Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expendables=jet li+sylvester stallone+jason statham

The Expendables=jet li+sylvester stallone+jason statham

so it looks like jet and jason will star in sly's next film, called the expendables the basic story is about a group of mercernaries who are hired to overthrow and south american dictator, stallone has penned the script and is set to direct the film. so this film is chocked full of action stars. what do you guys think, hit or miss? i think it'll be interesting one thing is for sure there gonna be alot of ADR on this film. cause its hard to understand all three at times.

the bad acting trifecta

i was being nice but getthebigpicture.net went there.

This movie starts to go downhill once you get past the title. The Expendables is a magnificent thing to call a movie about soldiers, and I think we can all agree on that. It gets shaky, however when you tack these names to the bulletin board: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, and Jet Li.

Seriously? We need those three guys in a movie together? Don't look for a lot of monologues, I guess.

Stallone will direct, according to Worst Previews, which says that Nu Image/Millennium will produce the film, just as they did this January's Rambo. On top of that, Sly wrote the script, so give him credit for a doozy of a title, but the mercenaries-overthrowing-a-dictator storyline is boring, expected, and not particularly timely.

I've read on some websites that people are actually excited about this, but I can't see how that's actually possible. Stallone's only worthwhile movies in fifteen long years are Rocky Balboa and Copland, Jet Li is never that good in movies where he has to speak English, and frankly, neither is Jason Statham.

It makes me wonder if the guys at Nu Image/Millennium asked themselves, "How can we get more out of those three chronically underperforming action stars? I got it: Pool our resources!"

at least there is potential for lots and lots of violence...lots of violence can sometimes take the place of actual acting.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    at least there is potential for lots and lots of violence...lots of violence can sometimes take the place of actual acting.
    If there is half the carnage there was in Rambo I am so down!
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I'm at the point where I'll only watch Jet Li in movies that are either entirely Chinese... or with more involvement by Chinese than not such as the Forbidden Kingdom.

And I haven't liked Jason Statham since The Transporter 1.

I'd have to say I'm not too excited about this one either for some reason. The last movie Jet Li and Jason Statham were in together -- War -- was probably the worst movie either has done in my opinion. I haven't really liked Statham since the 1st Transporter movie either, and I have to be honest in that I was more looking forward to seeing Shu Qi in that than him. I really liked Statham in the 2 Guy Ritchie movies -- Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels and Snatch -- I like his as a wise-cracking grifter, but I guess he hasn't won me over yet as an action hero though. We'll see what Sly can bring to the table, but I'm not holding my breath on this one ...
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

i agree with li kao even in revolver(another richie film all be it not up the standards of snatch and lock stock) i liked statham better then his other films. and while transporter was awesome, now that i look at it again its kinda cheesy and sub par, part two was a total rip of man on fire, which was just hands down an amazing movie by denzel with tony scott as the director.

I like Statham's British movies better than his action hero stuff as well. I was really turned off by Transporter II. I felt embarrassed to be watching it in the theater.

As for Jet Li, I will mostly watch only his Chinese films. Although I will say, IMO the best films in the West that he's made have been in Europe (Kiss of the Dragon, Unleashed). The European filmmakers seem to know how to better use him than straight Hollywood filmmakers.

i usually have a wait and see perspective on movies but this just sounds aweful even the story is weak, and sooooo 80's.

I guess Sly thinks it's the Reagan years again so he can get away with this kind of crap. Newsflash Sly, it's not and you can't.

Jet Li: Best f-ing action actor on earth.
    Jason Statham: Certainly makes the top 10.
    Sylvester Stallone: No sir, I don't like him.
    Movie based on the concepts of American Exceptionalism, Manifest Destiny, Preemptive Military Action, or any other flavour of millitaristic aggression: WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?!?!?!??!

So I'll watch it on video probably... that way I can continue claiming to have seen every Jet Li movie.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I hope they cast Jet as a bad guy, the only english speaking role I liked him in was LW4,as long as you forget the ending, which was horrid.
    Jason Statham sucks the sweat of a dead man's balls.
    As for Sly, I think he likes the term expendable too much, he used it in Rambo 2 and I assume that how he views wives and people's inteligence.
    For what its worth, Rambo was, well...Bloody, can't recall anythign else about the whole movie.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I don't get why everyone is hating on Statham... he plays stupid thug in a bad suit so perfectly!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I don't get why everyone is hating on Statham... he plays stupid thug in a bad suit so perfectly!
    You're right, he doesn't lick the sweat of a dead man's balls.
    He slurps it with a straw.
    F-en wannabe MA...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Jet Li: Best f-ing action actor on earth.
    Jason Statham: Certainly makes the top 10.
    Sylvester Stallone: No sir, I don't like him.
    Movie based on the concepts of American Exceptionalism, Manifest Destiny, Preemptive Military Action, or any other flavour of millitaristic aggression: WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?!?!?!??!

So I'll watch it on video probably... that way I can continue claiming to have seen every Jet Li movie.
    yeah i would probably have to disagree with you on the jet li thing. but everything else seems on point. with people like sammo hung, jackie chan, donnie yen, tony jaa(yes although his **** is redetive its still amazing) and slew of other MA action people still alive, and who blow jet out of the water there is no way he can be called the best but he's up there.