Thread: Branches vs. Style

Branches vs. Style

Just curious peoples thoughts on what is more important, the branch of northern mantis you study or mantis in general.

What are peoples thoughts on cross training between the branches?

In short do you believe someone, can still have quality mantis if they focus on Mantis in general regardless of branch?

P.S: Lets try to keep this a positive discussion, I can already see the negative responses as everyone feels the need to justify their particular branch of mantis.
    Last edited by CeruleanRyuujin; 07-20-2008 at 09:37 PM.

I would say none of the above is as important as having a good teacher! I would train TKD if the teacher was da' bomb! Branches and styles do not make a student better, teachers do!

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

School > style.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Agree with both of the above.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    I would say none of the above is as important as having a good teacher! I would train TKD if the teacher was da' bomb! Branches and styles do not make a student better, teachers do!

Cheers
    Jake

I certainly agree on this. Thanks, Jake

As in any style you should first focus on obtaining a solid foundation and skill achievement tos ome level.

this done then there is no reason not to seek out exponents who do the same system to get a more well rounded exposure to the different aspects out there.

If maintaining a style/system doesn't mean anything personally then just locate teachers who you feel can enhance your overall skill and understanding in martial arts.

While desired to have a teacher who is well "skilled" in their system this is not always necessary. I've more than once found teachers who either no longer trained or simply didn't have the phsycial skill to make their style work were still exceptional teachers from which I learned alot. Not something for a beginner though.

Smile

I saw this on the MQ forum. For some unknown reason, I can't post a thing on there. Anyway, here's my take.

I believe there are different levels of understanding of a said art. There are also different modes of understanding. I won't bore you with the details but in reality it is about the maturity of an artist and his ability to transcendent levels and modes of understanding with respect to mind, body and spirit.

Learning can happen anywhere, anytime, with just about anyone, or anything. Heck, these days you can learn anything from books, mags, and video the "old fashion way" or make use of the internet the modern way. Having said that, interaction with a teacher is important if you are indeed looking for traditional Kung Fu (note that I didn't say martial arts) whatever art that may be. Kung Fu is mastery of life. It is transcendental martial discipline into the art of living, of which a young Bruce Lee would tell us that to live is to die. Such is a life style. A style is subjective; whereas there is a system there is objectivity. But objectivity can not be regarded as creed. When objectivity becomes creed, you will have organized despair in martial arts. To many, mantis catches cicada is an imagine, or a fact of life which is not less than any creed. But it is also a great art of nature. Great art imitates life. However, I believe divine art inspires life. So there it is on that faithful day, Wang Lang saw that divine spark within himself and understood the illusion of creed. So he founded Tanglangquan. And that light has been passing down through a long line of truly inspirational teachers that each individually understood the meaning of life. So the question really is are you looking for the creed without or are you looking for the spark within?

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

You know Robert sometimes you can post the most beautiful messages in such a way that really hits the inspirational button my friend. honeslty that was a great thought. i find often i cant even imagine how to post my thoughts so powerfully after i read yours LOL. So I can leave you all with this..........

one time a pretty wise man said to me its not the style that 's the art its the way you protray it......
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Smile

Hi Earth Dragon,

Thank you, my friend. Glad you like it. You've made my day.

Warm regards

Robert
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Need to be a good student and need to have a good teacher. All of the traditional branches seem to be pretty dam(n) good IMO.