Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JKD Footwork

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    or a combination there of with added speed to boost.

also can be a pretty big suprise to someone if they dont notice in time, if you move a lot it can be diguised until its too late, hopefully slowing your opponents reaction time.
    Correct, it fits well into stick fighting for example with the kali footwork, it can even be done at far closer ranges than one thinks.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The reason for the pendulum movement is to get the hip to turn over without telegraphing it the way you see it in done in many other martial arts, MMA included.

for sidekicks in general, im surpised at how little we see in MMA, they pack a nice punch to the body thats for sure.

I seem to remember, i forget what fight, but cung le kept throwing them and ended the fight with a TKO roundhouse to the body, im guessing due to the few sidekicks that landed solidly during the course of the fight.

its such an impressive tool, one would think we would see it more often.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Was it Cung Le vs Little shamrock ? that was a great fight.

Cung Le had wicked kicks land and Shamrock is a beast on a bad day, great display.

its such an impressive tool, one would think we would see it more often.
    Ever notice how the guys that can and do pull these sorts of actions off are guys that began traditional styles very early in thier lives....

Cung Le and GSP are foremost in my mind...

I think it sez something about traditional styles vs whats considered modern 'functional' MA's

To me having a traditional background with modern functional training added after, produces technically better fighters. I dont think you get the same results the other way around.

Just my opinion.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Ever notice how the guys that can and do pull these sorts of actions off are guys that began traditional styles very early in thier lives....

I think it sez something about traditional styles vs whats considered modern 'functional' MA's

To me having a traditional background with modern functional training added after, produces technically better fighters. I dont think you get the same results the other way around.

Just my opinion.

DREW
    I have to agree on this one.

Was it Cung Le vs Little shamrock ? that was a great fight.

Cung Le had wicked kicks land and Shamrock is a beast on a bad day, great display.

Just my opinion.

DREW
    Concur.

The main reason you don't see too many lead side kicks in MMA is that you have to be in a side on stance to go them and that can get you taken down very quickly, that said, its easily modified to work in MMA.
    Side kicks are underused, much like spinning back kicks, because they are not typically taught in MMA classes, they are not a primary kick in MT, which is the primary striking system taught in MMA.
    Those that do them have brought them over from TKD, Karate or even kung fu.

Just my opinion.

DREW
    Besides looking at the 'techniques' of TMA, I strongly think it's the work ethic that comes along with it that makes them so successful. While MA can be taught in a laid back atmosphere, looking at how 'hardcore' and 'militaristic' (for lack of better words this early in the morning) some of those arts like Karate can be instills a very strong sense of work ethic and a very strong drive to persevere.

Even in some boxing gyms, the coach is always cutting you down (verbally and with the work load). This is to really help you dig deep or help you find the door, IMO.

I attribute my continued passion for research and training to the 8-9 years of Kenpo Karate I took. They pushed me past my limits and I reached personal heights that I never dreamed of in terms of fitness and conditioning. They really showed me what 'effort' really meant.

Best,
    K
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Besides looking at the 'techniques' of TMA, I strongly think it's the work ethic that comes along with it that makes them so successful. While MA can be taught in a laid back atmosphere, looking at how 'hardcore' and 'militaristic' (for lack of better words this early in the morning) some of those arts like Karate can be instills a very strong sense of work ethic and a very strong drive to persevere.

Even in some boxing gyms, the coach is always cutting you down (verbally and with the work load). This is to really help you dig deep or help you find the door, IMO.

I attribute my continued passion for research and training to the 8-9 years of Kenpo Karate I took. They pushed me past my limits and I reached personal heights that I never dreamed of in terms of fitness and conditioning. They really showed me what 'effort' really meant.

Best,
    K

This is what I like so much about my current school. My teacher pushes me to my limit and a little beyond each class. That makes me work that much harder to get to the next level so I can suck wind that much more, and then push myself to get better. It's a never ending cycle, but very much worth it. I'm in the best shape of my life, and if I continue then I'll just get in better shape, which will help me to become better in my MA.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

The tricky part is when YOU need to be the one that pushes yourself.
    When you can push yourself more than anyone else can, they you have "arrived".

When you can push yourself more than anyone else can, they you have "arrived".
    this is something ive been struggling with. some days i do well, some days i dont.

i left my last school of training because they didnt spar (taiji school, great great teacher and material, just not training fighters), and have been looking for the 'right fit'

i studied at one school for a long period of time, but since i left there ive been in and out of 3 places looking for something that is in tune with me....hopefully ill find what im looking for soon.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I like some of the JKD moves and the principles but WingTsun(GM Leung Ting System) has some of the original components of JKD in itself. When i started to work with a student of Dai-Sifu Emin Boztepe i have met with new moves that i have never experienced before, my friend said that it was JKD and their teacher thought them also in case of free fighting. They were brillant moves and were useful in street fighting. I think the martial arts cannot be a subject of few systems but can only be a group of all systems varying in different principles.

this is something ive been struggling with. some days i do well, some days i dont.

i left my last school of training because they didnt spar (taiji school, great great teacher and material, just not training fighters), and have been looking for the 'right fit'

i studied at one school for a long period of time, but since i left there ive been in and out of 3 places looking for something that is in tune with me....hopefully ill find what im looking for soon.
    Sometimes it might just have to be up to you to take it to that next level. If you liked the Tai Ji school, why not stay and develop what you want out of your training on your own? With the help of the internet and meeting people here and then, I know that I am blessed to have a group of people that I bang ideas off of. Just some ideas.

Trust me, in terms of motivation, its internal.
    Because of my schedule I have to work out at least 2 X per week at home, sometimes those days are ST but usually they are MA and I have had buddies train with me sometimes and they have said that the workouts I do at home are far more intense, simple because I condense a typical 90 min workout into an hour, sometimes less and no one pushes me better than me.
    If I am not on the verge of upchucking, I ain't working biotch !!

Well, I think if we were all honest with ourselves we would realize that we are always going to be at that point. I started training more at home this week, and in two days I have come along enough to notice an improvement.

My weak link right now is improvising. I get "stuck" mentally when sparring, so I've been working on that, pushing myself to come up with defenses and counter-attacks that I don't naturally do. I don't really think anyone else can help me with this as much as I can right now.
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Mo' Betta