Thread: Pan Nam

Pan Nam

i Have been interested in his style of wing chun for a long time now, as it seems so different to the wing chun of Ip Man

does anybody know of anyone who studies this style of wc?

i know of Eddie Chong and Felix Leong, but i was wondering if there is anyone that learnt all of their kung fu from him - not someone who already had a very sound base in wc then went to him afterwards for extensive training

also does anybody have any experience with this lineage? how do you feel it compliments the more popular lineages you see today?

respectfully

David

Try here , they teach Hung Gar and Pan Nam Wing Chun

http://nyfatkeungusa.org/
    Last edited by zuti car; 07-23-2008 at 08:28 AM.

also does anybody have any experience with this lineage? how do you feel it compliments the more popular lineages you see today?
    I studied PN WC under Felix Leong.

Such an open ended question makes it difficult to answer.

There are lots of differences in the PN style. Because of that, I'm not sure whether you would say it compliments other WC styles. The stance is different - like a little shoulder width horse stance. All the forms are quite different in choreography. There is no luk/poon sao.

Essentially because of those differences, you have to assess why you do something one way and not another way.

I see a lot of stuff associated with PN WC that I've never seen before. I'm not sure whether that's giving the correct impression of the style.

http://www.fatshan-wingchun.co.uk/demos2.htm

I never heard of different stages of chi sao. Or any repetitive circling like in those vids. AFAIK, PN chi sao is just grab each others arms and start fighting.

PN At Yiu - just grab each others arms and try throw each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    I studied PN WC under Felix Leong.

Such an open ended question makes it difficult to answer.

There are lots of differences in the PN style. Because of that, I'm not sure whether you would say it compliments other WC styles. The stance is different - like a little shoulder width horse stance. All the forms are quite different in choreography. There is no luk/poon sao.

Essentially because of those differences, you have to assess why you do something one way and not another way.

I see a lot of stuff associated with PN WC that I've never seen before. I'm not sure whether that's giving the correct impression of the style.

http://www.fatshan-wingchun.co.uk/demos2.htm

I never heard of different stages of chi sao. Or any repetitive circling like in those vids. AFAIK, PN chi sao is just grab each others arms and start fighting.

PN At Yiu - just grab each others arms and try throw each other.
    thank you for this - this is the sort of reply i was looking for

Felix Leong? that man sure has an impressive lineage - Pan Nam, and Sum Nung! does he teach the curriculums of both?

if so does he keep them seperate, or does he teach his own personal interpretation of wing chun?

was his initial training with Pan Nam or did he get his foundation elsewhere?

sorry for all the questions - I'm just very interested

regards

David

Pan Nam looked good on a snip it of video I have seen...I don't think much of the China VCD set and I thought the style's chi sau was very strange when I encountered it.

Who is a good represtentation of the style.

Felix leung is associated with Ip chun as Well??????????

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    thank you for this - this is the sort of reply i was looking for

Felix Leong? that man sure has an impressive lineage - Pan Nam, and Sum Nung! does he teach the curriculums of both?
    Yes.

if so does he keep them seperate, or does he teach his own personal interpretation of wing chun?
    Separate.

was his initial training with Pan Nam or did he get his foundation elsewhere?
    He trained with Sum Nung and Yip Chun and others prior to studying with Pan Nam.

IIRC Yip Chun was the one who introduced him to Pan Nam actually.

Who is a good represtentation of the style.
    Pan Nam!

Hard to say. Maybe I'm not a good representation! Like I said, I see a lot of clips with stuff I've never seen before: Odd applications, drills etc.
    Last edited by Edmund; 07-24-2008 at 05:07 AM.

i have seen some contrasting information on Pan Nam and his lineage, I am particularly interested as i have read that both he and Jui Wan trained with the grandmaster of my lineage for a time in Foshan

http://www.w1ng.com/shaolin-pan-nam-wing-chun/ - this link states that he was a direct student of Dai Fa Min Kam which makes me wonder if what he passed on was purely his material?

because he also was taught the Chan Wah Shun curriculum and by the accounts i have come across, does not appear to have passed this side of his studies on

has anybody else come across the direct 'Paint face' Kam link before?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Pan Nam mixed Village Hung Gar into his Wing Chun plus he learned from Lai Hip Chi who learned from Lu Yui Chai Chan Wah Shun Wing Chun and the Dai Fai Min Weng Chun of The Lok family Lock Lan Gong and other lineages of Wing Chun .
    Perhaps you can tell me what Lee Shing had then Firehawk??!

You're full of facts or stories?

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCN1 View Post
    i have seen some contrasting information on Pan Nam and his lineage, I am particularly interested as i have read that both he and Jui Wan trained with the grandmaster of my lineage for a time in Foshan
    Quite the researcher David!

I've been interested in the Jiu Wan (Chiu Van) lineage for some time as I met a few practitioners in China at the Ip Man Tong Opening. This is also where the actor 'Ti Lung' originates. What a gentleman!!!

Perhaps it is there that we need to look to understand more of our Grandmaster. Jiu Wan was of the oldskool and I'm sure we have very close ties. I know he was older 'in age' to Lee Shing, but Sigung was very much his own man with his own mind and was highly regarded by all of Ip Mans first generation, maybe because of his 'mainland' connection in his youth.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Perhaps you can tell me what Lee Shing had then Firehawk??!

You're full of facts or stories?

Quite the researcher David!

I've been interested in the Jiu Wan (Chiu Van) lineage for some time as I met a few practitioners in China at the Ip Man Tong Opening. This is also where the actor 'Ti Lung' originates. What a gentleman!!!

Perhaps it is there that we need to look to understand more of our Grandmaster. Jiu Wan was of the oldskool and I'm sure we have very close ties. I know he was older 'in age' to Lee Shing, but Sigung was very much his own man with his own mind and was highly regarded by all of Ip Mans first generation, maybe because of his 'mainland' connection in his youth.
    actually Spencer, i have read (not heard passed down) that Pan Nam, Wong Jing (sifu of Mai Gai Wong), Jui Wan, and Lee Shing trained together - i found it here: http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/....PanNamLineage

unsure of the facts but i know it is said that LS also learnt from Jui Wan and Lok Yiu

From the little knowledge of Jui Wan i have, i understand that his students are fighters!

quite the researcher indeed! i love the history, as i have mentioned before, almost as much as the art! at least researching the history doesnt leave me covered in bumps and bruises