Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quantum of Solace

I have not yet read you only live twice... but I want to.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Dalton NEVER carried the physical part, neither did Moore.
    Connery sold that part.
    Bronson carried it because of his style and the fight scene in Goldeneye was quite good.
    Craig is on a whole other level,
    he not only carries the role physically, but his persona and mannerisim makes you think he can handle anything that comes his way.
    Truly he is the Bond that "every man wants to be and women wanna be with".
    The intensity in his eyes shows that he IS Bond during filming.
    He is a great actor, no doubt.
    I bought Dalton's physicality 1000 times more than Moore's
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

SR: I think Connery managed to communicate James Bond effectively; at times. Daniel Craig has yet to establish that track record although he is currently sitting at #2 in my ratings. I consider Roger Moore to be the worst of the bunch for precisely the reasons you stated.

Fleming's Bond repeatedly nearly died.

Look at Moore in "The Man With The Golden Gun"

Scaramanga sets up his little game...

And Bond beats him at it with one shot without even breaking a sweat... that creepy midget gives him more trouble.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Connery did display vulnerability early on in the movies, but by You Only Live Twice, it was practically non-existent. One of my favorite Connery moments was in Goldfinger: The look on his face when oddjob crushes the golf ball is excellent and subtle. I wish there were more of those types of moments with Connery's Bond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

See that's why I'm still holding out as Connery as the best bond. If he manages to produce two more movies as good as the last two than I'd say he has eclipsed Connery.

But now it's a question of stamina rather than just raw talent.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I bought Dalton's physicality 1000 times more than Moore's
    LOL, that is a given !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    huh-huh...Lazenby wore a skirt.

I saw the movie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang-I can't see Di(k Van Dyke as Bond.

didn't Flemming write Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? or was that simply a song on one of the earlier Bond movies?

They promised Dalton would be more like the Flemming Bond but they lied.
    THEY LIED!!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Fleming wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
    Simon McNeil

It goes much deeper than that

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was not only written by Fleming, the film was produced by Cubby Broccoli, who also did Bond. Broccoli's family was the first to import Broccoli to America, believe it or not. That was the foundation of the fortune that banked Bond. CCBB is filled with Connery-Bond-period sensibilities, and not only with the gadget-ridden car, but also the expansive cinematography that really took advantage of the panoramic screen. What's more, the junk dealer that sells CCBB to Dyke is none other than M. Want more? The villain is none other than Goldfinger.

P.S. If you read the books, you absolutely must read them in order. It's a very linear progression until the end with the short stories. The short stories fall out of the timeline.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ahhh...found it.

The original main title theme to Thunderball was entitled "Mr. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang," which was written by John Barry and Leslie Bricusse. The title was taken from an Italian journalist who in 1962 dubbed agent 007 as Mr. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Barry had thought he couldn't write a song about a vague "Thunderball" term or the story of the film, so his song was a description of the character of James Bond.[1]

The song was originally recorded by Shirley Bassey, but was later rerecorded by Dionne Warwick. Both version were not released until the 1990s. The song was removed from the title credits after producers Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman were worried that a theme song to a James Bond movie would not work well if the song did not have the title of the film in its lyrics. John Barry teamed up with lyricist Don Black and wrote "Thunderball" which was sung by Tom Jones who, according to Bond production legend, fainted in the recording booth when singing the song's final, high note. Jones said of the final note, "I closed my eyes and I held the note for so long when I opened my eyes the room was spinning." [2] Like "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", the lyrics of "Thunderball" are a description of Bond's character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oREmbGD84Kw

they actually use it in the movie-but as an instrumental during some of the scenes.
    I had the album when I was a kid (about 11 yrs old or so), so it stuck in my head.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

a side note-I used to see John Barry every week. He was a very nice guy-David Niven type. I taught his son privately.
    Nice house. Nice area. Private community on Center Island. They have their own police force. Got a speeding ticket for doing 33 mph in a 30.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I have not read all the books nor have I read them in order. But I would like to.

Lately my reading has been wierd and sporadic. I've been researching for a book that I've been writing (should break 30000 words tonight!) and most of my reading has been related to that.

I now know much more about both the quantum theory of gravitation and tarot cards than I ever thought I would want to.

Note for non authors: The average novel is approx. 100,000 words. For sake of comparison the average magazine article is roughly 1500-2500 words. It's easy to write 1500 words in a sitting. What is hard is to do that sitting every day.... that is VERY hard. When you are trying to maintain a cohesive narrative it's even harder. I'd love to write professionally but I fear that if I ever do realize this dream I will have to work much harder than I do right now with my desk job. For an example of what I mean consider Terry Pratchett. He is one of the most successful living fiction authors. He has written approximately 50 books of novel or novella length (or approx. three to five million words) in the last 30 years.
    Last edited by SimonM; 11-25-2008 at 03:56 PM.
    Simon McNeil