Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JKD Footwork

JKD Footwork

This is a JKD question, but I wasn't sure where to post it. I read recently in a book about Bruce Lee's training that he practiced his sidekicks using several footwork methods like the quick advance, shuffle, etc. One of them, he called the step through and back. Does anyone know what that means?

Its over, under, around, and through. Oh wait, that's how you tie shoelaces.....
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon

With this footwork technique you would use a side on stance. Say you intend to throw a right side kick. You would step through with the left foot behind the right foot, then you would bring the right foot whipping back as a side kick. With practice you can move considerable distance with this footwork. This footwork is not exclusive to JKD however. I have seen it done in several different styles of gung fu.

Can u see that footwork here in this video? This is JKD for Street Self Defense.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5kDIiunSrc

Quote Originally Posted by hulkout View Post
    This is a JKD question, but I wasn't sure where to post it. I read recently in a book about Bruce Lee's training that he practiced his sidekicks using several footwork methods like the quick advance, shuffle, etc. One of them, he called the step through and back. Does anyone know what that means?
    At 0:32 is the way you do the lead side kick in JKD. I have not seen it done this way anywhere else other than JKD.

JKD Real Fighting Techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HVdNZk5JOw

Impressive. Awesomely impressive.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Still can't get over how awesomely impressive that clip was.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    JKD Real Fighting Techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HVdNZk5JOw

Impressive. Awesomely impressive.
    OMFG...I can't believe people think it's okay to call that JKD.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    OMFG...I can't believe people think it's okay to call that JKD.
    His commentry is as wicked as his skill.....

"bamm..i can trap anyone up..." LOL

Honestly, sometimes i think if i won the Lotto id travel around going to visit guys like this to 'touch hands' LOL ...then im like na all my mates know i wouldnt waste my time and money - id be taking them to 'loose your wages'... Las Vegas !

Sa...aa...ad !

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

The original "step-in" lead leg side kick was taken from Savate, though after he modified it a bit from ITF TKD, bringing the rear foot to the front heel rather than behind it ( makes the kick faster).
    Nowadays its kind of all over the place, I have seen step-in side kicks, hopping side kicks, and a bunch of other types.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    Still can't get over how awesomely impressive that clip was.
    "You see that?"

"See?"

"See how that's done?"

"Bam, bam, bish!"

"Pish, pish, pew, pew!"

"Okay? In closing...I want you to understand something. That's how real fights should be."
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

har har, this is just what Bruce was talking about... These last two videos don't show decent martial arts at all, and with the JKD stamp on it, I wouldn't be surprised if both of these guys are just self taught.

"Black belt? Certified what? Ninja please, I've got JKD, I can make this stuff up as I go!"

My books are packed away somewhere, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't quote, but didn't Bruce say that it was NOT his intent for JKD schools to pop up all over the place?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The original "step-in" lead leg side kick was taken from Savate, though after he modified it a bit from ITF TKD, bringing the rear foot to the front heel rather than behind it ( makes the kick faster).
    Isn't the step to the heal or behind it just a range thing? If you're further away you have to step further past the lead leg or you won't reach.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Isn't the step to the heal or behind it just a range thing? If you're further away you have to step further past the lead leg or you won't reach.
    It can be a range thing or it can be used to add more momentum.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

or a combination there of with added speed to boost.

also can be a pretty big suprise to someone if they dont notice in time, if you move a lot it can be diguised until its too late, hopefully slowing your opponents reaction time.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.