven that you can make it past local shows. Everybody else does. Right now you are just another guy talking smack. Nothing else.

Ray man, I hope you make national TV with them or atleast PPV.

-Will

I thought I'd give them a shot.

Looks like I need to just exercise some patience. Mr. Ross's San Da league isn't happening anymore and that's a shame but I've always been interested in MMA fighting anyway. So my focus the past few months have been on stopping the shoot and clinching, etc.

When my master gives me the nod I'll join a MMA league and give it my best shot.

Ford, a guy asking -- begging -- for a fight .... it's talk only because the other won't make it happen. I'm a nice guy, but I'll fight anyone, and that includes you if you have some sort of problem with me and are in New York. A fight aint no thing. I'm not scared of it. Don't accuse me of talk. That's an insult.

Truewrestler already pointed out that you have both Renzo Gracie and the Serra Brothers schools in your area if you want to test yourself against MMA fighters. There are plenty of other school but why not start at the top. You can't throw a rock at Renzo's without hitting a Gracie and there are plenty of other fighters. Just tell them you want to fight them. Hell, you already said you are in with some of the guys from the school so it should be no problem. They got a ring there or you could do it on the mats. They are open six days a week.

Keep in mind some of these guys are sponsored and they may not see much in it for them to fight some nut (nothing personal) off the street. As somebody else mentioned before you have to build a rep for yourself in local events if you want to play with the big dogs but there are plenty of other people there that will.

Ray,

Give me a break. If you can't figure out why no good pro fighting orginization or pro-fighter would give you a shot, then let me tell you why:

A) The UFC has absolutely nothing to gain by giving you a shot. They want competitive fights and not somebody getting knocked out or submitted in 20 seconds. A drawn-out battle is more exciting than *bell rings* *fight ends immediately*. You are a completely untested MMA fighter. Why would they risk that when they have hundreds of seasoned MMA fighters who are already making noise in the business to choose from? It makes no sense. Logically, they shouldn't even waste time taking your phone call. You have to prove yourself first.

B) Why would any good pro take the fight? There is nothing for them to gain by it. If they win, yipee! They just beat a completely untested fighter like they should have. Their career and reputation aren't helped by it one iota. If a freak occurence happens and they get caught or they injure themselves while in the process of breaking your face, then they just threw away their career on a nobody. Again, what a wonderful career move!

I assume you've ascertained this for yourself since it's clearly obvious to anybody with any logical reasoning ability, thus I assume you are just talking smack. If you claim you are so ready to fly to Vegas in a couple weeks to fight some of the best fighters in the country, then why not fight in the next local show? The pickings will be significantly easier there, so not only will you have an easy fight, but you'll make immediate noise due to your IMA background. You'll be one step closer to living your dream. However, you say you'll fight some of the country's best in 2 weeks time (which anybody with brain power will figure out will not happen, so it's just empty talking), yet you'll need 18 months to train to fight some other unknown in a local event? lol! So sorry for thinking you are just flapping your gums.

It's pretty easy. Step up, fight, and win in local shows and you'll start seeing doors openning for you. If you are still 18 months away from even fighting in a local show, then don't talk until you are actually ready to back it up. Then talk all you want.

If you can't see how some guy with no MMA experience who challenges some of the best fighters in the country to an immediate match but will only fight scrubs on 18 months notice doesn't seem like a guy who is just talking, then I have no idea what else to say. If you'll fight me, then fight a local guy in an MMA show instead. A fight "aint no thing" after all...