Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How do you master several different martial arts in a very short time?

See man, this thread is starting to be like the other thread from a while back. You guys start talking about your time with CTS...That's cool you know...

I mean, I know most people probably will never understand the interrelationships you guys are speaking of between you and CTS as well as with each other. I only get a basic grasp...not necessarily just talking the kung fu discussion, but the experiences in general...

Guess it just comes from the first hand...

I dunno, guess it just makes me a little homesick...the kung fu home per se...

I just remember how sifu would tell stories like that...

One was about when he and Sigung used to train Pai Lum. Sigung was under Daniel Pai back before his passing and sigung moved into mantis. Some crazy stuff...They'd be out at some bar or club and D. Pai would make sigung do something weird like Gung Gee in the middle of the dance floor, just to see what drunk would get up and try to fight with em....

Oh when Sifu Saleem would talk about his days with Frank Yee. Talk about how he wasn't really the "hold your hand" personality, wouldn't even really speak with sifu. But he'd be talking how it'd be nothing for him to be training and in would come Leung Shum or Buk Sam Kong.

Its probably cheesy sentiment but its hard in some ways to not to feel like I'm missing out on something. I'm really enjoying BJJ. I wish I could do more with my kung fu but in Charleston...there's just nothing.

Its just cool I guess. You guys got to taste something of an era that is probably on its way in passing. Not sure who will really pick up that torch tho ya know? Certainly not nearly enough people who could do it. Or would do it...

Talk about "genuine?" Talk about the "real deal?" Man you lucky in this day and age to find "satisfactory."
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 07-08-2008 at 09:05 PM.

SoCo Kungfu you are truly right some of us were very fortunate to have been in epicenter of something truly unique, which is truly hard to explain to others; hence, you had to be there to understand. Therefore, I do apologize if some of us get a bit nostalgic; maybe it is because we are getting older and appreciate those subtle things that now have faded away.

Indeed we saw that last of the ember; that generation is slowly fading away. I’m referring to the generation of instructors, who learn their skills or trade prior to1949; actually even before that, which I refer to as pre-20th century Chinese martial arts, i.e., before the creation of Jingwu or Goushu, when the arts were taught within a family structure for person protection, not recreation/health per se.

I'always wondered.....

If only the "older, wiser" know what it's truely like; if the "passing of the generation of instructors" is the end of an era; why is it that what is hapening now is considered sub-par? Do you supose some rather pompus sounding group once said these things to you? And before that, said it to those born befor 1949?

I guess I'm one of those who see life as one big reoccuring circle. Everything ebs and flows. If it makes you old ****s feel good to let me know in minut detail how dumb I am for forming my own opinions, or for agreeing with the opinions of someone you might not have, so be it. I hope I will not be as insufferable once I get into my 40s and 50s.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

There are some factors that have adversely effected martial arts in the last century. There are also some factors that have helped restore the martial arts somewhat.

1) Pacification of civilian populations - Nations, across the world, have taken dramatic steps to reduce or minimize civilian violence over the course of the 20th century. This has been especially relevant in the second half of the 20th century. This problem has been especially hard on CMA as China has been particularly active in discouraging pugilism in civilian populations until recently. It has also all-but killed a lot of traditional European martial arts except for those that most entirely transitioned into sport.

2) Mass Media - This has been a mixed blessing. Although mass media outlets like movies, television and the internet have been a boon to popularizing martial arts they have also become a significant outlet for disemination of misinformation that has been harmful. An example: we know who Ashida Kim is.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    There are some factors that have adversely effected martial arts in the last century. There are also some factors that have helped restore the martial arts somewhat.

1) Pacification of civilian populations - Nations, across the world, have taken dramatic steps to reduce or minimize civilian violence over the course of the 20th century. This has been especially relevant in the second half of the 20th century. This problem has been especially hard on CMA as China has been particularly active in discouraging pugilism in civilian populations until recently. It has also all-but killed a lot of traditional European martial arts except for those that most entirely transitioned into sport.

2) Mass Media - This has been a mixed blessing. Although mass media outlets like movies, television and the internet have been a boon to popularizing martial arts they have also become a significant outlet for disemination of misinformation that has been harmful. An example: we know who Ashida Kim is.
    And don't forget the reluctence of people to actually FIGHT with their MA and to live vicariously through the exploits of either their teacher or some long dead masters.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have been contemplating a hypothesis for a few months with some of my colleagues; ‘how many hours does someone trains within their respected wuguan (martial building)?’

I recall when I was active in my first guan; I put in usually 30+ hours a week for at least six years straight; in my opinion you don’t see that dedication in present students. (I do hope I’m wrong; maybe Ten Tigers or IKFMDC can be helpful.) Hence, I wonder how many hours the generation before me placed into their training, when there was even less distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    I have been contemplating a hypothesis for a few months with some of my colleagues; ‘how many hours does someone trains within their respected wuguan (martial building)?’

I recall when I was active in my first guan; I put in usually 30+ hours a week for at least six years straight; in my opinion you don’t see that dedication in present students. (I do hope I’m wrong; maybe Ten Tigers or IKFMDC can be helpful.) Hence, I wonder how many hours the generation before me placed into their training, when there was even less distractions.
    When you have a LIFE, that kind of time in is impossible.
    When I was younger, sure, not now with a full time job/business to run, with a family (two kids, a wife and a dog ), with the indescretions of youth catching up, no way dude.
    I recall when I was younger going everyday, 3 hours a day and even all day Saturdays.
    Impossible now.
    Not needed too, for a beginner, probably 10 hours a week is more then enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And don't forget the reluctence of people to actually FIGHT with their MA and to live vicariously through the exploits of either their teacher or some long dead masters.
    True enough, however that is, I doubt, something unique to the twentieth / twenty-first centuries.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    True enough, however that is, I doubt, something unique to the twentieth / twenty-first centuries.
    Perhaps, but those very people are more vocal and in great quantities now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post

Once I made it through the Basics, I trained for 4-5 hours a day, 6 days a week...for a year. Not alone, there was an instructor and a class every evening. I made great progress during that time, but I was younger and my schedule was wide open.

I feel that maximum time should be dedicated to really ingrain the training (of each type of skillset) in the beginning. Once you have it down, it requires less time to Maintain the skills at that level, so that a 'modern' schedule can accomodate your training over the long run.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....