Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All these movements are the same

All these movements are the same

There is a major movement/posture that seems to be in common, with slight variation (due to chronological and stylistic evolution), between all the following styles (in Chronological order):

Tong Bei Quan: Pi Shan Zhang - Split Mountain Palm
    Shaolin Chan Yuan: Li Pi Hua Shan - Forcibily Split Hua Mountain
    Shaolin Luohan 13 Gong: Lao Seng Pi Chai - Old Monk Splits Wood
    Shaolin Yuan Hou Quan (Ape Monkey Fist): Shrink body Double Acknowledge Fingers - Su Shen Shang Ren Zhi
    Shaolin Rou Quan 36: Turn Body Right, Plundering / Intercepting Hand - Zhuan Shen You Lu / Lan Shou
    Yue Jia Quan and XY: Splitting Fist - Pi Quan
    Yue Shi Ba Fan Shou - Strike Side Face Palm - Pu Mian Zhang
    Hua Quan 18 Luohan: Ying Qia Suo - Eagle Seizes Gullet
    Shaolin Xiao Hong Quan: Turn Face Right, Pulling Hand - Zhuan Lian You, Ban Shou
    Shaolin Tai Zu Chang Quan: Turn Right, Face To Face Pulling Hand - Ying-Mian Ban
    Chen TJQ Yi Lu: Lazy (Block) Tying Coat - Lan Zha Yi
    Yang TJQ: Grasp Sparrow's Tail.

All these sets do this movement near their beginning as they turn to the right.

MOST of these sets follow it up that above movement with a variation of "Single Whip" and most of them call that next move "Single Whip" even if it looks different.
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 07-04-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Is "face to face, pull hand single whip?"
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Is "face to face, pull hand single whip?"
    No, it is the face slap thing that happens as the second movement in the 32.

Hey Royal, I have been learning the Yue Shi Ba Fan shou sets from a friend.

I have been able to find most of the TZ 32 in it, very easily, and some Lao Hong quan. The rest of 5 elements quan.

Very weird!

What is Yue Shi Ba Fan shou?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    What is Yue Shi Ba Fan shou?
    Watch these videos of this form (these are videos of the first section of 8 rows, there are 3 sections of 8 rows in total):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63rIaKKXX8
    (this guy does with too fast with no whole body movement, but you can get the idea, if you slow it down and do the movements clearer it is obvious they are all also seen in TZ Chang Quan 32 and especially in the Lao Hong Quan 108.)

This guy does it better but too external

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtU2IauK9KQ

This guy does it better but too external

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtU2IauK9KQ

Reply]
    External? Look again, watch his back and spine as he moves. This guy is about as internal as it gets. He has good open and close, one thing moves, everything moves, one thing stops everything stops. His power is derived form the core on every move, even when he just walks or stands there. Short of adding some spiraling and silk reeling type stuff, you just don't see internal this good too often. I think you are just not seeing it because of the white uniform, but look really close and it is clearly internal motion all the way.

As for the first set I see a number of things commonly found in the Southern Tai jow "Four Corners" form. I found that to be interesting..

For the Women:

+ = & a

[EDIT] - Ok, never mind. I see what you mean.

I looked at the rest of his clips and he is remarkably disconnected when he does his taiji like stuff. He's wiggling around his body but with no apparent connection to the move he is doing in many places. He looks much better in the first clip though. Maybe is his being too explosive to add all the none necessary stuff in.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Yue Jia Quan is basically a southern Hakka style, it has an important form called San Men Quan. 3 gates fist.

I've been looking at all my resources that have this set, and I am having a hunching from what I see, that THIS style is what Southern Tai Zu is based on!
    Yue Jia Quan's 3 Gates Fist is not much different from 3 Battles Fist.

I bet the Hakka grand ancestor was referring all along to their actual real southern song Grand Ancestor who is a hakka too: Yue Fei ! He's the grand ancestor in honor, not Zhao Kuan Yin, and it really fits prefectly with the correct time period when the hakka last wave came down into the south.

eric hargrove;

Hi, can you tell me where to find any other vcds of Yue Shi Ba Fan Shou, besides the Shanxi 24 row one that is easy to find?

thanks!

Royal Gian;

First 8 Rows of Yue Shi Ba Fan Shou = first half of Tai Zu Chang Quan!

First 1 in both are different except they have the same salute with embracing movements.

Next 2-4 rows in Yue Shi maps to 2 - 7 postures in TZ

next 5-8 rows in Yue Shi Ba Fan Shou maps to 13-19 in TZ.

(it skips the same moves 8-12 that Tai Ji skips from TZ Chang Quan!)

Which means, using my chart I can map out the Yue Shi Ba Fan Shou to Chen Tai Ji Yi Lu and to Shaolin Rou Quan and to Tong Bei.

Wonder what is going on here?

I'll check out the second series of 8 and see if they match the rest of the TZ Chang Quan set!

Maybe this will give us a glimpse of the 2nd and 3rd roads of the 32?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    Yue Jia Quan is basically a southern Hakka style, it has an important form called San Men Quan. 3 gates fist.

I've been looking at all my resources that have this set, and I am having a hunching from what I see, that THIS style is what Southern Tai Zu is based on!
    Yue Jia Quan's 3 Gates Fist is not much different from 3 Battles Fist.

I bet the Hakka grand ancestor was referring all along to their actual real southern song Grand Ancestor who is a hakka too: Yue Fei ! He's the grand ancestor in honor, not Zhao Kuan Yin, and it really fits prefectly with the correct time period when the hakka last wave came down into the south.
    Reply]
    Do you mean *The* Yue Fei? The one associated with the Southern Songs military and Eagle Claw? That would explain the oral legends of Southern Tai Jow originally being basic military training too then!

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Maybe this will give us a glimpse of the 2nd and 3rd roads of the 32?
    No , not what I am seeing, the rest of the rows follows the same path as ta ji quan yi lu set, which mostly follows tai zu chang 32, but the movements that are not really seen in the TZ set are seen both here in the Ba fan shou sets and the tai ji quan yi lu set.

That I am finding very strange, wonder what it means?
    Both are drawing from the same source?

Or the TZ 32 set originally had those moves that are seen in these 2 other sets?

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    Do you mean *The* Yue Fei? The one associated with the Southern Songs military and Eagle Claw? That would explain the oral legends of Southern Tai Jow originally being basic military training too then!
    Yes that Yue Fei, it wasn't him necessarily, it was his troops, which is why that style is called Yue Jia, Yue Family Boxing.

They have five elements, 6 harmonies, 10 (12) animals, etc., 6 harmony spear, etc.

Yue Fei being the grand ancestor would make a LOT more sense as this is the second wave of hakka, the ones that came south after the Northern song was defeated.

(the Zhao clan's movement to other parts of china is known, its not the same as this wave of Hakka emigration.)
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 07-06-2008 at 06:24 PM.