Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: questions about tan tui

questions about tan tui

Dear all,
    Does anyone know what are the reasons behind:

a) When you are in a bow stance, with one hand in front of you and the other hand behind you. You then bend forward and bring both of you arms toward your chest. You then swinging both of your arms out, while you are in a bow stance. I think it is road 3.
    At first I thought it is a double groin strikes, but the position you are in make it impossible to be double groin strikes.
    What is the purpose of this move?

b) Are most of the kicks aim for the knee and waist?

c) If your jump kick missed, what is the defence you would use when your opponet does a stop hit (kick) to your chest, just as you are about to land?
    (road 8 or 7)

4) I think in some of the tan tui movements, you deliberately rotate your forearm. What is the purpose of rotating your forearm?

5) In all the roads you start off:
    you stand straight and feet together.
    your left hand is a straight fist
    Your right hand (palm) underneath your left armpit

What is the purpose of this movement?

Sorry I cannot find the link to the web site ,where I got the pictures of the tan tui sequences. I could not tell from the pictures, what are the purpose of those moves. Therefore, I need your help.

Thank you very much
    Hitman

a. there are variations between schools- this doesn't sound like the third road to me- it sounds more like #9 which I was shown as you're countering your opponent's chin na counter.

b. Yes - but the springing leg refers to the knee kick that's repeated a billion times throughout the form.

c. You're screwed.

4) wrist control (seriously)

5) Watch Bruce Lee's first fight on the island with Bob Wall in Enter the Dragon. I've also been shown that move as a counter to a opposite arm single wrist grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Dear all,
    Does anyone know what are the reasons behind:

a) When you are in a bow stance, with one hand in front of you and the other hand behind you. You then bend forward and bring both of you arms toward your chest. You then swinging both of your arms out, while you are in a bow stance. I think it is road 3.
    At first I thought it is a double groin strikes, but the position you are in make it impossible to be double groin strikes.
    What is the purpose of this move?

b) Are most of the kicks aim for the knee and waist?

c) If your jump kick missed, what is the defence you would use when your opponet does a stop hit (kick) to your chest, just as you are about to land?
    (road 8 or 7)

4) I think in some of the tan tui movements, you deliberately rotate your forearm. What is the purpose of rotating your forearm?

5) In all the roads you start off:
    you stand straight and feet together.
    your left hand is a straight fist
    Your right hand (palm) underneath your left armpit

What is the purpose of this movement?

Sorry I cannot find the link to the web site ,where I got the pictures of the tan tui sequences. I could not tell from the pictures, what are the purpose of those moves. Therefore, I need your help.

Thank you very much
    Hitman
    These are the most important things about tan tui and CMA in general.

a) this is a throw really it is from tong bei, you swing to avoid incoming strike, then as their strike is still in motion, you use their momentum against them and upset their balance and tip them over. It's a basic move found in all tong bei drills.

b) yes, kicks are more than kicks, they are extensions of your body that trip the other person, you like is wedge.

c) done this many times, you yield back and swing your arm under their kick and scoop it up as you stand up, throwing the person back as they flip upside down.

4) rotating the forearm is what keeps you from getting it broken as someone strikes. If you leave it out without rotating, you are inviting a straight down axe on to your bone and it will break. Also, rotating the arm forces the incoming strike to rotate out of range without hurting you. This is a foundamental movement in CMA and all styles do this in some way or another. It is a variation of drilling.

5) That is only done in modern versions of tan tui, like the 12 tan tui. It's just to keep you from wandering your arm from where it should be.

Purpose? If someone grabs your arm, you can wipe their hand off.

More questions

Dear all,
    Thank you.

Tan tui resemble western fencing, choy lee fut kung fu and other kung fu styles.

1) You are in a bow stance, with one hand in front of you and the other hand behind you.

a)This movement resemble the lunge used in western fencing. Therefore, it should also containing the same weakness as in western fencing. The weakness is the counter attack/ stop hit to your knee and chest. What is the best defence to avoid thoses stop hit?

b) What is the purpose of putting one hand behind your back, while your other hand in the front does the attack? In western fencing the back hand is for balance.
    Does this also apply to movement 1?
    or is there a secret movement of leaving your hand behind your back?

Thank you

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    One hand in front with the other in back as you put it, teaches you the body mechanics, for the jik kuen. Once you understand the mechanics,the open bow stance (as opposed to the closed bow, in this case, the kwa is open) the hip and shoulder rotation and the extension of the body and arms, and the coiling/whipping of the spine,then you can shorten it up and bring your rear hand into the guard position. It is a tool. There is a Hebei Hsing-Yi Tan-Tuei that illustrates this.
    "From the large, comes the small"

Rotating of the arm comes after the strike. Yes, it can be a locking maneuver, it can be counter locking maneuver, or it can be a running hand, which means, if the strike is blocked, it can circle around and continue to strike.

The hand under the arm as it strikes can be a simultaneous trap/deflect and strike. IMO using one hand to peel away, and then striking is counterproductive-too many movements, when simply hitting would suffice. Too many people get into the block, block, block, then hit mentality when they play application. IMO, TCMA was never meant to be practiced with such an inefficient mentality.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 07-08-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Chinese Moslem MA are often made for fighting multiple attackers at once.
    The back hand movements has degenerated over time to become useless.

It was originally made to move so that you struck someone in back of you at the same time as in front.

In old days, Chinese Moslems were feared for the MA and so they were often attacked by multiple people. There was strong prejudice against them in some areas.

Also, the movements in tan tui can be used as take down movements.

trying to think of something whitty and quirky to say but i cant think of it right now.
    shoot. oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

actually...

from a Mantis perspective- the back hand is an overexaggeration of a grab (diu sau). Say you're in the starting position where you have your right hand extended to your right and your left is in the armpit- your feet are together-

an attacker on your left throws a right foot forward right straight punch- you grab his right with your right hand and simultaneously backfist him with your left (route 1 movement 1).

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    Chinese Moslem MA are often made for fighting multiple attackers at once.
    The back hand movements has degenerated over time to become useless.

It was originally made to move so that you struck someone in back of you at the same time as in front.

In old days, Chinese Moslems were feared for the MA and so they were often attacked by multiple people. There was strong prejudice against them in some areas.

Also, the movements in tan tui can be used as take down movements.
    I don't know Sal, that sounds pretty far fetched, anyone that has ever fought more than one person knows that the worse you can do is try to strike two people that the same time.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't know Sal, that sounds pretty far fetched, anyone that has ever fought more than one person knows that the worse you can do is try to strike two people that the same time.
    Well, that's what's been told to me by various people over the years.

The back person is hit on the way, as you are striking the first person with your right punch, your left fist is swinging out to the left at the same time and hits anyone that happens to be sneaking up to you.

But that's only looking at striking.

If you look at the moves as a take down, your left hand has grabbed the person by the back of the shirt near the neck and is pulling them down over your knee while your right hand is punching/pushing them forward, further upsetting their balance.

This same application is found in Ba Bu Lian Huan set of Shaolin.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    many of the strikes in Tan Tuei are preceded by large sweeping movents. In Southern boxing as well as Northern, these are clearng movements that control the opponent's arm and body and whip them into the strike.
    If you are leaning forward into the bow, and striking foward as well as to the rear, there is no connection or power in the rearward strike. If you are in horse, possibly, but still not likely. Usually techniques are in forms that have been very successful in confrontations. This application would be a highly specialized situation. How often are your two attackers dozing, while standing at your sides?
    Better yet, try it and tell me how it works for you. The best litmus test is pressure testing.
    Also, it is difficult without seeing the movement to try to hypothesize the application. Are there any clips showing this sequence?

Trying to interpret forms is tricky at best and is based mostly on assumption or even presumption.
    Bunkai and himitsu are things that, at least how they relate to J/OMA, tend to be used as the "uber secret" to prove one has the "real" MA.
    Sure the majority of down blocks are actually hammer fist strikes. it makes sense, but I still think that, more often than not, we are grasping at straws when it comes to trying to figure out what a moves really means in a form.
    I mean, how m any times does a specific move from a form have a better application VS a certain attack than just a basic counter?
    Not very often.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Trying to interpret forms is tricky at best and is based mostly on assumption or even presumption.
    Bunkai and himitsu are things that, at least how they relate to J/OMA, tend to be used as the "uber secret" to prove one has the "real" MA.
    Sure the majority of down blocks are actually hammer fist strikes. it makes sense, but I still think that, more often than not, we are grasping at straws when it comes to trying to figure out what a moves really means in a form.
    I mean, how m any times does a specific move from a form have a better application VS a certain attack than just a basic counter?
    Not very often.
    Really the applications in this form are pretty basic and straightforward... if one has a teacher that's actually showing them rather than trying to figure out the applications by looking at the sequential pics that KFM published last year. It's not that hard and it's often one of the first forms that's taught in a Chin Wu line school like 7* Mantis or Eagle Claw.

Hitman would be best served by looking up the Mantis guys that post here from his side of the pond to show him the apps. There are several that post here from the isles.

Best way to see application is simply to do the form against an opponent.

I have people hold my wrists and then to the form EXACTLY without altering things.
    I do the form with a staff, sword, knife, and spear and gain application insights that way too.
    I do the form as takedown and throws.
    I do the form as scissor cutting moves.
    I do the form as simple punching and kicking just for exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    many of the strikes in Tan Tuei are preceded by large sweeping movents. In Southern boxing as well as Northern, these are clearng movements that control the opponent's arm and body and whip them into the strike.
    Correct.