Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boxing Bridge In CMA

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You forgot the part where your liver is smacked up into your throat area.
    It's clear that you don't do enough kegels, everyone knows the fundamentals of kung fu are drop the elbows, spine erect, and pull your testicles and liver up into your throat using your powerful kegel kung, then eye poke.

This is why true kung fu men never get grandpa balls.

I don't know, maybe it is just me? But so much of this conversation seems backward... "oh, CMA has to study boxing to do sport but, blah blah blah"

For one, the way you hit someone in the head in a "sport" isn't radically different then how you club them in the head in the street

Here's an idea, instead of CMA people learnign to "box" how about they just learn to "punch"? Is there really any TCMA system that doesn't have straight punches, hoooks, uppercuts, overhands (oh, yeah, other thread please!)

CMA people need to stop looking for "the deadly" and go back, gasp, to BASICS. That's the biggest problem!!!!!!!!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Yes, but the straight punch, hook, et al only occur in the form once, and doesn't involve anything too esoteric seeming, so you only use it once in a fight, right?

I guess that is the beauty (and ugliness) of a system like Lama, it's all basicly beating and pummeling your opponent with punches, knees and kicks (not much fluff)

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i dont think the reference on learning how to punch is whats in question. a lot of cma people can punch pretty well and darn hard with good accuracy, speed and power.

rather more that your 'average' cma guy doesnt often times train to keep himself covered well from a practiced boxer.

ive noticed this myself on more than one occasion.

IMO, its more that a cma person needs to be aware of what to expect from a boxer. if you walk into a ring against a boxer and are completely ignorant of how a boxer operates, you can get caught by suprise.

this is almost redundant however as most people who are entering mma events have a decent understanding of striking, often times with influence from sources outside cma.

for instance, look at the posers, er poses you see on the majority of CMA school web sites.

unfortunately it comes down, again, to the fact that there are just too many cma people out there who arent really training to fight. but think they are.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I guess that is the beauty (and ugliness) of a system like Lama, it's all basicly beating and pummeling your opponent with punches, knees and kicks (not much fluff)
    Even when it's not supposed to be fluff, but has a rational purpose, people get in the trap of trying to "move like" their style instead of using their style's movements to do what they're supposed to.

99% of the san da, san shou, kickboxing .... videos posted on this forum show 99% of the fighters using techniques that resemble boxing as 99 % of their striking arsenal & in 99 % of the cases where the loser gets beat down it was because the loser attempted to fight a fight that he or she was not good at. hence boxing. it's bad enough that they couldn't use their own style but even worse that they couldn't properly use basic & common techniques which dominate the full contact SPORT.

Quote Originally Posted by UmFu View Post
    99% of the san da, san shou, kickboxing .... videos posted on this forum show 99% of the fighters using techniques that resemble boxing as 99 % of their striking arsenal & in 99 % of the cases where the loser gets beat down it was because the loser attempted to fight a fight that he or she was not good at. hence boxing. it's bad enough that they couldn't use their own style but even worse that they couldn't properly use basic & common techniques which dominate the full contact SPORT.
    Maybe 99% of the fighters are not so much using "boxing" as in the Western sport but rather simply what WORKS, ie basic strikes using the closed fist, ie straight, hook, uppercut and overhand.... maybe being able to use their "style" should also mean being able to use basic punches

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I don't know, maybe it is just me? But so much of this conversation seems backward... "oh, CMA has to study boxing to do sport but, blah blah blah"

For one, the way you hit someone in the head in a "sport" isn't radically different then how you club them in the head in the street

Here's an idea, instead of CMA people learnign to "box" how about they just learn to "punch"? Is there really any TCMA system that doesn't have straight punches, hoooks, uppercuts, overhands (oh, yeah, other thread please!)

CMA people need to stop looking for "the deadly" and go back, gasp, to BASICS. That's the biggest problem!!!!!!!!
    You could not be more correct.

It seems to me that in order for Chinese martial artists to be competitive in kicking boxing events, it will be necessary to develop good BOXING….

My opinion in regards to the sporting events is that fundamental boxing skills will create a bridge for more stylistic/CMA techniques and concepts to be applied.

Many of the movements you see in most combative arts (CMA, boxing, etc) have basic and fundamental similarities.

I think one problem is that some CMA look at boxing as something so different and don't realize that in some instances they're fundamentally related on a basic a level

I am also suggesting that if any martial artists decides to step into a "kickboxing" ring, it might be a good idea to know how to "kick" and "box"

not to get side tracked, so i want to go back to my initial thought regarding sport fighting and the use of boxing to bridge CMA techniques and help CMA adapt to sporting full contact events.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    HOW TO BEAT A BOXER (by RD)

Cover your head real well, charge in and get really close by weathering a hit or two as you suddenly enter into grapling range. Grab his head and twist it hard to one direction or the other. Hold on tight, and retreat as fast as you can dragging him down by his noggin as you do.

Jump up and down on him like a rabid Monkey.
    You are ridiculous, RD.

You should listen to what is being said here, instead of sounding like an idiot. Give it a shot sometime, see what happens.

My teacher loved boxing and even fought competitively in western boxing matches when it became popular in southern china. He won his weight division for Toi-San in the 40's. He went to Gong Muyhn (where fighters came from all over Canton/Guangdong) and represented his city, where he was victorious again. (kinda equivalent of winning for the five boroughs of NY type of thing).

When I first went to Toi san several years ago, I learned more about his boxing career, met his boxing coach and heard stories about his fights. The first two he lost to the same person, because he didn't train boxing rules and did not realize that the gloves neutralized many techniques. He began to train with a coach who is the still teaching CMA today in Toi-San. His name is Gong Gum Woon and he's the president of the Toi-San martial arts association.

Chan Tai-San loved grew to love boxing and excelled in the sport. He never really made a disctinction between boxing and CMA. Punching is punching..etc., etc. Personally, I don't really find any conflict in their offensive strategies at all. Defensively, there are some differences, I'll admit and you definately are hampered by gloves, but I believe the core skills are the same.

What you really must learn is how boxers train before makings such wacky statements, RD.

Boxing is good. Thinking that there is nothing to learn from it if you know CMA, is silly.

That is like saying that CMA has grappling and you can apply the same principles to the ground and beat BJJ. C'mon....

My teacher didn't just enjoy the sport, he recognized the strengths of boxing as a fighting art/science. This from a guy who started learning KF at 8 and didn't stop learning until his 50's. He wasn't interested in being a teacher at 30 and earning a living, he wanted to fight and learn to fight better. Do you think you might learn something from his experience??? Think about it.

And I remember reading something somewhere about the Chinese government recognizing the strengths of western boxing as a combatative method and teaching their military SAN DA/SAN SHOU, oh...about 80 years ago!! But again, this might not be enough for RD to recognize the merits of Boxing....

I'm sure you, RD, have a wider range of experience? Have you used your TCMA to cast out many 'boxers' from your school? Did you accept challenge matches against boxers?? I'm poking fun at you here, but hoping you might realize the short-sightlessness of your statements.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 07-25-2008 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UmFu View Post
    Have you considered that, perhaps, properly trained TCMA looks a lot like boxing because that's how to throw good punches?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Have you considered that, perhaps, properly trained TCMA looks a lot like boxing because that's how to throw good punches?
    EXACTLY! Why is this so hard for everyone to understand??

It's funny...if it was a known fact that boxing took it's tech from TCMA, no one would have a problem with it. But since it was developed independently, TCMA people can't acknowledge it's validity. So silly....

I'm (technically) a TCMA person, I get it.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    That's crazy talk from a glorified kick boxer !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !