Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu's place

Kung Fu's place

I'm sorry to have to say this but kung fu needs to put its self back into its place. Because of people like Bruce Lee and David Carradine kung fu has become popular. Unfortunately, the magic and mysticism have ruin it. The truth is that most kung fu teachers are historians. All they know and can do are forms.

Kung fu has always been on shaky ground. It has never really proved itself. You only hear about its greatness from courageous generals to shaolin monks. But if you know a little about Chinese culture (and most others cultures) These stories are were pumped up. And if you look at history, ancient China has never won a major war from outside invaders. Even the monks got their butts kick on many occasions
    Plus, all of the old time fight videos and demos that I have seen were weak.

This doesn't mean kung fu is useless. It means that kung fu has to straighten up and get off its high horse. Clowns and Jokes need to be weeded out. Theories need to be tested in a ring. Not a MMA ring. Kung fu needs to get its act together before it takes on other styles.

I agree. Enough nonsense.
    However, there are still a lot of kung fu people that are monsters and would rather not fight in a ring. Don't discount that.
    A unique snowflake

Go to China and step into a San Shou ring. We will let them know about your thread ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Go to China and step into a San Shou ring. We will let them know about your thread ahead of time.
    what are you trying to say?

Just ignore RD, everyone else does

Funny, but when you first came to this board, you were upset that people said similar things, but I think now you see what that is about.... nothign wrong with TCMA TECHNIQUE, just with attitudes and poor training
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

squat boy, video master

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Go to China and step into a San Shou ring.

Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Just ignore RD, everyone else does

Funny, but when you first came to this board, you were upset that people said similar things, but I think now you see what that is about.... nothign wrong with TCMA TECHNIQUE, just with attitudes and poor training
    Yeah. I guess I was giving too many guys credit without looking deep into their claims. Don't get me wrong. Kung fu has many good aspects but they are covered by all the bullsh!it.

Thumbs up

Last edited by SPJ; 07-19-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    oops. my brother just told me that only overseas chinese may attend.

sorry.

back to regular program

about Kung fu needs places to go.

--

Thumbs up

so a young dude came to us and asked the question

with so many formats/venues and what to do

wushu, san shou, kuo shu/lei tai, MMA--

brother A said go to kuo shu/lei tai.

brother B said go to san shou.

and I actually said go to MMA.

http://www.youtube.com/user/artofwarfc

even thou each of us supported one format/platform/lei tai over another.

there is no reason why not wushu forms player not entering mma or san shou.

there is also no reason why not a free fighter/san shou player not entering forms/wushu comp.

--

so the question is

or the answer is

it is all up to you.

Of course, like always, jokes are made and issue is dodged.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    "Kung fu has always been on shaky ground. It has never really proved itself. You only hear about its greatness from courageous generals to shaolin monks. But if you know a little about Chinese culture (and most others cultures) These stories are were pumped up. And if you look at history, ancient China has never won a major war from outside invaders. Even the monks got their butts kick on many occasions "

The young of Understanding want immediacy.

Kung-Fu has been around eons yet you say it has not been effective. The dinosaurs are not around in the same form but Kung-Fu is still here.

Someone had a realization in Chinese History class at the University, "Only the Chinese rule China"--Ernie Moore Jr. I understood it to notice that every dynasty the invader assimilated to the Chinese Culture.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    "Kung fu has always been on shaky ground. It has never really proved itself. You only hear about its greatness from courageous generals to shaolin monks. But if you know a little about Chinese culture (and most others cultures) These stories are were pumped up. And if you look at history, ancient China has never won a major war from outside invaders. Even the monks got their butts kick on many occasions "

The young of Understanding want immediacy.

Kung-Fu has been around eons yet you say it has not been effective. The dinosaurs are not around in the same form but Kung-Fu is still here.

Someone had a realization in Chinese History class at the University, "Only the Chinese rule China"--Ernie Moore Jr. I understood it to notice that every dynasty the invader assimilated to the Chinese Culture.

I No_Know
    Oh please.

China had a stable society. It wasn't like people were fighting in the streets every day. China in its early days made a lot of advances. The Chinese society was one to look up to. Most of the invaders who beat China incorporated a lot of China's good points. The same thing happen when the Romans beat the Greeks.

Dinosaurs??? I think MMA and BJJ are the comets that are slowly ending the Kungfuasourus.

"The young of Understanding want immediacy"

I am guessing that you were sold on the "kung fu takes 20 years to master" thing. Yeah, it takes 20 years to master when you have no master. I am talking about those teachers who tell you "self-reflect self-reflect", and "find out on your own". These guys have the perfect out. If you are able to defend yourself (probably from your own merits) , the teacher was successful. However, if you can't, it is your fault and you have to look deeper. These teachers in most cases are just hiding the fact that they can't teach. These guys are just history teachers and dancers. They keep good records of what kung fu should look like (only forms). Oh yeah, they are also part-time kick boxing coaches.

I am not saying "reflect" and "finding thing out on your own" aren't good. You need to do these things. BUT a good teacher will show you how to use what you've learned. Most don't because they can't.

I don't think you know "most" teachers.

there's lots of kf teachers who have adopted mma training regimens and added them into their curriculum. simply to get their guys into those venues.

blanket statements that say "most" of this demograph or that demograph are simply misguided and misinformed.

there are always gonna be guys who say "most karate is crap" and "all kenpo is nonsense" and so on.

this is only indicative of a closed mind and limited experiences.

if you spend 20 years in the same circles, then it stand sto reason your world view will be based on that little circle you've been walking in.

these types of threads are always the same and spiral into nothing because they are notr definitive.

the primary point being: there must be a lot of crappy mma teachers out there because there must be a bajillion guys who practice mma and bjj that absolutely suck at it, are hobbyists and are not "fighting" in professional or amateur venues.

training is training.
    Kung Fu is good for you.