Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herbal Exchanges

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    what is a good substitute for opium in a dit da jow formula? Also what is a good sub for bear paw, and bear bile?
    while you're at it, what illegal/endangerd substances have suitable substitutions? such as tiger bone, certain snake,deer musk, etc?
    Do you have a Materia Medica? I'd recommend looking through it for herbs that a) have same or similar uses, and b) are compatible with the rest of the herbs in your formula. Sometimes, 2 or 3 herbs may be needed as a substitute (make sure they're all compatible, and watch your dosages!)

No Materia Medica? Here's a nice one:

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Herbal.../dp/0939616424

Have fun!
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Chinese Pinyin Name

Herb_Ox et All

Any one know of the Chinese Name for the herb below:
    Comfrey (Symphytum Officinale)?
    Better still a Chinese Herb that will Repoduce most of Comfrey's
    healing atributes ???

Thanks for any and ALL help.

OTD

英文藥名

Herb Ox et All

Has any one ever seen a jow receipe using the above herb I I believe it to be Kava Kava) as a numbing agent for the skin/muscles/tendons ? Any and all help
    would me welcomed
    thanks in advance
    as always I remain a student
    OTD
    Last edited by OTD; 12-06-2012 at 09:13 PM.

OTD - the characters you posted 英文藥名 mean "English name of medicine" , so, I can't offer any advice other than I've never seen Kava in a Jow before. Kava's from Fiji, not China, so I don't think much crossover has taken place on that one

Anyone else?

cheers

herb ox

I've never seen it in a jow, either.

I've been thinking, though, that jows are a pretty universal liniment. I mean, every traditional culture must have its own jow. I say must, because I can't think of any culture that hasn't addressed the problem of trauma through herbs.

I think traditional crossovers should automatically be considered "modern" jows. Say I take an herb indigenous to North America and add it to a Chinese jow. There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to do this, but I would have to accept the fact that there is no way my jow could be considered traditional.

It'd be interesting to see a list of international dit da jow recipes, for both comparative and combinative research.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

卡瓦胡椒

Herb Ox et All
    I believe it is Ka Wa Hu Jiao. I'm not too sure on the pinyn of the last Character.
    I have had some soaking in a little alcohol (real good 'moonshine') for approx 6 mo. I happened to spill some on my hand when transferring the liquor to a smaller jar and talk about being cool and numb. Thats when I started thinking would this herb be of any use in skin/muscle/tendon/bone trauma.
    Thanks for all the info
    OTD