Thread: Jackie Chan Museum

Jackie Chan Museum

All these years and Jackie is still in Bruce's shadow.

Jackie Chan Museum" Shows His Glory
    2008-07-09 08:33:52

Jackie Chan's legendary career will be archived in a new museum for which the star laid the foundation Tuesday in Shanghai.

Chan handpicked the location for the museum, which will be named after him, in the Changfeng Ecology Commercial District in Shanghai's Putuo District, Sina.com.cn says.

The museum will largely be renovated from old factory buildings. When completed on October 1 next year, it will take up about 3,100 square meters.

Visitors will be able to retrace Chan's footsteps from Hong Kong to Hollywood, and navigate through detailed showpieces of Chan from being a Chinese icon, a kung-fu megastar to a charity devotee, Sina says.

Also on display will be some of Chan's film awards, as well as costumes and props he has used.

Besides the museum, more side projects have been put on the actor's agenda. According to Chan's Web site, he recently signed a contract in Yunnan Province for a Jackie Chan Peace Garden, which he will cooperate with the local government to promote "Environment, Friendship, and Charity." An earlier report also quoted Chan as saying that he was planning to build a kung-fu school.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i don't know if i would want a museum dedicated to me while i was alive

Three months away...

I was going to put this in the Jackie’s Charity work thread, but then I noticed how soon this will open.
    Jackie Chan to donate all property after death
    (CRI) Updated: 2009-07-23 14:00

Kungfu superstar Jackie Chan said he would donate all his property after his death during a recent meet'n'greet with Chinese college students.

The actor donated half of his property 10 years ago. He said he still needed the other half to raise his son and pay for his employees, the United Daily News reports.

Chan has a wide range of collections, including 7 ancient Chinese houses. He revealed that he plans to donate six of them.

He will also donate props used in his films to the Shanghai municipal government as part of an exhibition in the Jackie Chan Film Art Museum, which started construction last July and is expected to open to the public on October 1, 2009.
    Will anyone be in Shanghai on October 1, 2009?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie has too much s**t

I'll say. Check out the Jackie Chan's franchises thread.
    Jackie Chan - Jackie Chan's Film Museum?
    08 November 2010 06:46:14 AM

Jackie Chan's Film Museum?

Jackie Chan plans to open a museum filled with items from all the movies he has worked on called Jackie Chan World.

Jackie Chan wants to open a museum filled with things he has collected.

The 'Karate Kid' actor plans to create Jackie Chan World, a place where he can put everything he has purchased over the years on show for his fans and also plans to give things away as he has too much "s**t".

He said: "All my props and costumes, I put them there. I want people to go in and see them. Now I am planning Jackie Chan World - everything I've collected all these years will go in there. Teacups and saucers, cars, rocks, spoons.

"In my office, so many s**t! I've got six lofts in Hong Kong and if I want to find an Apple (Mac) I can't find it anywhere. I have to buy a new one. One day, when I die, I want my bank account to be zero. Nothing."

The 56-year-old action star also wants to open a stunt school for actors to train in where he would visit and give advice.

He told Empire magazine: "When I open it I want to visit twice every week. There is a lot to teach. But the most important thing for a stunt-guy is personality - you have to be humble and happy to learn.

"A good stunt guy understands rhythm, timing, even editing and camera angles. Me, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Stallone, we're only good because the stunt guys are good."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lots of buzz on this todya

Click for the videos. They're very amusing.
    Published: Nov 9, 2010
    Jackie Chan Museum (VIDEO) 'Jackie Chan World' Set For Shanghai!
    by Tashi Singh

Shanghai will soon be welcoming visitors to 'Jackie Chan World', a museum that action hero Jackie Chan says is almost a necessity if he wants someplace to put all his things, says the high energy kung-fu actor.

Chan, 56, says he has approximately 6 lofts in Shanghai with props and costumes, among other endless possessions from his many movies.

"All my props and costumes, I put them there. I want people to go in and see them. Now I am planning Jackie Chan World - everything I`ve collected all these years will go in there. Teacups and saucers, cars, rocks, spoons," the actor-comedian said.

"I've got six lofts in Hong Kong and if I want to find an Apple (Mac) I can`t find it anywhere. I have to buy a new one. One day, when I die, I want my bank account to be zero. Nothing," the actor said.

The action star also wishes to train prospective actors on stunting by opening a school.

"When I open it I want to visit twice every week. There is a lot to teach. But the most important thing for a stunt-guy is personality - you have to be humble and happy to learn," he told Empire magazine.

"A good stunt guy understands rhythm, timing, even editing and camera angles. Me, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Stallone, we're only good because the stunt guys are good."

Chan handpicked the location for the museum, which will be named after him, in the Changfeng Ecology Commercial District in Shanghai's Putuo District, Sina.com.cn says.

The museum will largely be renovated from old factory buildings. When completed, it will take up about 3,100 square meters, reported China Daily in 2008. Construction started in July of that year, with hopes that it would be completed by October 2009.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Great! Cool Vid! Master Chan!

Interesting timing

Just this week, it was announced that the Bruce Lee museum stalled.
    Actor Chan gets a museum in Shanghai
    2011-06-29 08:24

THE Jackie Chan Museum, displaying the accomplishments of the renowned movie star, along with nine other arts and culture museums, is expected to receive visitors later this year.

The construction of the Jackie Chan Museum - the only one named after the Hong Kong cinema icon worldwide - has been completed but the interior decoration has yet to be finished, local authorities said yesterday.

All the museums, part of a culture tourism project, are housed along Suzhou Creek and are the highlights of the Changfeng Ecological Business Park in Putuo District.

People will see displays of Chan's acting accomplishments and charity activities. A large number of costumes, props and photographs will be exhibited at the museum.

Lu Huan, an official with the Putuo District government, told Shanghai Daily yesterday that some museums of the tourism project, such as the Changfeng Yacht Exhibition Hall, Shanghai Trademark and Logo Museum and Shanghai Textile Museum, are already open on a trial run, with free entry.

The Jackie Chan Museum comprises three buildings standing at the intersection of the Daduhe Road and Yuanling Road E.

In addition to the facility, museums featuring home appliances, cartoons, and paintings and calligraphy works are also under construction.

Along Suzhou Creek, people can visit various museums and cultural creativity projects lined along the 2.7-kilometer section.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

An update

Not much of an update - still no opening date. Hopefully we can get a report when it opens.
    World's first Jackie Chan Museum to open in Shanghai
    The kung fu superstar will soon host his own movie studio, art gallery and Avenue of Stars beside Suzhou Creek
    By CNNGo staff 30 August, 2011

Jackie Chan Museum

According to Jackie Chan, visitors to his new museum will be able to meet Chinese celebrities.

Jackie Chan (成龙) might just be the most famous Chinese in the world. He's certainly one of the most talented.

The 57-year-old multilingual Hong Kong-born celebrity is a kung fu master, stars in and directs movies, croons pop songs and organizes charity events. Now the world's first museum bearing his name is set to open in Shanghai.

The Jackie Chan Museum (成龙电影艺术馆), built inside a revamped factory, is expected to open later this year, reported Shanghai Daily.

According to Solon So (苏志鸿), CEO of Chan’s company JC Group, this will be the world’s first Jackie Chan museum.

Designed along the theme of "China symbol, kung fu star, charity ambassador,” the museum is located within the Changfeng Ecological Business District (CEBD) in Shanghai’s Putuo district beside Suzhou Creek.

Construction on the project started three years ago, but no report has clearly indicated who provided the funds, or their amount.

According to information provided by CEBD, the 10,000-square-meter museum will house an Avenue of Stars, a gallery for movie art, a four-story Italian restaurant and Chan’s own movie studio.

And according to Chan himself, fans will be able to meet and talk with Chinese celebrities while touring the studio.

A large number of movie costumes, properties and posters will be showcased in the soon-to-open gallery to summarize Chan's four decades in the movies.

Putuo district government claimed on its official website that Chan had “personally visited the district several times to choose a site” and the museum would be “the world’s only dedicated movie museum with Jackie Chan’s name on the doors.”

Chan has reportedly lamented that the Hong Kong government did not respond to his request to build a museum in his hometown.

The Jackie Chan Museum is a part of Shanghai Putuo government’s plan to redevelop its 14 kilometer-long Suzhou River bank area.

More than 10 other museums are planned to open along Suzhou Creek in Putuo by the end of 2013, including Shanghai Textile Museum, Shanghai Brand Museum and Shanghai Matchbox Museum, all of which will be located in old factory buildings.

The Jackie Chan Museum is located on the intersection of Daduhe Lu (大渡河路) and Yunling Dong Lu (云岭东路). The grand opening date and ticket prices have yet to be confirmed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Museum coverage in Kung Fu Tai Chi

Read Battle for Harmony: A Visit to the Jackie Chan Film Gallery By Emilio Alpanseque in our SEP+OCT 2016 issue.

Emilio also contributed a shotgun ezine article to this - Read Painted Faces: A tribute to the old "Seven Little Fortunes" by Emilio Alpanseque. This stemmed largely from research he did after visiting Jackie's Gallery, as well as additional peripheral research.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Someday I hope to spend time in Shanghai...

...I've only been through the airport. If I make it, I'm making a bee-line here.

Jackie Chan has his own museum in Shanghai and it’s an absolute blast

BY TOBIAS HANDKE

As both a film lover and Jackie Chan fan, when I discovered the great man has a museum dedicated to his career in Shanghai it immediately went to the top of my list of must see attractions. Located an hour out of central Shanghai and easily accessible by the metro, the aptly named Jackie Chan Film Museum is a must for anyone with a passion for the marital arts legend’s career.

Opening almost a decade ago, the museum is situated in a nondescript building in the suburb of Hongqiao. Entry is 150rmb ($30AUD), which is a little high for a typical museum in China, but it’s well worth your hard-earned dollars.

After a short welcome video from Chan (I was the only one present), you’re free to explore the museum and take in the extraordinary career of the stuntman turned Hollywood star. The museum is divided into four sections tracing Chan’s early days through his film career to his present day philanthropic work.

Journeying through the multiple rooms and spaces is a film fan’s wet dream, with movie props from projects such as First Strike, Project A and Mr. Nice Guy dominating the museum. There are interactive activities, videos and personal stories from Chan charting the actor’s life. You can even have your photo taken with several shoddily crafted Jackie Chan mannequins wearing costumes from his movies.

Like his classic kung fu and action flicks, subtlety isn’t the museums strength. There’s a car hanging from the ceiling upon entrance, the motorbike from Police Story bursting through an adjacent wall and a giant shark with its jaws open embedded in another section of wall. It almost feels like you’re part of Chan film.

The museum also features movie posters of every film Chan has starred in and tributes from other successful actors, musicians, sporting stars and personalities congratulating Chan on his career. Chan’s original hand imprints from outside Grauman’s Chinese Theatre are enclosed in a glass case next to a replica of his Hollywood Star, along with Jackie Chan action figures, a fake head and a statue of Chan decked out in his outfit from Dragon Blade. There’s even an area devoted to Chan’s musical endeavours where you can listen to selected works from his 12 studio albums.

As you near the end of the museum, the focus becomes more concerned on Chan’s ongoing charity work than his latest film releases. A proud UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, Chan has invested his own money in a number of different foundations across China aimed at helping young children and the elderly. Besides film, charity work seems to be Chan’s main passion in life. It’s refreshing to see the lack of ego surrounding Chan and his willingness to help others.

The Jackie Chan Film Museum is both a bizarre and enriching experience. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but if you’re a fan of Chan’s work, it’s a great way to spend a few hours learning about the martial arts expert’s truly amazing life.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips