Thread: "cooker" banned in MMA rule revision

"cooker" banned in MMA rule revision

So you can no longer use your hand to smother an opponent in a clinch. What do you guys think of this? It's not inherently dangerous, so is it a dangerous path to go down to ban a technique because it's inelegant and seems a bit dirty?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    So you can no longer use your hand to smother an opponent in a clinch. What do you guys think of this? It's not inherently dangerous, so is it a dangerous path to go down to ban a technique because it's inelegant and seems a bit dirty?
    Does it make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

wait...
    are you saying no pushing your palm to the face when in the clinch?
    or are you talking about more of a head chancery where you push the back of their head down?
    or are you talking more about the "chloroform" position in kidnapping scenes in movies, where you cover the mouth and nose in an attempt to restrict oxygen flow?

Neither of the first 2 is a good loss in the clinch.
    The first is a nice way to get out of bad clinch position- you put your palm across their face and push back, which allows you to free your head from being double clinched.
    The second is how knees are landed.

I could see the third one having it's uses.

I don't like it when techniques get taken out.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nevermind if it is legal in MMA competitions. Does it work in combat? I am far more interested in what will save my life and those of my students on the street over what might get me disqualified in a sporting event.

Let's not lose sight of why it is we do what we do. Otherwise, MMA will eventually go the way of Wu-Shu or Pro Wrestling.
    (ok, maybe not so soon, but still...)

It's option 3. It's a good way to wear down your opponent in an upper body clinch, and keep his attention while you set up something else. Randy used to use it a lot.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Which MMA rules? Do I take it you mean UFC?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    nevermind if it is legal in MMA competitions. Does it work in combat? I am far more interested in what will save my life and those of my students on the street over what might get me disqualified in a sporting event.

Let's not lose sight of why it is we do what we do. Otherwise, MMA will eventually go the way of Wu-Shu or Pro Wrestling.
    (ok, maybe not so soon, but still...)
    Well, this is the MMA forum, so obviously discussions center around sport-specific techniques.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    wait...
    are you saying no pushing your palm to the face when in the clinch?
    or are you talking about more of a head chancery where you push the back of their head down?
    or are you talking more about the "chloroform" position in kidnapping scenes in movies, where you cover the mouth and nose in an attempt to restrict oxygen flow?

Neither of the first 2 is a good loss in the clinch.
    The first is a nice way to get out of bad clinch position- you put your palm across their face and push back, which allows you to free your head from being double clinched.
    The second is how knees are landed.

I could see the third one having it's uses.

I don't like it when techniques get taken out.
    Never liked anything that puts my fingers and hand close enough and long enough to bite.
    Maybe its a good idea they remove it, last thing you want is to get in the habit of using a sport move that is not applicable in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Never liked anything that puts my fingers and hand close enough and long enough to bite.
    Maybe its a good idea they remove it, last thing you want is to get in the habit of using a sport move that is not applicable in the real world.
    You can do it with your palm, not your fingers - if you keep the edge of your palm against the nostril side of their nose, shouldn't be in too much risk of being bit.

You can still control their balance from that position; so taking it out's pretty bogus.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

You can do it with your palm, not your fingers - if you keep the edge of your palm against the nostril side of their nose, shouldn't be in too much risk of being bit.

You can still control their balance from that position; so taking it out's pretty bogus.
    I know some people with pretty big mouths...

So what was the reasoning for its removal?

And is this something that could be expected to carry over and effect the use of smothering in the gaurd?

I know some people with pretty big mouths...
    LMFAO that could be taken sooo many ways...

LMFAO that could be taken sooo many ways...
    No? really ??

No? really ??
    well I had to type SOMETHING to fill in the rest of the 10 char minimum. LOL