Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bridging

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    when you say bridging, do you mean closing the gap? If so then I agree with what someone erlier mentioned and that was using the backfist while moving forward and then following that with several other strikes such as reverse punch to the solar plex or ridge hand to the face area (otherwise known as a blitz) or whatever suites the situation. The two follow ups after the backfist were more for tournament comp. but you could follow up with more devastating and practical techniques for the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    huh? not the mantis I learn.
    Actually that's good because that's what I've found to be lacking in traditional schools (non sport styles). The idea of the person initiating the attack to win. Most traditional arts use the "If/then" approach. You know "If he punches, kicks, grabs, dives, pushes then you ...." system of teaching.

I'm not the only one who found this- heck BL tm. created a whole new martial art based around the idea of systematically teaching how to attack.

Personally I'd like to see more attacking with the intention of demolishing the opponent- like kick the guy in the shin while punching his nose, and while his vision is obscurred, steal his peach... or, after you see him checking out yo' woman at the bar- wait till his back is to you, punch his kidney, focus your weight to you shin and use your shin to drive his knee towards the floor, secure his wrist, and slam his face into something hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Actually that's good because that's what I've found to be lacking in traditional schools (non sport styles). The idea of the person initiating the attack to win. Most traditional arts use the "If/then" approach. You know "If he punches, kicks, grabs, dives, pushes then you ...." system of teaching.

I'm not the only one who found this- heck BL tm. created a whole new martial art based around the idea of systematically teaching how to attack.

Personally I'd like to see more attacking with the intention of demolishing the opponent- like kick the guy in the shin while punching his nose, and while his vision is obscurred, steal his peach... or, after you see him checking out yo' woman at the bar- wait till his back is to you, punch his kidney, focus your weight to you shin and use your shin to drive his knee towards the floor, secure his wrist, and slam his face into something hard.

In fact that's what a mantis does; decieves, then demolishes through soft targets
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Another favorite of mine for bridging is a rear leg thai roundhouse kick to the back of the other persons thigh. From there you can get in close enough to get into a clinch position or follow the kick up with elbow strikes and/or knee strikes. But if done right the Thai kick should drop them like a sack of potatoes. It's like giving someone a "frog" right on the muscle. Remember giving people "frogs" when you were younger in high school? It hurts like hell.

Good post Tony via Randy!
    So where does Jiao (Calling) come into play with your philosophy? As I understand it jiao is used to ellict a response, then once contact is made then you have zhan (contact). From their you can nian (stick) etc.
    Thanks
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

From Tony Puyot

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Good post Tony via Randy!
    So where does Jiao (Calling) come into play with your philosophy? As I understand it jiao is used to ellict a response, then once contact is made then you have zhan (contact). From their you can nian (stick) etc.
    Thanks
    Jake
    Jake and others,

Thanks for the positive comments. “Jiao” (calling) is what I term setting a trap. I think your term is more in line with CMA so I may barrow it. Basically it is the opposite of you bridging. The key hear is that you control when they bridge and what targets they attack. By crating a false opening you solicit an attack to that target and are prepared to counter. Just to be clear, a false opening is a target that looks unprotected but there is back up plan to protect it.

Just an Example: You shift forward and drop your guard a bit to expose your head. When the enemy attacks he knows he will land a punch before you can raise your guard. But you shifted forward in your stance but did not make it obvious, so you shift back and out of range and counter an over extended enemy.

If you just drop the hands you have created a real opening. If they think you might be able to get your hands back in place in time to defend then it is not such an inviting trap.

One of the specifically “mantis” principles that addresses this but like in most cases in CMA fails to explain in detail is the Rigid principle, “When greeting the enemy counter with a strait line attack”. In most translation it just reads using strait line attacks but the greeting line is critical as it indicates the enemy is moving in. My slang for this is, “Set them up and when they come in take them out with a reverse punch”.

I think this is what you were asking?

Respect to all,

Tony Puyot

Tony,
    Great Post.
    Some very good points that were clearly made.

"I found methods of adding to my art so that it was consistent with the rest of the system and did not conflict with techniques or principles of Mantis."

"Wong Long’s original idea of evolution for the sake of making it more effective."

"To not add or at least gain understanding of these methods will make you vulnerable to a growing population of reality based martial artist."

Kevin