Thread: Chan Sau Chung

Blog Entries
    That handstand double kick was awesome!

That was probably one of the best monkey routines I've ever seen on the net. That dude has always been on my favorites list.

The Monkey King lives here in Vancouver, and while I respect his accomplishments of the past, having seen him, his son & his students here I gotta say I think the man & his monkey is overrated. No disrespect but that form didn't really strike me as that high level.
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

Quote Originally Posted by firepalm View Post
    The Monkey King lives here in Vancouver, and while I respect his accomplishments of the past, having seen him, his son & his students here I gotta say I think the man & his monkey is overrated. No disrespect but that form didn't really strike me as that high level.
    That's fair but GM Chan Sau Chung didn't become famous just because of his forms. Actually the fact that he trained a lot of very good fighters is what made him famous.

when i checked him out in vancouver he wasn't training any applications, let alone fighters. I was disappointed by the way he was teaching, but he was quite impressive, and seemed rather genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    when i checked him out in vancouver he wasn't training any applications, let alone fighters. I was disappointed by the way he was teaching, but he was quite impressive, and seemed rather genuine.
    GM Chan was retired since 2001. He trained students (a little) in Richmond because he liked to teach. That school was his son's (Sifu Chan). Sifu Chan's day started at 7am and finished at 1am. And he flat out told me that he wasn't going to train people to fight who just came to class. He was disappointed in his students because he wanted to teach the old way. He wanted more from his students. In Richmond, there was a guy who he taught for free who was living out of his car. He was taught application. It was because he was so dedicated. Sigung and Sifu taught me applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    such a great clip!!!

Chan Sau Chung 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHOO...el_video_title

Something newer from Chan Sau Chung. I dont know if it was already shown here. Its short but really nice.

Kind regards,
    Xian

I've just been thinking about Chan Sau Chung

I met two of his prominent pupils, Chan Koon Tai and Chow Keung at the Lee Koon Hung 15th Memorial (discussed on our Gordon Liu hospitalized thread).

See our 2001 March/April cover story, Monkey King Chan Sau Chung's Journey to the West, as well as our 2002 July/August cover story on his son, Wu Song Breaks Manacles (Wu Song Tuo Kao): Rare Kungfu Form Inspired by Outlaws of the Marsh Re-emerges.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Chan can still move pretty well for a man his age. props to him .

Chan Sau Chung has fantastic skills! Monkey is his talent as hes quite short, same as his sifu Gan Dak Hoi was. Monkey is so difficult though that the generations following him havent really live up to his high standard.

Another Monkey style is called Ying Yi Loh Han which is very similar to that of TSPK but has its own distinction. This style is taught by master Leung Gwok Fung in Hong Kong, who excels at applying monkey style and has even so used it in professional fights!

Heres a basic student of Leung doing a section of their monkey style:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKJn3p2NMbM

and heres Leung showing some applications:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEGKOBJgRM0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbezXyonw5o

Monkey King Chan Sau Chung

Haven't chimed in for a long time but heard something up here in Vancouver and thought some here might might know. Don't want to spread rumours but I heard Monkey King Chan Sau Chung was in the hospital, heart attack and not doing well. Hope it's not the case but does anyone here know. Just curious. Respect the gentleman.
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky