A good friend of mine here in Taiwan has started his own blog called Judo in Taiwan. The guy’s name is Scott Sommers and he has been here in Taiwan and in the Taiwanese martial arts world (the Taiwan Wu Lin, Martial Forest) for quite a number of years now.

He and I trained together at Andy Wang’s school when Andy was here in Taiwan a few years back. Scott and I both studied western boxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu from Andy. After Andy’s school closed, Scott went on to focus on judo and I turned my attention back to traditional Chinese martial arts. Scott has enjoyed a successful tournament career here in Taiwan. He has fought in (and won) mixed martial arts, Brazilian jiu jitsu and traditional judo matches. He is also a fine western boxer. I know that because I have tasted his gloves more than once.

Scott’s Judo in Taiwan blog is off to a great start with lots of photos and great posts about his judo experiences in Taiwan. He was kind enough to include a post I did, which is actually an excerpt from my history book, on the history of judo in Taiwan. (it is the third post from the top).

In addition to Taiwanese martial arts, Scott and I share an interest in Taiwanese higher education (Scott mostly is involved in university language training, while I am mostly involved in university law programs)

In any event here is the link to the blog. I hope to keep contributing to it too, although my post will be exclusively history stuff.

http://scottsommers.blogs.com/judo_in_taiwan/

take care,
Brian