Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu's place

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't think you know "most" teachers.

there's lots of kf teachers who have adopted mma training regimens and added them into their curriculum. simply to get their guys into those venues.

blanket statements that say "most" of this demograph or that demograph are simply misguided and misinformed.

there are always gonna be guys who say "most karate is crap" and "all kenpo is nonsense" and so on.

this is only indicative of a closed mind and limited experiences.

if you spend 20 years in the same circles, then it stand sto reason your world view will be based on that little circle you've been walking in.

these types of threads are always the same and spiral into nothing because they are notr definitive.

the primary point being: there must be a lot of crappy mma teachers out there because there must be a bajillion guys who practice mma and bjj that absolutely suck at it, are hobbyists and are not "fighting" in professional or amateur venues.

training is training.
    Ok. ha ha ha! Give me a list of great teachers and examples of their greatness (kung fu, karate, etc).

I am not saying BJJ and MMA is the best but they have opened a lot of eyes about TMA. They showed that a lot of the claims are bull.

Have I met every kung fu master and artist? No, but I don't have to. It is the same reason I dont have to go to mars to see if gravity works there too. I have notice the trends and excuses of TMA. The trends point to bullsh!t. The main culprit is kung fu.

Like I mentioned above, kung fu, itself, is not bad. But it is filled with bull. There are good kung fu guys but they are far in between. "good" TMA doesn't mean unbeatable. It practical or workable. And it must be realistic. Have you notice that CMA has the bulk of the chi/ ki blast master, one touch kill masters and i have the best style masters? Oh but they can't demo this skill. Also there isn't much proof except hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Ok. ha ha ha! Give me a list of great teachers and examples of their greatness (kung fu, karate, etc).

I am not saying BJJ and MMA is the best but they have opened a lot of eyes about TMA. They showed that a lot of the claims are bull.

Have I met every kung fu master and artist? No, but I don't have to. It is the same reason I dont have to go to mars to see if gravity works there too. I have notice the trends and excuses of TMA. The trends point to bullsh!t. The main culprit is kung fu.

Like I mentioned above, kung fu, itself, is not bad. But it is filled with bull. There are good kung fu guys but they are far in between. "good" TMA doesn't mean unbeatable. It practical or workable. And it must be realistic. Have you notice that CMA has the bulk of the chi/ ki blast master, one touch kill masters and i have the best style masters? Oh but they can't demo this skill. Also there isn't much proof except hearsay.
    famous doesn't equal great talent. surely, you must understand that being stateside and all.

if i start mentioning names and you don't recognize any of them, then how does that help you to understand where I'm coming from.

It is enough to say that blanket staements are at best erroneous, especially when it comes to martial arts.

yes, there are shitty martial artists out there who are actively teaching what amounts to useless knowledge and what not, but who cares? It is not really important. there are crappy mma teachers out there who have no produced one fighter of any real merit outside of their closed circuit.

bjj and mma haven't opened eyes, so much as they have just upped the acceptance of violence on a different level. They kind of serve as the new reality show for people who are tired of emotional relationship conflicts between average joes locked in a condo or on an island and now instead we get to see a roster of young guys pummeling each other until a bit of blood shows or bruises etc etc etc. And because of the graphic nature of the fighting and the often seen toe to toe exchanges of punches this is somehow interpreted as the for real stuff. Which is true and untrue all in one basket.

mma training doesn't give you any more street readiness than any given kungfu style or karate or tkd or any of it.
    To argue that it does is folly.

a gun in hand frankly overrides and supercedes any skill in any martial art other than marksmanship.

so to prop up one hand to hand system over another is a waste of time as well as each are useless compared to the technology that is available for real fighting when the time comes for soe nasty deeds.

no one takes boxing gloves to a knife fight and no one takes a knife to a gun fight and no one takes antiquted guns to a bomb target, etc etc.

it's all relative.

you wanna be a real warrior? Join the army, navy, airforce, or marines and then, and only then can you make claims that you are an active warrior.

the rest is just training.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I didn't say famous, but great. Let my see your list.

Hi Flyingmonkey, perhaps you could provide a list of all the "poor" kung fu teachers that you have seen.

I agree with flying monkey in many ways.

I have seen some well respected kung fu masters that are probably able to hold themselves okish against a skilled opponent, then I have seen some masters who probably wont be able to fight their way out of anything, and then I have also met and seen some kung fu masters who are really serious about fighting. The last group usually don’t believe in all this ‘mumbo jumbo’ and are extremely serious and realistic about fighting. They understand that cross training is something you have to do, and they understand violence.

RD, although I agree with your statement, the San Shou in china is modern and very few of the ‘masters’ or coaches over there, have a traditional back ground. They approach san shou just like any MMA coach would approach MMA, but basically just focusing on san shou rules (no ground fighting). Non of them (or at least not the ones I have encountered) are under any false idea that their stuff is deadly.

A good fighter should be able to adapt. Plain and simple. If you cant, you probably not worth being called a fighter.

Most MMA fighters are under no illusions about their abilities. They test it regularly. They don’t have to kill people to show how good they are either.

But to answer Flying monkey, I do think there are still worthy Kung Fu fighters. But as with most things, they probably don’t care much about stylistic boundaries and probably do a fair amount of cross training.

All your (our) sihings and sisooks in HK cross train. I mean, Seem Lam Yuk runs a thaiboxing gym from Sifu Chow’s kwoon.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    I didn't say famous, but great. Let my see your list.

? why posture belligerently? was my response not satisfactory to you? ... and now you demand i compile lists? I would say, "you first", as is cam's request, please make a list of who you know is inadequate and explain why.

otherwise, my post speaks for itself.

also, any list i p[roduce would only be in my own opinion and by my own observation? what would you do with said list? waste a bunch of time trying to find holes in the teachings of the people in the list? how would you achieve that? how would you confirm you are correct. all the same questions already posed towards your original post which is vague, makes blankets statements , is arbitrary, condescending and ultimately empty of value due to the fact that you simply don't know these inadequate "most teachers" that you drop on the table as if it were a reality.

i guess my main point is that people need to think before they post the vague general attacks on cma practices.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 07-20-2008 at 07:18 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Whatever attracted someone to MMA does mean will be attracted to CMA; each style has it own following.

Hey, some like brunettes and other blondes... Now let's look at the ladies...

for people that are interested in testing their skills;

In Taiwan, or China, there are more venues than say 30 years ago.

In Taiwan, when I was in high school, there were only tkd. shuai jiao, judo, kanto, fencing, etc.

nowadays, there are many federation and college cups,

yang ming cup, kuo shu federation, san shou, ---

they have quarterly, season and yearly games.

western boxing games are also popular.

tkd is still the most popular in Taiwan.

so again,

you want to test your skill, go to a tourney, there also us chapters of kuo shu federation, san shou, etc and world or international league etc.

they all have regular meets.

the links

as you may search your self.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Whatever attracted someone to MMA does mean will be attracted to CMA; each style has it own following.

Hey, some like brunettes and other blondes... Now let's look at the ladies...
    Fair comment, but in the ends its all about actual fighting. And I think that’s what Flying Monkey is concerned about.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-yEev5tbts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nQm...eature=related

---

a clip of a recent fight in taipei.

I guess see some of you there or some other tourney.

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4o7x...eature=related

Wang and Yang both were san da king winners in Taiwan.

talked about their wins in K-1 fights over players from australia and thailand.

They both are also good with western boxing and had a lot of injuries over the years. and they are both old and won against younger players.

Last edited by SPJ; 07-20-2008 at 08:36 AM.

art of war fighting championship in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgPjP...eature=related

on and on.

---