Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First JJ class back

First JJ class back

Ok so I did my first JJ class in about 3 years today. Rolled with a brown belt who said "let's just start on the ground".

Needless to say I got my ass handed to me.

My ribs hurt, my shoulder has rug burn and I think one of my elbows will extend by an extra degree or two.

It was great!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Awesome. Welcome back.

I know I'm addicted for life.

Good for the mind. Good for the body. Good for the soul. Great style.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Awesome. Welcome back.
    I know I'm addicted for life.
    Good for the mind. Good for the body. Good for the soul. Great style.
    Not so good if your in a crowded bar and/or fighting more than one person. Serious question: How do you fend off more than one attacker. Especially if your in a crowded bar with bar tables, bar stools, and a lot of people crammed packed into this bar or night club? I just don't see how it could be effective. If I'm wrong please tell me how I'm wrong.

Now on the other hand 1 on 1 in an open area I would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Not so good if your in a crowded bar and/or fighting more than one person. Serious question: How do you fend off more than one attacker. Especially if your in a crowded bar with bar tables, bar stools, and a lot of people crammed packed into this bar or night club? I just don't see how it could be effective. If I'm wrong please tell me how I'm wrong.

You choke out one of them and then use his limp body as a club.
    That is a common blue belt move that everyone is aware of, rookie.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

whatever. You have to get the choke on him first and that might take a few minutes. Besides it takes a couple of seconds to choke him out once its on. What if your fighting three people in a bar. That isn't so uncommon.

Stay out of bars.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

whatever. You have to get the choke on him first and that might take a few minutes. Besides it takes a couple of seconds to choke him out once its on. What if your fighting three people in a bar. That isn't so uncommon.
    Ah rookies...
    It takes 3 seconds to choke someone out, in the time, I can KO someone else with my shadowless kick ( invented by Rorion) and take out someone else with my Schlong in the ancient move know as the "dragon whips his tail" ( Invented by Rickson).

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Stay out of bars.
    LOL........I'm addicted to the bar scene. I mean where else can you go pick up ditzie blondes that are ready for the pickin's. Their all wearing short mini skirts or tight ass jeans and skimpy tops with their boobs bulging out.

I do BJJ because I want to compete against the highest standard of fighter today.... and the simple fact is you need to be very comfortable dealing with all types of strikes, clinches, throws, shoots and ground fighting.

I've learned a big lesson down here in Puerto Rico... there is no fighting. Even if I'm right, even if I kick a guys ass, his friends will shoot me later. I don't fight in polite (or even rude) society.

Here's a question: As a healthy martial artists how could you not train BJJ today? It's available, all the craze, fun, and it adds a whole new set of tools to your game. The more I train, the more I look to shoot, take a guy down and just man handle him. It's great.

Something else to consider.... the force of being dropped on your head, on cement. You can follow a man down to continue with strikes but lots of throws leave you free to direct the head downward and go on with your business.

And the absolute best thing about BJJ: NO Bull$hit.

You train and you roll. You fight not to get choked out or tapped daily. Guys are giving it their all every single class. It's good for your spirit, to learn about your will... it's also a good way to perfect your technique.

Ultimately, you gather the tools that you need to feel confident going into battle. If you're training hard there's little time or energy for debate. Debate is for talking.

If you truly think BJJ is a useless style and feel strongly that you need to make that point, go to your nearest Gracie school and challenge a purple belt if you are your typical martial artists of 5 years. If you are a champion kickboxer, K1 material, then go challenge a Gracie Black belt. Simple enough. Take a friend and video camera. Otherwise it's hard to distinguish one internet poster from another.

Here's a question: As a healthy martial artists how could you not train BJJ today?
    Because your teacher teaches JJJ instead.

As for Mkrii's question: first off Ray is right, picking fights just because you know how to fight is dumb because of the complications not just of retaliation (in the form of violence or lawsuit) but also because of the fact that there are rather strict assault laws in many jurisdictions. When you are standing over the beaten and bruised body of your vanquished foe saying "but he attacked first" might not cut it with the cops.

That being said, also mirroring a point Ray made, nobody ever said you should just do the ground fight training. In fact I ripped on Rorion Gracie in another thread recently for comments he made in IKF to the effect that Jiu Justu was a superior martial art to others because of the fact that most people nowadays advocate cross-training.

Let's face it: gongfu can have a great standing game. Many forms even are very good for throws. But if a fight does go to the ground and the person ON the ground doesn't just give up and stop fighting than knowing how to apply chokes, bars, crushes and pins really helps.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Something else to consider.... the force of being dropped on your head, on cement. You can follow a man down to continue with strikes but lots of throws leave you free to direct the head downward and go on with your business.
    Yes, judo is awesome.

I'd like to propose this consensus than: Having some sort of ground game (be it BJJ, JJJ or Judo) is a valuable part of a well-rounded martial arts training regimen.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I'd like to propose this consensus than: Having some sort of ground game (be it BJJ, JJJ or Judo) is a valuable part of a well-rounded martial arts training regimen.
    That's crazy talk man !!!

good point , but lets see anyone deal with that situation.. the average martial artist most of all the average person would get their head cracked open in a bar fight. I don't care what style you do. Its a sport, it promotes attributes that are common to probably all martial arts..

But just to show you how wrong you are, what happens when you fall? can you get back up fast enough? without getting hurt? what if he jumps on top of you? I'm not talking about doing a gogoplata just stop him from smashing your face into the ground.. and get the f*** back up. You show me any other martial art that isn't focused on ground fighting that can do that? I believe that those two qualities alone should prove how wrong you are. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't have good striking skills. Nobody is saying to jump guard or shoot for a double.