Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How do you master several different martial arts in a very short time?

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Or are (as I am discovering) my methods are already very similar to teachers who do have proven abilities and have produced successful people.
    Such as whom?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Indeed lkfmdc that what I was leading towards. For example, as you well know the best fighters, usually come from the toughest areas or should we say the ghettos of the world, i.e., warrior mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Indeed lkfmdc that what I was leading towards. For example, as you well know the best fighters, usually come from the toughest areas or should we say the ghettos of the world, i.e., warrior mentality.
    Or, another way

Think back to a popular story in TCMA

There is a tough fighter, he beats all the local instructors. Then the REAL master shows up and beats him! Wow, REAL MASTER beat the guy who beat all the local instructors

Reality, most likely

1. Local instructors had technique but were not tough guys

2. The fighter who beat them was a tough guy who had no fear and had real world experience

3. The REAL MASTER was simply a guy who had BOTH technique and toughness and real experience

And he'd still probably be a B level amateur in today's fighting world!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ouch.
    MA skills are NOT gymnastics and the Romania teaching methods are aimed at not only genetically gifted individuals, but very young ones too.
    Reply]
    Not true at all, you are thinking of the Russian Olympic model. The Romanians have a different approach all together. Thier methods are based on using the most over all efficient skill development techniques, and incorporation of conditioning that is nearly identical too the skill itself. They recognize need for recovery time, and not pushing to excess.

The Romanian coach who trained my daughter never failed to make medal winners out of every gymnast she worked with. I spent 12 years watching her coach my daughter, and discussing training subjects with her and her protege.

You are right, Gymnastics IS a different skill set altogether, however, those skills are best taught in a certain way, and that *way* works great with ANY physical skill, not just gymnastics.

It is a teaching formula. To use it for martial arts, you just unplug the gymnastics skills, and then plug in the MA skills in thier place and it works wonders.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 07-03-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Reply]
    Not true at all, you are thinking of the Russian Olympic model. The Romanians have a different approach all together. Thier methods are based on the most over all efficient skill development, and incorporation of conditioning that is nearly identical too the skill itself. They recognize need for recovery time, and not pushing to excess.

The Romanian coach who trained my daughter never failed to make medal winners out of every gymnast she worked with. I spent 12 years watching her coach my daughter, and discussing training subjects with her and her protege.

You are right, Gymnastics IS a different skill set altogether, however, those skills are best taught in a certain way, and that *way* works great with ANY physical skill, not just gymnastics.

It is a teaching formula. To use it for martial arts, you just unplug the gymnastics skills, and then plug in the MA skills in thier place and it works wonders.
    Ok.
    To each their own.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Reply]
    Not true at all, you are thinking of the Russian Olympic model. The Romanians have a different approach all together. Thier methods are based on using the most over all efficient skill development techniques, and incorporation of conditioning that is nearly identical too the skill itself. They recognize need for recovery time, and not pushing to excess.
    So you are basically saying the sport model is the most efficent.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Learning the mechanics or physiology of fighting takes a long time. You can have basic structure, which is usually a two-dimensional, i.e., block and strike, in a few lessons, but it doesn’t guarantee that it will work all the times, because each opponent will affect the outcome, as IKFMDC can chime in.

After achieving proficient in the physiology on one particular style, you can easy learn another style, if they share the same physiology, e.g., longxingquan (dragon shape boxing) or baimeiquan (white eyebrow boxing).

Pardon me, for trying to revisit the original theme of the thread.

there are only two kinds of human movement

those that are right, and those that are wrong

or, in martial arts, those that work, and those that don't

if you are training for like 5 years and can't easily pick up a technique/movement from another style, you have to ask yourself what sort of training you are receiving?

Mulong well remembers a time when people form various schools hung out togehter and worked out together and picked up stuff from eachother, EASILY

and, GASP, that is what our "masters" did back in China as well

honestly, the quality of instruction and material in TCMA has sunk so low, there is virtually no hope anymore

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Indeed, IKFMDC you are preaching the gossip, but few took the calling, because it popped a lot of myths.

It seems myth makes some feel secure like Linus with his blanket; knowledge it cold hearted.

IKFMDC and I were privileged to a select group of individuals, who practice and taught what I later coined to be as pre-20th century martial arts, which was designed for one purpose.

In my humble opinion these individuals weren’t so happy with thier lives and had their had personal issues, i.e., demons. Hence, I realize that wasn’t the ideal path in today’s society. However, I do treasure what I learned, but I personally think I will never share that particular knowledge; killing is not all that.

IKFMDC and I were privileged to a select group of individuals, who practice and taught what I later coined to be as pre-20th century martial arts, which was designed for one purpose.

In my humble opinion these individuals weren’t so happy with thier lives and had their had personal issues, i.e., demons. Hence, I realize that wasn’t the ideal path in today’s society. However, I do treasure what I learned, but I personally think I will never share that particular knowledge; killing is not all that.
    In my case, I took what really mattered, principles and movement and experiences and just "MODERNIZED" it.... anyone who really studied with my teacher would easily find his techniques, signatures and strategies in what I do today.

I also dropped off all the extra baggage that was unnecessary

IKFMDC, Chan Shifu was one of a kind; miss that old salty dog.
    Last edited by Mulong; 07-03-2008 at 09:36 AM.

IKFMDC, Chan Shifu was one of kind; miss that old salty dog.
    Is sort of hard to take many of the posters here seriously after having spent like 16 years with CTS