Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Boxing Bridge In CMA

it's not about losing any of your arsenal, it's about adding to your arsenal. it's not CMA vs. boxing, it's how does CMA relate & work with boxing in a full contact environment.

if your going to box or resemble boxing in a full contact event, which most people seem to be doing, along with your kicking, grappling....there may be a "bridge" for more of your CMA technques to cross over into the event.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    I like the CMA thoughts, put them down, and only go down enough to inflict pounding damage, but not so much as to lose your mobility and ability to escape.

The whole snuggle on the ground while others pumble you as you try to get position for an armbar is just not a good idea in the real world.

just enough to escape and get mobile again is the ticket. Your time is better spent on takedown defenses.
    I don't like it either. But I do it. I do it because I know that MMA is a household word. You see kids wearing Tapout t-shirts in the malls. Every Tom Di(k, or Harry will try to take you down and GnP.
    If I do not, I am doing a disservice to myself, as well as my students, by not preparing them for the types of people they will encounter.

when was the last case of cowpox, polio,etc?
    Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I don't like it either. But I do it. I do it because I know that MMA is a household word. You see kids wearing Tapout t-shirts in the malls. Every Tom Di(k, or Harry will try to take you down and GnP.
    If I do not, I am doing a disservice to myself, as well as my students, by not preparing them for the types of people they will encounter.

Get it?
    i'd like to give a BOOYAA!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

Get it?
    Reply]
    I get it, but when the Strike Force champ got his belt without ever going down to the ground, then maybe we must consider anti take down skills are vastly more important than wrassl'n on the ground.

That said, the Chinese methods are more than adequate.

Although there are some Southeast Asian Monkey styles that would wreak absolute havoc on the BJJ methodology, while staying in the frame work of my Chinese systems, so i might cross train in that.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    I get it, but when the Strike Force champ got his belt without ever going down to the ground, then maybe we must consider anti take down skills are vastly more important than wrassl'n on the ground.

That said, the Chinese methods are more than adequate.

Although there are some Southeast Asian Monkey styles that would wreak absolute havoc on the BJJ methodology, while staying in the frame work of my Chinese systems, so i might cross train in that.
    Not vastly more important-but important nonetheless. A much needed skill as well.
    And many Chinese styles do imploy ground grappling, not much different than Ne-Waza.
    But, if you haven't been taught it,(whether it isn't in your system, or just that your teacher didn't teach it) there is nothing wrong with going out and learning it, so then now it will be in your teaching, and your students, and your students' students will have it. This is evolution.
    So when people ask if Hung-Ga has groundfighting, I can say,
    "My Hung-Ga does."

Not really. You will have a Hung gar system, AND a grapling system, but the grappling being from a totally different discipline would not be Hung gar at all.

To say it is just further confuses the muddles mess of styles and identity we already have. It's not entirely honest either.

When i get to the Monkey stuff in the Kunato I am working on, I'm not going to say my Tai tzu has "Monkey" in it, and then teach the Kuntao Monkey.

I am going to say THIS is the Tai Tzu, and THAT is the Monkey from Kuntao, and this OTHER THING is Graco Roman wrestling, and THIS is how I combine these disciplines.

and thats why people develop their own styles.

so they can take everything they have learned in their life, and put it all under one roof.

so many styles used to be seperately distinguished styles till a man decided to combine the material and give it a fresh new name.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Of course.

Many systems are distilled down from individuals that learned a bunch of different things and created a new methodology using the most applicable of various technologies they have picked up over time as well.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 07-25-2008 at 05:14 PM.

It should also be kept in mind that falling (or getting thrown) onto the concrete or other relatively flat surface, while unpleasant, is not the same thing as getting thrown out in a more natural environment. A text book perfect landing would not necessarily keep one from being seriously injured.

All it takes is one small protruding stone, or a tree, or some other obstacle to cause a serious break, injury or stunning.

In my teens I participated in an outdoor demonstration. We put mats on the grass. I was asked to demonstrate a back fall. On a flat surface it would have been a relatively uneventful action, however, the ground had a very slight convex shape to it, one that would not ordinarily be noticed until your back hit it an instant before your hands did. It knocked the wind out of me and I could barely stand up. After that I realized the class work is not the same thing as training in nature.

I would not want to get thrown or grapple in a river bed!

Quote Originally Posted by UmFu View Post
    it's not about losing any of your arsenal, it's about adding to your arsenal. it's not CMA vs. boxing, it's how does CMA relate & work with boxing in a full contact environment.

if your going to box or resemble boxing in a full contact event, which most people seem to be doing, along with your kicking, grappling....there may be a "bridge" for more of your CMA technques to cross over into the event.
    Are you talking about mainly boxing and kickboxing competitions or actual Sanda/Sanshou competitions?

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Are you talking about mainly boxing and kickboxing competitions or actual Sanda/Sanshou competitions?
    not in boxing arena, but in kickboxing, full contact, lei tai, sanda, sanshou.....