Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: questions about tan tui

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Trying to interpret forms is tricky at best and is based mostly on assumption or even presumption....
    Horse puckey.

Bunkai and himitsu are things that, at least how they relate to J/OMA, tend to be used as the "uber secret" to prove one has the "real" MA.
    When they happen to be right.

Sure the majority of down blocks are actually hammer fist strikes.
    No, they're not.

it makes sense, but I still think that, more often than not, we are grasping at straws when it comes to trying to figure out what a moves really means in a form.
    That is a process that is something your SiFu is supposed to teach you.
    At first you learn applications & their derivation by rote.
    SEEing how they are derived is supposed to teach you to properly derive applications on your own.... eventually.

I mean, how m any times does a specific move from a form have a better application VS a certain attack than just a basic counter?
    Not very often.
    I strongly disagree with that statement.
    In fact, I think it is just the opposite.

Horse puckey.
    Horse don't actually puke that much.

When they happen to be right.
    When is right.

No, they're not.
    Yes they are.

That is a process that is something your SiFu is supposed to teach you.
    At first you learn applications & their derivation by rote.
    SEEing how they are derived is supposed to teach you to properly derive applications on your own.... eventually.
    I strongly disagree with that statement.
    In fact, I think it is just the opposite.
    The basics, the core, are what matters, I don't see anything going anywhere with out them.
    Advanced principles need a solid base to flow from.
    Without a stable "launch platform" the most advanced of moves have nothing on them other than fluff.
    I have no issues with advanced principles, there are many, even advanced type of training, but advanced techniques?
    Not so much.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Horse don't actually puke that much.
    "1. puckey
    Dried animal feces, typically horse, cow or bull. Often used as an expletive replacement for its more vulgar counterpart, sh*t, and often used by older generations. "

Perhaps you Canadians or your horses are confused.....?

Yes they are.
    If you don't know how to recognize or use your basics, that is not my problem.

The basics, the core, are what matters, I don't see anything going anywhere with out them.
    Agreed.
    Perhaps you need to find someone to re-teach them to you.

Advanced principles need a solid base to flow from.
    Without a stable "launch platform" the most advanced of moves have nothing on them other than fluff.
    It's not just stability.... it's "working" basics in the sense of both the term "work" as used in physics and of the applicability of a given technique.

I have no issues with advanced principles, there are many, even advanced type of training, but advanced techniques?
    Not so much.
    That's pretty much the opposite of what you said in your last 2 postings on the "wc form" thread.
    The salient point is in your post #26 in which you state in a round-about manner that students need a good teacher. (but not for basics?)

"I disagree in regards to basics and agree in regards to the "intricacies"."

OTOH, this might just be one of your efforts at "promoting conversation".
    Whatever the case, I'm done with this.
    "Results speak for themselves."

"1. puckey
    Dried animal feces, typically horse, cow or bull. Often used as an expletive replacement for its more vulgar counterpart, sh*t, and often used by older generations. "

Perhaps you Canadians or your horses are confused.....?
    LOL , yes, you are correct.

If you don't know how to recognize or use your basics, that is not my problem.
    Quite, my problem is also forgetting that on the net, you can't tell if someone is serious or joking without smileys, my bad.

Agreed.
    Perhaps you need to find someone to re-teach them to you.
    I am sure it wouldn't hurt, we call use a good reminder every so often.

It's not just stability.... it's "working" basics in the sense of both the term "work" as used in physics and of the applicability of a given technique.
    Agreed.

That's pretty much the opposite of what you said in your last 2 postings on the "wc form" thread.
    The salient point is in your post #26 in which you state in a round-about manner that students need a good teacher. (but not for basics?)

"I disagree in regards to basics and agree in regards to the "intricacies"."

OTOH, this might just be one of your efforts at "promoting conversation".
    Whatever the case, I'm done with this.
    "Results speak for themselves."
    The other thread was dealing with video instructionals and coming at them with prior similar points of refernences.
    EX: you can learn the basics of BJJ if you have a solid core in Judo but the "intricacies" MAY escape you.

I always promote conversation and debate. its how we challenge the status quo, sorry if that bothers you.

Yes, results do speak for themselves, more than anything else.

Even though I said I was "done with this".......

LOL , yes, you are correct.
    On one, or both, counts?

Quite, my problem is also forgetting that on the net, you can't tell if someone is serious or joking without smileys, my bad.
    I think I recently noted something to the effect that "you are what you post".

The other thread was dealing with video instructionals and coming at them with prior similar points of refernences.
    EX: you can learn the basics of BJJ if you have a solid core in Judo but the "intricacies" MAY escape you.
    .... and you agreed with the idea that a good teacher might be needed to impart "advanced techniques"/"intricacies".

I always promote conversation and debate. its how we challenge the status quo, sorry if that bothers you.
    I have "less reason to care", since.......

Yes, results do speak for themselves, more than anything else.
    It's kinda nice for a mostly-retired SiFu to see that some of his teachings have survived for 3 more generations.

On one, or both, counts?
    No comment.

I think I recently noted something to the effect that "you are what you post".
    Very True.

.... and you agreed with the idea that a good teacher might be needed to impart "advanced techniques"/"intricacies".
    What was I thinking ???

It's kinda nice for a mostly-retired SiFu to see that some of his teachings have survived for 3 more generations.
    Traditions die hard, some because they work, some because they don't.
    Quite the paradox.

Traditions die hard, some because they work, some because they don't.
    Quite the paradox.

It even happens that some things go on to be taught to a 4th generation...... etc

more question

Dear all,

a) When you are in a bow stance, with one hand in front of you (plam strike). You another hand is behind you and you bend your fingers into a hook ( next to your rib).

At first I thought the hook is desgined against a front kick, while you do a plam strike to your opponent's chest. However, when I tested it out against a friend, my wrist was in pain trying to use my hook to hold on to his foot for more than 2 seconds.

What is the reason for the hook?

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Dear all,

a) When you are in a bow stance, with one hand in front of you (plam strike). You another hand is behind you and you bend your fingers into a hook ( next to your rib).

At first I thought the hook is desgined against a front kick, while you do a plam strike to your opponent's chest. However, when I tested it out against a friend, my wrist was in pain trying to use my hook to hold on to his foot for more than 2 seconds.

What is the reason for the hook?

Thank you very much
    Can be used as a chin na move, in case someone grabs your hand when punching.

Have someone hold your wrist, close your eyes, and then do this move correctly, you'll see that it works great to break someone's hold.

( of course don't close your eyes all the time, just when trying the move the first time so you are not distracted)

Downward block=downward strike=downward block...

<---- Me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Downward block=downward strike=downward block...

<---- Me
    If you are referring to the little exchange between Pete and I, it's just an ongoing tease I have with him
    We both know they can be both.

If you are referring to the little exchange between Pete and I, it's just an ongoing tease I have with him
    We both know they can be both.

Ok...gotcha...

I guess I'll go and give the wife the ol' Springing Leg.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Ok...gotcha...

I guess I'll go and give the wife the ol' Springing Leg.
    Well, there goes the IP training for 24 hours !
    LOL !

another question

Dear all,

There are four areas in tan tui:

1) Foot work

2) Body work

3) Leg work

4) Hand work

Is it possible for some one to explain to me the meaning of body work?

Thank you very much

How can the weak defeat the strong?"

Shen Fa - body method or body work.
    This is the way that you coordinate the body to move the limbs.
    So, if shifu says that your body method needs work, he would mean that the hands are moving devoid of coordination to the waist and torso.

1) 'Foot work' this would be bu fu, which is better translated as stepping method. How you dodge, leap and turn.

This article of mine describes it in more detail. The interesting thing of this article are the quotes from Qing Dynasty manuscripts of kung fu.

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.co....htm#deceptiom