Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasing flexability -- leg stretcher vs old school?

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFNTUFGIRL View Post
    I have been doing that stretch after workouts. Recently, I have started to work on placing myself in a supine position with one leg flat and taking the other and straightning it (using a band) as far to my head as possible. All that I feel is incredible pain. I really need someone to push the leg towards me. Anyway, I have not seen any change.
    it may not be working for a number of different reasons (and TBH, I never do this clinically, because I have never gotten any lasting results from it):

first, it's very hard to maintain a fixed point on one end of the hams for the stretch as both the knee and the pelvis are moving; when you flex the hip up past the available range of the hamstrings, the pelvis tilts posteriorly (flattening the low back into the floor), and then lumbar spine flexes; at the same time the knee usually starts bending; this typically gets no results, because you have no fixed point of stability for the muscle to stretch off of; also, while you may get some temporary increase in flexibility, if the hams are "tight" because they are compensating for some sort of pelvic core muscle imbalance when in gravity, they will often return to that functional length if the original imbalance still persists (just an example, not saying this is the case with you)

also, one should really not ever feel "incredible pain" when stretching, as this will most likely make the muscle contract reflexively and then you end up fighting yourself (an exception might be when stretching out contractures, but this is clinical, not recreational)

it may be a question of expectations as well - if you have always been tight, then your progress may necessarily have to be incremental; and also what one does in between stretching can have an influence on retention of gains made in training

if you are looking for someone to work it with, try to get someone who is trained - either a certified personal trainer, athletic trainer, etc. who knows about contract / relax techniques - this can at least help with the neuromuscular part

Just skimmed through this thread I used this tutorial when I was first starting out and another one I can't find the link to now. Long read but well worth it.

http://www.trickstutorials.com/index...e=content/flx3

-Me

Thanks for that link, Broken Fist. That's really comprehensive, and like you said, well worth the read!!

Glad you liked it, hope it helps you out
    -Me

TigerCrane NYC,

Thomas Kurtz's columns on the www.stadion.com are good read for the question on flexibility.

My experience is also a good reference which might answer your questions too. In year 2002, I first tried the side leg split stretch in my life. At the time I did not realize that I had suffered from a gradual onset of hamstring injury. I only felt dull pain and unusual muscle tiredness of my hamstrings only. The injury announced itself loud and clear two weeks after I suddenly achieved a full side split. From then on, I endured a painful and difficult rehabilitation process on my hamstrings. I have not achieved a full side split since then, but I am getting very close (4 inches from the floor). Yesterday, I confirmed the correct hip and thigh alignment is about 30 degrees forward from the vertical when I stretched (start and end with feet pointing forward). I got down to less than 3 inches from the floor. This is the main reason that have prevented me from getting to a full split. Strengthening the corresponding muscles also help you to stretch further.

P.S. - Yep, the side split stretch is the most difficult one of our body parts. No matter one can eventually achieve the full split, I agree that serious athelete should include this stretch in their regular training.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 08-11-2008 at 07:35 PM.

I have a hurley stretch rack. it comes in handy, but it's unnecessary.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Well, my related body parts for the side split stretch are older and perhaps less strong than they were 6 years ago, when my hamstring injuries announced. Currently, I can stretch down to 2-3 inches from the floor. But I need to use almost maximum strength in order to do so. Is it neccessary? It does not seem. Because I have witnessed people getting into a full split w/o using maximum strength.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Get the book by Pavel Tsatsouline called "Relax Into Stretch."

It's lightyears ahead of "traditional" methods.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Really though...

I think when it comes to stretching there are only three important points.

One, warm your muscles up completely first. There is that old saying "Cold steel breaks but hot steel can be tempered" or whatever.
    Two, Stretch everyday
    Three, it takes years of daily practice to develop solid, lasting flexibility.

I'm not sure about stretching machines, but there are some old school methods that work fine involving a tree or pull up bar and a piece of rope if you want to save some money.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I have a hurley stretch rack. it comes in handy, but it's unnecessary.
    What is a hurley stretch rack?

Gravity, Consistency, and a high pain tolerance are the only tools you will need to gain flexibility.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Yep, strength training and flexibility training should both be done in order for one to reach his muscle strength full potential. IMHO, these two kinds of training supplement each other. In fact, sports research has been carried out to conclude so.

KC
    Hong Kong