Thread: Cheap alternatives to plyometric boxes?

Cheap alternatives to plyometric boxes?

Anybody got any suggestions for something cheap that I can use for box jumps?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Milk crates?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

plywood and 2x4s

random walls in the neighborhood.

playground

cars of people you dont like
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    Anybody got any suggestions for something cheap that I can use for box jumps?
    Cheaper than what?
    Cheaper than stuff you can find a wal-mart of the depot ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    plywood and 2x4s

random walls in the neighborhood.

playground

cars of people you don't like
    On that note:

Faces of people you don't like
    Your bosses desk
    Your neighbour's bed when he is away

Cheaper than the purpose made $200 plyometric boxes you can get.
    Milk crate's not big enough
    I live in a new suburb, there are no random walls
    people look at you kinda funny here if you hang out in playgrounds.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i'm in the same delima (sp?...no, too tired and ****y to look it up) luckily we train in a room built for aerobics and there is a stage w/ a 14" or so rise. Not much for gains but great for 30 second runs at it.

i have figured out that we are going to use our puzzle mats one day when we go for max heights. they are pretty stable when stacked up and easy enough to figure total height 7/8" at a time.

back at my old kung fu/ninja school we used to practice jumping up on both regular stools (leave it alone, just don't go there!) that were 30" in height I think?

we also jumped up on 2x4's that were resting across the backs of folding metal chairs...kinda a biotch since the tops were rounded off and if you didn't stick it you fell down on the 2x4 and the chairs...and had to do pushups afterwards.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

In the kung fu school in DC; we used to jump up and back down stairs (no turning around).
    Start off on the first step - jump up, as soon as your feet touch, spring off and jump back down.
    From there we'd either pyramid up (1st up & down, 1st - 2nd up & down, 1-2-3rd, etc) or we'd start with the first for 20 reps, do the second for 20, the third for 20, until you found the step you couldn't get to.

We usually did the jumping forward & backward; but both workouts (especially the pyramid) could be done side-to-side; you'd wanna switch sides somewhere in that workout though.

If you want more height, you could probably find those step aerobics platforms pretty cheap and just add the spacers till they're the height you want.

Personally, I don't have much of a vertical, so 3 or 4 stairs was usually good enough for me.

Other things I've seen used:
    a stack of mats,
    park bench (concrete probably the best),
    car bumper,
    stack of plywood....
    be creative
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

cool, we did stair stuff too, both jumping and crawling up and down on just the hands and feet (DRAGON crawling ooooohh!)...headfirst & assfirst both up and down
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    Cheaper than the purpose made $200 plyometric boxes you can get.
    Milk crate's not big enough
    I live in a new suburb, there are no random walls
    people look at you kinda funny here if you hang out in playgrounds.
    there are always walls.

people wont look at you funny if your at the playground with a buddy. ill admit its easier for me since 2 of my buddies are my 8 year old daugher and 14 year old nephew, but you can still do it if you have a friend.

the steps thing is a good idea. ive done it for random fun, but never thought to use it for training.
    where's my beer?

Just do what the Monks at shaolin do, Dig a Hole, and jump out of it. When it gets too easy, dig it deeper.

There, simple, problem solved and it's free.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Just do what the Monks at shaolin do, Dig a Hole, and jump out of it. When it gets too easy, dig it deeper.

There, simple, problem solved and it's free.
    Especially useful for apartment dwellers

just scrap it.

you don't need any devices for good plyometrics training anyway.

substitute with other plyo routines to fit.

squat/ touch the floor/ explod upwards with hands high

squat touch the floor/ explode up/change stance in air/land repeat

creek jumping. jump around as if you are jumping over water, really push your distances.

squat with weight (light) / explode and jump (this one is deadly! go light!)

lunge training and more lunge training and then some more

tire jumps (just like in football)

ski-twists one foot and two l>c>r>c>l - repeat

all these routines you can do for 1 minute per and you will feel it...big time.

Now, here's why i suggest you don't use boxes.

1. you can miss and get hurt
    2. you will find that people will rest when they get up there

keep the pace of jump training brisk and vigorous, you will get a ton out of it.

the more you can workout with as few devices as possible, the better off you are imo.

with the exception of heavy resistance training, which, well...you need weight! lol

also, i did mention the use of weights a couple of times in plyo.
    there's tons of stuff out there. box training is not the best plyo training though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

benches and various other objects you run across.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

We did some work using our puzzle mats saturday. Worked out ok but you have to make sure they are stacked straight.

One of my students (male, 21, 165) cleared just over 48". Everyone else cleared at least 36"