Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Boxing Bridge In CMA

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    MMA is just a catchphrase. It's marketing at this point. I'm surprised nobody has copywrited (copywritten) the phrase. If you are doing all that then you are doing MMA.
    Now all ya gotta do is change your sign.
    It's not just ring or cage fighting. All MMA schools have people who want to fight in a ring and people who don't. Coach Ross, Tiger Shullman, etc. They all teach MMA but have a stable of ring fighters as well.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 07-25-2008 at 10:59 AM.

I dont really see many differences between oldschool tcma and modern mma.

the only ones i see are the choices of techniques and training methods.

but look at many old tcma, even they have variations of techniques and training methods, often within the same region even!

just because some techs and conditioning methods are swapped around, doesnt really make it all that sperate.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I dont really see many differences between oldschool tcma and modern mma.

the only ones i see are the choices of techniques and training methods.

but look at many old tcma, even they have variations of techniques and training methods, often within the same region even!

just because some techs and conditioning methods are swapped around, doesnt really make it all that sperate.
    Reply]
    Agreed. In fact I have been saying this for ten years now.

i read this board a lot, more than I post. Im a partial lurker.

but its funny because i'll see people debating points back and forth, but a lot of the time they are saying almost the same things, just not on the exact same page.

most people are feeling about the same way, but often times the expression of what ever message is trying to be put out there is not in sync with how others think, and then its always the little details everyone gets so nit picky about.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    You are not supposed to Chase hands in CMA in the first place.
    You correctly said SUPPOSE.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Another thing Western boxing can teach CMA - keep your chin down.

don't know if it's beens aid, but hitting with the back side of the glove is a foul in boxing rules or other parts as well. Here's th rules of boxing for most jurisdictions. I think as you read them, you will see exactly why some cma style strikes are not allowed.

* You cannot hit below the belt, hold, trip, kick, headbutt, wrestle, bite, spit on, or push your opponent.
    * You cannot hit with your head, shoulder, forearm, or elbow.
    * You cannot hit with an open glove, the inside of the glove, the wrist, the backhand, or the side of the hand.
    * You cannot punch your opponent's back, or the back of his head or neck (rabbit punch), or on the kidneys (kidney punch).
    * You cannot throw a punch while holding on to the ropes to gain leverage.
    * You can't hold your opponent and hit him at the same time, or duck so low that your head is below your opponent's belt line.
    * When the referee breaks you from a clinch, you have to take a full step back; you cannot immediately hit your opponent--that's called "hitting on the break" and is illegal.
    * You cannot spit out your mouthpiece on purpose to get a rest.
    * If you score a knockdown of your opponent, you must go to the ****hest neutral corner while the referee makes the count.
    * If you "floor" your opponent, you cannot hit him when he's on the canvas.
    * A floored boxer has up to ten seconds to get back up on his feet before losing the bout by knockout.
    * A boxer who is knocked down cannot be saved by the bell in any round, depending upon the local jurisdiction's rules.
    * A boxer who is hit with an accidental low blow has up to five minutes to recover. If s/he cannot continue after five minutes, s/he is considered knocked out.
    * If the foul results in an injury that causes the fight to end immediately, the boxer who committed the foul is disqualified.
    * If the foul causes an injury but the bout continues, the referee orders the judges to deduct two points from the boxer who caused the injury.
    * If an unintentional foul causes the bout to be stopped immediately, the bout is ruled a "no decision" if four rounds have not been fully completed. (If the bout was scheduled for four rounds, then three rounds must have been completed.) If four rounds have been completed, the judges' scorecards are tallied and the fighter who is ahead on points is awarded a technical decision. If the scores are even, it will be called a "technical draw."
    * If a boxer is knocked out of the ring, he gets a count of 20 to get back in and on his feet. He cannot be assisted.
    * In some jurisdictions the standing eight-count or the three knockdown rule also may be in effect.
    * In other jurisdictions, only the referee can stop the bout.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    don't know if it's beens aid, but hitting with the back side of the glove is a foul in boxing rules or other parts as well. Here's th rules of boxing for most jurisdictions. I think as you read them, you will see exactly why some cma style strikes are not allowed.

* You cannot hit below the belt, hold, trip, kick, headbutt, wrestle, bite, spit on, or push your opponent.
    * You cannot hit with your head, shoulder, forearm, or elbow.
    * You cannot hit with an open glove, the inside of the glove, the wrist, the backhand, or the side of the hand.
    * You cannot punch your opponent's back, or the back of his head or neck (rabbit punch), or on the kidneys (kidney punch).
    * You cannot throw a punch while holding on to the ropes to gain leverage.
    * You can't hold your opponent and hit him at the same time, or duck so low that your head is below your opponent's belt line.
    * When the referee breaks you from a clinch, you have to take a full step back; you cannot immediately hit your opponent--that's called "hitting on the break" and is illegal.
    * You cannot spit out your mouthpiece on purpose to get a rest.
    * If you score a knockdown of your opponent, you must go to the ****hest neutral corner while the referee makes the count.
    * If you "floor" your opponent, you cannot hit him when he's on the canvas.
    * A floored boxer has up to ten seconds to get back up on his feet before losing the bout by knockout.
    * A boxer who is knocked down cannot be saved by the bell in any round, depending upon the local jurisdiction's rules.
    * A boxer who is hit with an accidental low blow has up to five minutes to recover. If s/he cannot continue after five minutes, s/he is considered knocked out.
    * If the foul results in an injury that causes the fight to end immediately, the boxer who committed the foul is disqualified.
    * If the foul causes an injury but the bout continues, the referee orders the judges to deduct two points from the boxer who caused the injury.
    * If an unintentional foul causes the bout to be stopped immediately, the bout is ruled a "no decision" if four rounds have not been fully completed. (If the bout was scheduled for four rounds, then three rounds must have been completed.) If four rounds have been completed, the judges' scorecards are tallied and the fighter who is ahead on points is awarded a technical decision. If the scores are even, it will be called a "technical draw."
    * If a boxer is knocked out of the ring, he gets a count of 20 to get back in and on his feet. He cannot be assisted.
    * In some jurisdictions the standing eight-count or the three knockdown rule also may be in effect.
    * In other jurisdictions, only the referee can stop the bout.
    I can't begin to count how many of those rules I have broken and have been broken on me, LOL !

yup, guys break em all the time but the ref has to see it to call it or be advised by a judge who saw it, etc etc.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    yup, guys break em all the time but the ref has to see it to call it or be advised by a judge who saw it, etc etc.
    And then you get a warning...(pansy crap).
    Fact is, there is no reason why CMA shouldn't compete and train western boxing.

Maybe, but why bother? You'd have to become a Boxer to get anywhere, and that means disposing of 90% of your arsenal. Not to mention neglecting important training aspects, like take down defences and such.

You'd be better of fighting in K-1, Kuo Shou, San Shou and MMA
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 07-25-2008 at 12:52 PM.

I wonder who would do well with only cma against mike tyson in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Maybe not, but why bother? You'd have to become a Boxer to get anywhere, and that means disposing of 90% of your arsenal. Not to mention neglecting important training aspects, like take down defences and such.

You'd be better of fighting in K-1, Kuo Shou, San Shou and MMA
    All those competitions you mentioned?
    All the fighters learned how to box.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I wonder who would do well with only cma against mike tyson in his prime.
    Don't forget, Mike bites too !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Don't forget, Mike bites too !
    thats what we refer to as 'teh deadly' round heah

he learned the leet skeelz in prison