Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MA demeo by GM Chicoine

MA demeo by GM Chicoine

A rare find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAveS-ODrLI

GM Chicoine demos IP a the University of Ohio State.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Awesome.

I just wish that they hadn't used seperators between the blocks.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Awesome.

I just wish that they hadn't used seperators between the blocks.
    Eh, Not sure why they did it, maybe to make it sound better for the demo.
    GM Chicoine's breaks were great as always, looks like a panther/foreknuckle strike at the end.
    Too bad we don't see him demoing SC.

You can't even find blocks of those dimensions in a regular store, i.e., Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

4" wide bricks, that are 16" long are not used in any regular masonry work..why? BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT STRONG!

Forget the spacers, that's a whole 'nother story.

It's not a big feat, certainly not a measure of someone who would need to practice Iron Palm for any length of time to be able to accomplish.

I'm not speaking out of my ass. I can break bricks as well, real bricks from a regular store and without spacers. And I could break some of them BEFORE I ever learned any Iron Palm Training/Conditioning.

Good Technique accompanied by some force and a little self confidence is all you need to break any brick.

Okay Demo I guess, but nothing special. I'm not being a hater, just pointing out a fact that many of you may not realize.

Werd!

Uh...the 4 x 16 blocks are cut from 8 x 16 blocks...
    Not sure about their strength because I have only broken the standard 2 x 8 x 16 ones.

I'm not speaking out of my ass. I can break bricks as well, real bricks from a regular store and without spacers. And I could break some of them BEFORE I ever learned any Iron Palm Training/Conditioning.

Good Technique accompanied by some force and a little self confidence is all you need to break any brick.
    You make a valid point, I know that I broke a brick before I ever started IP training (though I also did a bang up job on my fist at the time), the thing is, I can slap an slab ( not palm heel it, there is a difference) with minimal body weight, basically just a bit more than a "dead hand drop" and I break a slab now.
    Its the same result with less effort which, as physics tells us, = more power.

Its not wither you can break a slab, its how little effort you need to put into it.

As for the spacers, don't know why they did that either.

Those bricks are bought from a masonry supply yard, they are 2"x4"x16" splits from a 2x8 "patio paver". The spacers were used sometimes during demo's, the bigger the stack the better the demo. Most people at demo's dont know the difference.

Breaking a brick is a feat only depending on the brick, material, firing.... sewer brick breaks easily where if you can break a road brick your my hero.

I'm not familiar with the terminology...what is a sewer brick or a road brick??

it's like the time we just stole bricks from a construction for CTS's demo and didn't know we had gotten some kind of reinforced brick. NO matter what, Sifu Chan could't break them (and was really mad at us LOL)

personally, I hate breaking demos, doesn't mean anything at all.. prefer actually to see application demos more than forms or weapons

but that's just me
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    it's like the time we just stole bricks from a construction for CTS's demo and didn't know we had gotten some kind of reinforced brick. NO matter what, Sifu Chan could't break them (and was really mad at us LOL)

personally, I hate breaking demos, doesn't mean anything at all.. prefer actually to see application demos more than forms or weapons

but that's just me
    I did a "application" demo at a buddy's karate dojo not too long ago, we used a motorcycle helmet (I had stuck one before so was ok with it), all was great except that, like all things, not all helmets are created equal, it cracked and he got a bit dinged.
    Breaking things is safer.

He is probably lucky his helmet cracked noticeably.

Most people don't understand motorcycle helmets much. They are a "one use only" type of thing. One crash or fall and you should replace it. The rules even go so far as to tell you that if you so much as drop a helmet from a height of 3 feet or more, you should replace it.

Essentially, the idea is that you can't tell if micro-cracks occur from an impact and the helmet is made to withstand ONE impact.

So, if you think about how much force the weight of a helmet dropped from 3 feet means, it implies that using one for a striking demo and then wearing it on the road is not a good thing.

Now, this does NOT mean that the helmet can only withstand that force. It means that its structural integrity is only a sure thing until it has had one impact. (said impact can be as light as the 3 foot thing or quite a bit harder).

Given that my helmet ran me close to $300, there would be no way I would let someone use it for a demo

However, I do really like my riding gloves with the really hard knuckle guards...just in the right place for a good punch (they work great - as I found out after having a REALLY big grasshopper hit my hand between my fingers - he was flying west about 10 miles an hour and I was riding east at about 70 - barely felt it but the bug guts were gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    I'm not familiar with the terminology...what is a sewer brick or a road brick??
    Sewer bricks are vitrified clay like a clay jug water proof and durable but break easily, don't break them you will slice your hands. They use these in manholes and inlets.

Road brick are the monsters they use on brick roads, they are old and ussaly as good as they were 100 yrs ago. a little bigger than the normal brick and tougher than hell. They wear out diamond blades when you cut them.

brick pavers are clay or concrete and go from weak to all most road brick tough.

Brick used for houses are the weakest, masons can break them with the side of their trowel.

Demos are not to impress the knowledgeable they are to entertain and recruit the fresh meat. They are breaking 12 blocks but with spacers they would even say thats nothing to write home about.

I know I'm not impressed with the guys that break 30 spaced blocks in the competitions when they weigh 280 lbs and use there whole body weight. Now put 8 on end with no spacers and chop at them as GM Chicoine does, now thats impressive

Same thing with the bat breaks and things of that nature, just good clean fun.

Reason I posted it was because we don't have much of GM Chicoine and he does that wicked standing break AND the foreknuckle break too.

Wish I was in Akron...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Wish I was in Akron...

You don't hear too many people say that!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    You don't hear too many people say that!
    Yeah, I bet, LOL !
    Still, there is nothing like what GM Chicoine has to offer in my area.
    We have MMA and Muay Thai and all that, some WC and the typical karate, judo and TKD.
    There is a Shuai Chiao school about 30 min aways, but its basically Judo, if you know what I mean.