Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Relevant is Chi Sao?

How Relevant is Chi Sao?

To all of the Wing Chun Family:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How relevant is Chi Sao these days in your training?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm sure it depends upon your goals. Some schools do nothing but Chi Sao drills. Other schools treat it as a part of a well-rounded education. Yet others, eschew it all together --(but can you call that "Wing Chun"?).

Is Chi Sao a great drill for training at a specific range or is it an antiquated exercise of limited application in modern times?

I'm sure many of us thought that "Mastering" Chi Sao would make us Unbeatable Fighters.

In the ring and competition, competitors often wear gloves and pads that limit or restrict what the hands can do, so tournament experiences cannot be the only arbiter of Chi Sao's value. While learning to read energy and your opponent, control balance, and improve eye-hand coordination are always important fighting attributes, how important is Chi Sao to what you do?

Let the flames begin...

It's as relevant as you make it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

it is the soul of the system..easy to do wrong. and like you mention become chi-sao warriors, who meet elbows in the air no straight lines , they ingrained the idea of standing in a basic stance with 2 arms extended turning to fight the arms ...all the time they are in center OUUucuhhh ! or worse the straight line center of mass attacker with a devastating chain punch

lin sil di da

Part of a well rounded education.

Keep in mind that there are thousands-upon-thousands of great fighters who wouldn't know the difference between a chi sao and a slice of Pennsylvania cheese.

That should bring any chi sao king back down to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Yong Chun View Post
    I'm sure it depends upon your goals. Some schools do nothing but Chi Sao drills. Other schools treat it as a part of a well-rounded education. Yet others, eschew it all together --(but can you call that "Wing Chun"?).

Is Chi Sao a great drill for training at a specific range or is it an antiquated exercise of limited application in modern times?

I'm sure many of us thought that "Mastering" Chi Sao would make us Unbeatable Fighters.

In the ring and competition, competitors often wear gloves and pads that limit or restrict what the hands can do, so tournament experiences cannot be the only arbiter of Chi Sao's value. While learning to read energy and your opponent, control balance, and improve eye-hand coordination are always important fighting attributes, how important is Chi Sao to what you do?

Let the flames begin...
    Do chi sao with someone who is very good at it then ask the same question again..
    Last edited by stonecrusher69; 07-03-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

cjurakpt Guest
    chi sao, like push hands, is predicated on a certain degree of agreement between the participants, the most obvious being that they will begin in a certain range (and stay there) with a certain type of contact (and maintain it); like any "short range" exercise, it is valuable because it teaches you to keep your cool when someone is up in your face, and it increases reliance on proprioceptive awareness / decreases reliance on visual feedback, meaning that you don't "waste" time getting two different organ systems to agree on something (e.g. - how to manage an attack), cutting down neural processing and response time

having trained this, one then, naturally, has to back off and start from different ranges / at different levels of "contact" (e.g. - distant eye contact to wedged together in a crowded subway) and then try to apply that skill set in "live" situations;

BTW, this sort of skill can certainly be achieved in ways other than chi sao...

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Yong Chun View Post

Let the flames begin...
    Chi sao is an extremely important part of Wing Chun as well as a few other kung fu styles. For me one of the most important aspects of this form of practice is that if practiced correctly it can elevate one's sensitivity and "listening" abilities beyond a superficial level and continue to do so to a very high level.

Correct Chi sao training contributes in the development of "liveness" in techniques. This is ability is one of the great weapons of kung fu.

This in tern implies "softness" that will enable one to stay sensitive and fast without losing "the hardness within".

In Siu Lam Wing Chun chi sao is practiced in the following ways. Stationary and then a mobile form of chi sao where exponents step when necessary so as to absorb an attack or to close the distance.

Practioners are not allowed to step back except in emergencies where one foot steps back and hands reclaim or control the central line and then the excersise continues.

So far I have learnt three variations of Chi Sao. First it is the one we all know and love, which uses strikes (open/closed hand strikes) with contact intensity increasing with the level of the students.

The Second type is the Kum na (la) Chi sao. Here the practitioners use Chin-na type techniques such as joint locks/manipulations and takedowns exclusively.

The third type is a very close range chi sao where the elbows are used primarily to attack the "gaps" inside the defense of the opponent.

No need to say that once all these types are mastered, then the exercise is combined where all 3 aspects are used at the same time.

As time goes by this Chi sao evolves into contact San sao. And by this time and throught the correct training the students are able to stand bareknuckle strikes to the body as well as use sensitivity and correct rooting to fight in the Wing Chun manner.

So to conclude, I can't see Wing Chun without chi sao being a fundemental part of training.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 07-03-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post

The Second type is the Kum na (la) Chi sao. Here the practitioners use Chin-na type techniques such as joint locks/manipulations and takedowns exclusively.

Excellent. Do you have any vid of this being employed against someone (not a 'chunner) well-trained and experienced in takedowns?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post

Keep in mind that there are thousands-upon-thousands of great fighters who wouldn't know the difference between a chi sao and a slice of Pennsylvania cheese.

Mmmmm, cheese...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    chi sao, like push hands, is predicated on a certain degree of agreement between the participants, the most obvious being that they will begin in a certain range (and stay there) with a certain type of contact (and maintain it); like any "short range" exercise, it is valuable because it teaches you to keep your cool when someone is up in your face, and it increases reliance on proprioceptive awareness / decreases reliance on visual feedback, meaning that you don't "waste" time getting two different organ systems to agree on something (e.g. - how to manage an attack), cutting down neural processing and response time

having trained this, one then, naturally, has to back off and start from different ranges / at different levels of "contact" (e.g. - distant eye contact to wedged together in a crowded subway) and then try to apply that skill set in "live" situations;

BTW, this sort of skill can certainly be achieved in ways other than chi sao...
    Excellent post. Right on point IMO!

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post

I would add push-hands to that list as well...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It's as relevant as you make it.
    That about sums it up for me too
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Useless questions

How relevant is your comprehension of wing chun in deciding how you train?

How relevant is unarmed combat when iron bars\hand guns are so readily available?

What’s the term when we answer a question with a question?

So many questions……so few answers

I have the opening of a book on Chi Sau that I was writing for Yip Chun that was dedicated to Chi Sau some 20+ years ago I shall try to find it and publish it here I think the heading is "Chi Sau, the heart of Wing Chun" but I may be wrong, not on line much but will try to accomplish this within the next few days depending if I can find it on one of my saved discs lol
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop

Chi sao is very relevant if one plans on using wing chun when fighting in very close quarters...

as long as the TRANSLATIONS are being made from chi sao DRILLING to actual combat/sparring/fighting applications...

on a regular basis.

Otherwise it's waaaay too easy to forget that NOBODY ever fights starting from a chi sao position and only working within the parameters of chi sao rules and conditions.

IT'S JUST A DRILL.....