Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Grappling/Takedown Chi sao

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Haven't you heard yet? I study Wing Chun.

Yes, I know you trained for all of three years in Brasil. Great. I meant your super-secret kungfu you supposedly study there in London.

True story...i swear...

Since I'm a wing chun guy (amoungst other things) - and since this is a wing chun grappling/chi sao thread...then perhaps the event I'm about to describe isn't such a stretch after all for this thread and this forum...

This afternoon, Friday, July 18th, about 1:00 pm I was in the Greenpoint area of Brookyn, NY.

On Manhattan Avenue, for those of you who know the neighborhood. Just off the corner of Huron Street...

as I'm crossing Manhattan Avenue to go from the south side to the north side of the Huron Street intersection - I notice that about 100 feet in front of me, right there on the sidewalk on Manhattan Avenue - there's a real fight going on between two guys.

And it's on the ground....and there's this guy lying on his back with a guard position on the guy on top - and the bottom guy is going for a guillotine choke.

But it turns out that both guys are skilled in BJJ - I swear, I'm not making this up.

The guy caught in guard is struggling to make sure that his head and neck don't get locked by the bottom guy - and one thing he does is stack the bottom guy - just as I'm arriving within about three feet of them (now I've completely stopped to watch this)...

and the guard fighter immediately tries to transition to the triangle choke with his legs (and you can hear the guy beginning to get caught by the triangle moan at this point)...but the guy with guard/triangle doesn't have a good grip on either of the other guy's arms - so the guy caught in the triangle gets his head free and starts to pass guard...

while the bottom guy is now trying to scramble so that the top guy doesn't get cross chest position (side control)...but doesn't make it - and the guy gets side control and starts punching...so the other guy now tries to scramble some more and makes the mistake of turning his back a bit - and the side control guy now goes for the rear naked choke...

pulls the guy up and backwards down toward the ground - sinks in the hooks...and is starting to get the RNC around the guy's throat.

Btw...by now there's another guy on the scene frantically speaking Spanish to the two of them (they were Hispanic) - and clearly trying at the top of his lungs to get them to stop fighting...

now I pull out my cell phone, open it, (the RNC guy is on his back but directly facing me and so can see and hear everything - and I say: "If you choke him I'm going to call the police"...(the guy in jeopardy is by now calling out to me and the other guy for help - as he believes - and probably quite rightly - that he's about to be seriously choked out in a real streetfight, and is looking scared 5hitless...

The RNC guy (a young kid - couldn't have been more than in his early 20's - about maybe 5'7" - 135 lbs.)...screams back at me: "He attacked me. This guy attacked me"!!!

....as if to say: "stay out of it - I've got to take care of this guy"...

But now I tell him: "Let him go, there are too many of us here now" (there's now me, and the frantic guy, and perhaps one-or-two more onlookers standing there)..."He's not going to attack you. There are too many of us here."

And he let's go of the guy - who I'm now watching like a hawk, but he's just glad to be out of the choke hold and just gets up and backs off...and the RNC guy gets up...and they start talking all kinds of 5hit to each other in Spanish...but there's now about 4 people between them...

and that was the end of it.

I sheathed my cellphone and kept on walking down the street.

True story.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 07-18-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Since I'm a wing chun guy (amoungst other things) - and since this is a wing chun grappling/chi sao thread...then perhaps the event I'm about to describe isn't such a stretch after all for this thread and this forum...

This afternoon, Friday, July 18th, about 1:00 pm I was in the Greenpoint area of Brookyn, NY.

On Manhattan Avenue, for those of you who know the neighborhood. Just off the corner of Huron Street...

as I'm crossing Manhattan Avenue to go from the south side to the north side of the Huron Street intersection - I notice that about 100 feet in front of me, right there on the sidewalk on Manhattan Avenue - there's a real fight going on between two guys.

And it's on the ground....and there's this guy lying on his back with a guard position on the guy on top - and the bottom guy is going for a guillotine choke.

But it turns out that both guys are skilled in BJJ - I swear, I'm not making this up.

The guy caught in guard is struggling to make sure that his head and neck don't get locked by the bottom guy - and one thing he does is stack the bottom guy - just as I'm arriving within about three feet of them (now I've completely stopped to watch this)...

and the guard fighter immediately tries to transition to the triangle choke with his legs (and you can hear the guy beginning to get caught by the triangle moan at this point)...but the guy with guard/triangle doesn't have a good grip on either of the other guy's arms - so the guy caught in the triangle gets his head free and starts to pass guard...

while the bottom guy is now trying to scramble so that the top guy doesn't get cross chest position (side control)...but doesn't make it - and the guy gets side control and starts punching...so the other guy now tries to scramble some more and makes the mistake of turning his back a bit - and the side control guy now goes for the rear naked choke...

pulls the guy up and backwards down toward the ground - sinks in the hooks...and is starting to get the RNC around the guy's throat.

Btw...by now there's another guy on the scene frantically speaking Spanish to the two of them (they were Hispanic) - and clearly trying at the top of his lungs to get them to stop fighting...

now I pull out my cell phone, open it, (the RNC guy is on his back but directly facing me and so can see and hear everything - and I say: "If you choke him I'm going to call the police"...(the guy in jeopardy is by now calling out to me and the other guy for help - as he believes - and probably quite rightly - that he's about to be seriously choked out in a real streetfight, and is looking scared 5hitless...

The RNC guy (a young kid - couldn't have been more than in his early 20's - about maybe 5'7" - 135 lbs.)...screams back at me: "He attacked me. This guy attacked me"!!!

....as if to say: "stay out of it - I've got to take care of this guy"...

But now I tell him: "Let him go, there are too many of us here now" (there's now me, and the frantic guy, and perhaps one-or-two more onlookers standing there)..."He's not going to attack you. There are too many of us here."

And he let's go of the guy - who I'm now watching like a hawk, but he's just glad to be out of the choke hold and just gets up and backs off...and the RNC guy gets up...and they start talking all kinds of 5hit to each other in Spanish...but there's now about 4 people between them...

and that was the end of it.

I sheathed my cellphone and kept on walking down the street.

True story.
    Very interesting story. At least nobody got seriously hurt and the guilty party(the alleged attacker) learnt a valuable lesson which was never to take on a fellow BJJ-er without some cross training in Wing Chun.

Victor

Based on the xxxx talk after the fight ,did the guys seems to know each other? If so there might be a second round later?

joy chaudhuri

I couldn't tell whether or not thay actually knew each other beforehand. I don't speak Spanish.

Victor

You did the right thing. Someone could have been badly hurt.

Joy Chaudhuri

Indeed, hold on the a RNC, or any choke, for longer than you have to and its hello brain damage.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Holding the fort

292 post, almost 6000 views….and you are still going on strong! Your tenacity remains me of a rottweiler sinking its jaws into someone’s ankle. You are so resilient, even big T is giving you a wide berth. LOL

Have you considered a post as a solicitor?

Ho, ho, ho, I take my hat off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by chisauking View Post
    292 post, almost 6000 views….and you are still going on strong! Your tenacity remains me of a rottweiler sinking its jaws into someone’s ankle. You are so resilient, even big T is giving you a wide berth. LOL

Have you considered a post as a solicitor?

Ho, ho, ho, I take my hat off to you.
    Hello,

Are you referring to me?

If so, thank you.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 07-21-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Two big problems with that takedown/submission.

1- The opponent will more than likely move around and take your back when you are standing.

2- If you to manage to get the takedown, an opponent with a halfway decent guard will arm bar you from there.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    immobilizing... you mean like trapping and cover, making sure you are "safe".
    Position, control, and immobilization in a ground grappling context have nothing to do with trapping and cover.