Thread: questions about tan tui

Greetings,

Tan Tui, Second Road:

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images...79bb3b_landing

mickey

Blog Entries

Greetings,

Yes, YouKnowwho.

The guy on the right is doing it, pretty much. The ripping pull and upper body rotation that would help the tachnique is not there, though. That photo is as close as I could get to showing that application of "Cross Leg," the second road of both 10 and 12 line Tan Tui (I am not tech savvy).

(Edit: YouKnowWho, I took a moment to try to speak your language. Please consult the Chan Chiao book. The second road incorporates the concept of "Yao" as described on page 83 and demonstrated in fig.198. There is a similar demonstration on page 17 fig. 18.)

When you get past the punch and kick by getting "closer" to your opponent with the moves, the grappling and throwing stuff starts popping up with a passion.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-17-2009 at 05:00 PM.

YouKnowWho,

My "edit" was to make sure that you got what I was talking about. Nothing more.

Respectfully,

mickey

Blog Entries
    I now see what you and Sal were talking about. In Tan Tui, there is always a "pull" when you "punch". So if you modify the angle of your kick, it can always be a sweep or scoop. In Tan Tui #2, the kick is a back to front straight line. In the application that you have described, the kick is a 45 degree curve line. Also in the form the right hand punches straight forward and moves the opposite direction as the left hand is moving. In the application, the right hand moves the same direction as the left hand instead. If you modify like this then you can use it to train "forward kick - sweep" or "scoop".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-17-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Yesss!!!

Now you got it.

That will be a thousand dollars....American.

mickey

More....

YouKnowWho, do you remember this post?

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=37304

I was describing something similar to "Trunk Hitting" (Zhuang) and "Advanced Squeeze" (Kao)(Chan Chiao pg 20-21, fig. 27-32) combined with Elbow Cracking and a lower leg attack if "Yao" does not work.

Good Gosh! This Chan Chiao book is good. I can converse with you now.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-17-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mickey:

Can't believe this discussion had happened 5 years ago. In that CC book, the "4 sides" and "2 doors" are good but you may still be able to get those information from any Judo book. The best part of that CC book is the "butterfly hands" section. Even David's students didn't feel those information should be released to the public domain. It contains a complete set of "grip fighting skill" and excellent "entering strategy".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-17-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I now see what you and Sal were talking about. In Tan Tui, there is always a "pull" when you "punch". So if you modify the angle of your kick, it can always be a sweep or scoop. In Tan Tui #2, the kick is a back to front straight line. In the application that you have described, the kick is a 45 degree curve line. Also in the form the right hand punches straight forward and moves the opposite direction as the left hand is moving. In the application, the right hand moves the same direction as the left hand instead. If you modify like this then you can use it to train "forward kick - sweep" or "scoop".
    Cool, this is true for all long fists sets too.

One thing to think about concerning tan tui, first investigate where it comes from.

We know it is practiced in Shantung province, and for a very long time, at least since Qing dynasty, which means by now it has been influenced by other Shantung martial arts such as Mi Song / Yan Qing, Hong Quan, Tai Zu, Mantis, etc.

Tan Tui is part of the Cha Quan system, which is either founded in the Tang Dynasty or the Ming dynasty, depending on which version of history you believe.
    It is known that it is a training set abbreviated from various Moslem martial arts that were derived from Jiazi (frame) Boxing, which was originally from Western China (Mi Song also has Jiazi Quan). The various Moslem martial arts are Cha Quan, Hua Quan, Hong (slippery, not red) Quan, Tui (leg) Quan, and some others.

Looking at Tan Tui's roots will give one a better idea of it's original body mechanics, strategy, and movements, rather than how it is generally done today, which may have become deluded and distorted over time.

I love looking at Mi Song sets and seeing Tan Tui movements inside the postures, then looking at the applications of these Mi Song sets and then re-applying them to the analogous Tan Tui movement. You see applications that you never realized were possible this way. But they are there.

Kicking and punching and stretching is barely scratching the surface of these sets.

Same is true for any other long fist set.

ah a topic I love.

Happy new Year Sal and Mickey.

eric

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    ah a topic I love.

Happy new Year Sal and Mickey.

eric
    You too.

I've been spending a lot of time researching Ba Fan Shan style sets and the eagle claw technique of Yueh Fei is always prominent.

I think it went from Ba Fan Shan to Shaolin Luohan over time.
    But the real roots of this Shaolin Luohan is an ancient Dragon set from Louyang city.

My research is showing that The classic eagle claw grasp technique of Yueh Fei found in Ba Fan Shan is the exact same thing as Hong Quan movement in all Shaolin long fist sets, and the very same thing as Pi Quan in Xing Yi, and the very same thing as Brush Knee, Wash face in Tai Ji Quan.

Hi ngokfei,

Happy New Year to you as well.

mickey

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    As a general reference this may be nice but ... whew ... I hope no one tries to learn nor compare or judge a form based on things like that...
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Blog Entries
    Can't get any argument out of that form. Young, nice muscle, nice structure, good flexibility.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Can't get any argument out of that form. Young, nice muscle, nice structure, good flexibility.
    Not sure I understand what you mean by that, but I agree that the form is pretty great - a lot of northern stylists will say "no tan tui, no kung fu"...
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org