Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Kung Fu Myths

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    That being adept at martial arts somehow sets you above other people in any way.
    in a way, this is correct. Many people do not face their own weaknesses and imperfections, but we, as Martial artists not only face our imperfections and weaknesses, we embrace them. We constantly re-examine,re-evaluate our weaknesses, and make them our strong points, on a daily basis, striving for constant improvement.
    I wouldn't say it sets us above others, but it sets us apart from others.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    in a way, this is correct. Many people do not face their own weaknesses and imperfections, but we, as Martial artists not only face our imperfections and weaknesses, we embrace them. We constantly re-examine,re-evaluate our weaknesses, and make them our strong points, on a daily basis, striving for constant improvement.
    I wouldn't say it sets us above others, but it sets us apart from others.
    I once saw a guy with a shirt that read "Its hard to be humble when you can kick everyones ass".
    I proceeded to beat the crap out of him.
    I am superiour biotch !!

You are quite correct, not better, not above, but certainly different, certainly apart.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Don't get me started...

1. Your sifu on the cover of the magazine will improve sales.
    2. A martial arts magazine has the budget to send reporters all over the world to report on stuff like your new strip mall school opening.
    3. Associate Publishers of martial arts mags make a ton of money, enough to afford being transported about by a palanquin of nacho ninjettes.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

hmmm not sure I agree with the sentiment that being a martial artist makes you better or superior to anyone.

I would argue that it actually insulates you, blinders you and makes you more vulnerable as far as true martiality goes.

I mean, why practice antiquated empty hand combat when you could easily achieve superiority over anyone tactically by simply arming yourself with a projectile weapon hereby rendering years of study and practice moot.

On the other hand, if you make the tactical provisions that deal with the actual realities of the world we live in now, that still doesn't make you superior, it makes you prepared to defend yourself or others should a conflict arise.

as far as sport fighters go, I would argue that there is more value in medicinal studies and that would be superior to learning how to cause harm.

I guess that's why I study Kungfu, because it approaches the person as a holistic entity that must fulfill it's need to protect itself, heal itself and return itself to health should it fall to disease or misuse.

Being a sport fighter has little if any value to me. There are only a handful that stand above the rest out of hundreds of thousands who make the attempt. THat to me is only indicative of hundreds of thousands of failed sport fighters who could've been spending their time developing their whole selves instead of the ability to hit and be hit which is a rather limited existence. It's fun for a while, but doesn't carry forward like a more holistic approach from the onset.

priorities I guess. Everyone is free to choose their own path and everyone is free to make their own mistakes I guess.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    THat to me is only indicative of hundreds of thousands of failed sport fighters who could've been spending their time developing their whole selves instead of the ability to hit and be hit which is a rather limited existence. It's fun for a while, but doesn't carry forward like a more holistic approach from the onset.
    not to hijack, but this brings up another important point: As we know, sport fighting attracts a different clientele-younger, more aggressive, testosterone-fueled,and trained. Puts quite a spin on the "Average guy on the street" when it comes to who and what you will be facing now and in the future in a self-defense situation. Train accordingly.
    My vision of the future will be a world where the predators are made up of druggies, felons,trained fighters, and your usual array of sick bastids.
    Again, train accordingly.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 07-02-2008 at 09:59 AM.

not to hijack, but this brings up another important point: As we know, sport fighting attracts a different clientele-younger, more aggressive, testosterone-fueled,and trained. Puts quite a spin on the "Average guy on the street" when it comes to who and what you will be facing now and in the future in a self-defense situation. Train accordingly.
    The caliber of "average guy" has changed quite a bit, though some refuse to believe it.
    Luckly the vast majority of good fighters tend to sat away from confrontation, its the wannabes with some skill that one needs to keep an eye on.

As for David's post, the holistic approach is great, when we get there, some of us haven't go tthere yet, I know I haven't.
    Still to many ways to hurt people to learn to deal with.

Being a martial artist sets you apart from other people the same way, say....being a nurse, lawyer, astronaut, or traveling mariachi group sets you apart.

It is just a different life style.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Being a martial artist sets you apart from other people the same way, say....being a nurse, lawyer, astronaut, or traveling mariachi group sets you apart.

Now, if you were a Nurse that is trained in the MA with a Law Degree that plays a mean guitar while in space, then you would be something !!

oh yeah?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JQ3D_MA1E34&feature=related

Favorite Kung Fu myth: Basement Boy

Didn't see any space travel there...

Besides, that looks like a typical Saturday afternoon in Tijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Listen, HardWork8 was molested as a child and as an adult, he has trust issues. Multiple instances of anal rape can change a person, in HardWork8's case it has scared his brain. I say we just leave him be! Have pity on the wretch
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    no, no - S.T.U.P.I.D.! is the living embodiment of all kung-fu myths; a subtle distinction, but a salient one nonetheless...