Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Boxing Bridge In CMA

learning the inside technical game of boxing can only have positive results, IMO
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Lucas just remember that RD opposes anything like crosstraining as unpure.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I'll bet if you could go back hundreds of years to the time when masters were sharing with shaolin, and you had a chinese guys how up with modern western boxing, the shaolin men would have been very pleased to learn the methods.

thats just my opinion though.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Actually, that is not true, I am a mixed bag of tricks more than anything myself.

What I oppose is seeking skills from styles other than your own, When YOUR style already covers that ground.

For example, I see no need to go to Boxing for striking, or Judo for throwing, because that is all in my CMA from the start.

However, if I wanted to ground fight, I'd be looking into BJJ or Greco Roman wrestling before CMA, because CMA generally avoids those ranges due to it's focus on reality fighting, rather then the cozy protected arena of the Sports platforms.

Now, if your TCMA teacher sux, and you can't get the skills from him, then you really have to look for another source of the technologies.

ill agree that for striking you dont need to stray from cma.

to fight the mariad of fighters out there however, some study into the arts they excell in would be wise. 'know your enemy' and such.

thus boxing would be a good place to start studying how a lot of these guys are going to use their hands, feet, and cores

so in this case, this would primarily be just for sport study, as you can never know what you will run into in real life. though in america, a lot of people will box you, or at least give their rendition of boxing.

from what ive noticed in the few fights ive been in outside and the multitude ive seen, a lot of guys think they are boxers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'll bet if you could go back hundreds of years to the time when masters were sharing with shaolin, and you had a chinese guys how up with modern western boxing, the shaolin men would have been very pleased to learn the methods.

thats just my opinion though.
    Reply]
    You are probably correct. They would likely have formified Boxing and made it some sort of super secret system and added a bunch of mystical Qi gong to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    You are probably correct. They would likely have formified Boxing and made it some sort of super secret system and added a bunch of mystical Qi gong to it as well.
    lol, no doubt on that one man. no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    ill agree that for striking you dont need to stray from cma.

to fight the mariad of fighters out there however, some study into the arts they excell in would be wise. 'know your enemy' and such.

thus boxing would be a good place to start studying how a lot of these guys are going to use their hands, feet, and cores

so in this case, this would primarily be just for sport study, as you can never know what you will run into in real life. though in america, a lot of people will box you, or at least give their rendition of boxing.

from what ive noticed in the few fights ive been in outside and the multitude ive seen, a lot of guys think they are boxers.
    Reply]
    That is because every Father teaches thier sons to box, even if it is just unintentionally through "Play fighting" when they are young.

Reply]
    That is because every Father teaches thier sons to box, even if it is just unintentionally through "Play fighting" when they are young.
    now that you mention it, ya.

i suppose its an american cultural thing. (other countries im sure as well)

You could probably add basic wresting in the mix too.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    well, if you practiced entering and retreating and side stepping footwork, duck, slip, bob n weave, and good short strikes, then you might not see a need to learn boxing.
    Skillz is skillz

However, if I wanted to ground fight, I'd be looking into BJJ or Greco Roman wrestling before CMA, because CMA generally avoids those ranges due to it's focus on reality fighting, rather then the cozy protected arena of the Sports platforms.
    Don't tell me you still buy into the whole "ground fighting is unrealistic on the street" bit of nonsense. I've executed text-book perfect shoulder throws slamming an opponent into cement and, because the opponent was a really tough mother****er, it barely even stunned him for a second... hardly a fight stopper. So, yes, there is a place for groundfighting in reality fighting.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I did all that kind of stuff with my Dad when I was a Kid. He did English Boxing though. It's different than todays Boxing. It uses a kind of goofy guard position with the palms facing back. The guard is not held like you see today either, it is in constant motion moving in small vertical circles.

Actually, I suspect the avoidance of ground fighting is for the same reason sitting or lying on the bare earth or wearing outside shoes inside is a cultural no-no there.

Half the year, winds from the West carry dust from out of the Tarim Basin across China. This phenomenon is what causes the loess deposits in China. The downside to this is the same dust carries some fairly nasty diseases as well. After a rain in some parts of China, it is fairly obvious that the mud/silt one is walking on is unlike that found back here.

This is also possibly a source for the idea that standing in the wind, regardless of whether it is cold or not, is a good way to get sick: half the year, this is absolutely true there.

Anyway, total sidebar, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Don't tell me you still buy into the whole "ground fighting is unrealistic on the street" bit of nonsense. I've executed text-book perfect shoulder throws slamming an opponent into cement and, because the opponent was a really tough mother****er, it barely even stunned him for a second... hardly a fight stopper. So, yes, there is a place for groundfighting in reality fighting.
    Reply]
    I like the CMA thoughts, put them down, and only go down enough to inflict pounding damage, but not so much as to lose your mobility and ability to escape.

The whole snuggle on the ground while others pumble you as you try to get position for an armbar is just not a good idea in the real world.

just enough to escape and get mobile again is the ticket. Your time is better spent on takedown defenses.