Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you master several different martial arts in a very short time?

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    I tend to agree with that. It seems the really good Kung Fu teachers are generally underground, and difficult to find.
    Then, how do you know they are good?
    Good relative to what?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    No, it has very little to do with fighting, you need to understand the generation you are talking about.
    Fighting with a MA is the easy part.
    Reply]
    Can you explain in a bit more detail?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Bullsh1t sychophantic myth.
    Mulong (sp?) is referring to the CHINESE teachers from CHINA who knew how to fight, who sadly DID stay away from the public eye mostly. As a direct result, the BS Brigade cleaned up $$ wise, got everyone's attention and sold stupid sods like RD and Hardwork8 a bill of goods that they are still chewing on

The sad thing is, today, with all going on around you, how can people think someone is teaching fighting when there is no fighting going on in or around their so called school?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Reply]
    Can you explain in a bit more detail?
    Which part?

Reply]
    That is a project I will be working on next year.
    I don't think you can compare your method to his if yours is unproven.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

MasterKiller, what I was referring too is that teachers, who do possess real knowledge and I’m not referring to competitive fighting, but actual pugilism rarely being taught to the public. For example, I have been very fortunate to have met a certain individual, who is extremely knowledge and skillful, but doesn’t teach openly.

We have to take into account real fighting isn’t meant to for all; hence, not all can teach it; it is truly a rare breed.

PS:

I should also not, HOWEVER, that a lot of guys we think of as "fighters" from that shady backroom tradition would still probably have lost to what are derided here as 'sport fighters".....

Beating up untrained people, collecting gambling debts and stabbing people doesn't make one really a good fighter, just a tough person

Fighters get good at fighting by, gasp, FIGHTING! Fighting other fighters, who are also getting better all the time

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Then, how do you know they are good?
    Good relative to what?
    Reply]
    Because fighters from other more public systems go to them to help with deficiencies in thier training. Not for forms or Qi gong either, but for actual usage and practical strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Mulong (sp?)
    The sad thing is, today, with all going on around you, how can people think someone is teaching fighting when there is no fighting going on in or around their so called school?
    Reply]
    Ross, you may not like this (since I appear to be your current whipping boy), but that is my over all point, and we seem to be in agreement 100%

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    PS:

I should also not, HOWEVER, that a lot of guys we think of as "fighters" from that shady backroom tradition would still probably have lost to what are derided here as 'sport fighters".....

Beating up untrained people, collecting gambling debts and stabbing people doesn't make one really a good fighter, just a tough person

Fighters get good at fighting by, gasp, FIGHTING! Fighting other fighters, who are also getting better all the time
    Correct.
    CORRECT !!! I SAY !!!!

In my opinion you need fundamentals, which competitive fighting is the foundation for all forms of pugilism, because it teaches about striking, but most of impact, which is overlooked so much. From there an individual can truly learn the true art of fighting, which at times isn’t physical.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I don't think you can compare your method to his if yours is unproven.
    Reply]
    Except that my methods are occasionally adapted by teachers who are proven. There have been a few times my teaching method has been incorporated. Or are (as I am discovering) my methods are already very similar to teachers who do have proven abilities and have produced successful people. Which makes sense because the Way i teach is based off of the Romanian gymnastics coaching model, only I substitute MA skills instead of Gymnastics.

My idea now is to surround myself with talent that exceeds my own, and then absorb it. Later I will apply my teaching methods to that knowledge base.

Reply]
    Because fighters from other more public systems go to them to help with deficiencies in thier training. Not for forms or Qi gong either, but for actual usage and practical strategy.
    I am confused, since you seem to be already exposed to that, what exactly are you looking for ??

Reply]
    Which makes sense because the Way i teach is based off of the Romanian gymnastics coaching model, only I substitute MA skills instead of Gymnastics.
    Ouch.
    MA skills are NOT gymnastics and the Romania teaching methods are aimed at not only genetically gifted individuals, but very young ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    In my opinion you need fundamentals, which competitive fighting is the foundation for all forms of pugilism, because it teaches about striking, but most of impact, which is overlooked so much. From there an individual can truly learn the true art of fighting, which at times isn’t physical.
    You can know a pile of technique, but it all goes out the window if you've never been hit and never dealt with stress and adrenaline. Putting on some gloves and pads and going at eachother not only is about learning the strikes and blocks, it's about dealing with getting hit and stess....

A lot of old school TCMA didn't directly address this in training, because the people doing it were already "tough guys" who led ruff lives. But the concept is there, look a the the "Chan" principle in Tibetan martial arts