Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids and MMA

little kids doing mma (vid)

where's my beer?

wow, that's great to see them start so young. i think it's great for kids to have a BIT of a more realistic interface to one-on-one combat than what's being taught in most of today's black-belt mills. i really feel it's extremely important that kids learn values and some realities at a younger age and that they really early on solidify their self-confidence. too many kids are bullied, my 12 y.o. cousin got beat up a few months ago(i was furious) and this poor 15 y.o. kid killed himself in a park around here the other day. i can't stress how important i feel it is in many aspects that kids so young have such a healthy outlet that can be so useful to them in the future, more than a lot of other recreational sports.
    "Pride builds walls between people; Humility builds bridges."- R. Warren

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    enh, we've had this discussion before but I don't agree with the contact strikes to the head for kids that small...especially w/ no head protection.

I don't think the guillotine is a good idea on little kids either.

we all recognize that full contact competition takes it's toll on the body. I think that there are probably developmental issues at risk in letting pre-pubescent kids practice and compete at full contact.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

these were my comments about this vid on another board:

just hearing about little ones doing submissions would scare me more the striking, but after watching it i guess it isnt that bad.

i'm just scared of injuries. i know that younger joints can take more abuse and be no worse for the wear, but 6 still seems a little young for sumissions. maybe 8 or 9. most of them looked a lot more controlled than i thought though.
    i agree he appears to be very talented, as do the rest of them, but i also think these kids are the exception. i think most 6 year olds are a little too clumsy to be doing arm bars. they are a a bit more coordinated at 8 or so.

then again maybe he is 7 or 8. maybe little man is just short like me.
    where's my beer?

Oh, man, that is some awesome stuff. Imagine the skill levels those kids will have 10-15 years from now.

It seems like this will bring MMA to a whole new level.

It's great to see that these kids have real skills. I was quite the karate competitor as a little kid, but I didn't have a real sense of fighting the way these kids do.

At the same time, some of the neck locks worry me. But I guess I was just as vulnerable to getting kicked in the throat, had more thna my fair share of bloody noses, etc. So, I guess it's a good things.

PS
    I don't think they allowed striking to the face. I only saw body shots with the occasional shot that looked like it was deflected towards the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    It's great to see that these kids have real skills. I was quite the karate competitor as a little kid, but I didn't have a real sense of fighting the way these kids do.

At the same time, some of the neck locks worry me. But I guess I was just as vulnerable to getting kicked in the throat, had more thna my fair share of bloody noses, etc. So, I guess it's a good things.

PS
    I don't think they allowed striking to the face. I only saw body shots with the occasional shot that looked like it was deflected towards the face.
    The thing that seems it could be a problem is the throws because they are going to the mat head first. Do that one wrong and you could have a broken neck, but of course these kids don't weigh that much and are pretty limber.

But man, this is so awesome that kids these young have real skills. I wish this was around when I was a kid and mommy would have let me do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    I don't agree with the contact strikes to the head for kids that small...especially w/ no head protection.
    i didnt see any head shots, looked like all body to me.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    perhaps not....I looked again and still think I saw some in the first match shown and a knee in another match. maybe they are not supposed to and the refs didn't think these were close enough.

there is still a wicked as guillotine at 1:16
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by mysteri
    i really feel it's extremely important that kids learn values and some realities at a younger age and that they really early on solidify their self-confidence. too many kids are bullied, my 12 y.o. cousin got beat up a few months ago(i was furious) and this poor 15 y.o. kid killed himself in a park around here the other day. i can't stress how important i feel it is in many aspects that kids so young have such a healthy outlet that can be so useful to them in the future, more than a lot of other recreational sports.
    I was gonna say this, but you said it so well I thought I'd just repost your comments.

"i think it's great for kids to have a BIT of a more realistic interface to one-on-one combat "

Yeah......one on one combat for children is right up there with piano lessons . I can't wait til' my kid is 5 so I can ship him off to Iraq for some real experience.

Serioulsy though, I'm not so convinced that martial arts is for children at all. I don't think they are able to posess the morality for it and I think that there are much better ways to deal with bullies or to instill hard work and values. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    "i think it's great for kids to have a BIT of a more realistic interface to one-on-one combat "

Yeah......one on one combat for children is right up there with piano lessons . I can't wait til' my kid is 5 so I can ship him off to Iraq for some real experience.

Serioulsy though, I'm not so convinced that martial arts is for children at all. I don't think they are able to posess the morality for it and I think that there are much better ways to deal with bullies or to instill hard work and values. Just my thoughts.
    on the otherside of the spectrum i think all kids should be required to do at least a little sport fighting of some type by highschool at the latest. traditional full contact, boxing, wrestling, submission, whatever.

nothing builds confidence like realizing you can take an ass kicking.
    where's my beer?

I agree with you. I would start it at about 12 or 13 years of age. I would also emphasize it more as a sport than "self-defense."

Competition, loosing and winning, are both parts of life that should be learned. I would say that how you loose is more important than how you win.

I feel that a 6 year old who knows how to choke out another kid might be too dangerous because at that age they are not able to discern when not to do it or worse, when to let go. It's common sense to me, like the same reason we don't let 6 year olds carry guns. No matter how much you teach them about it, they still can't be trusted alone with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I feel that a 6 year old who knows how to choke out another kid might be too dangerous because at that age they are not able to discern when not to do it or worse, when to let go. It's common sense to me, like the same reason we don't let 6 year olds carry guns. No matter how much you teach them about it, they still can't be trusted alone with it.

This is not true. I started my training at 4 in Issin-Ryu. Now, I wasn't as skilled in fighting as these kids were, but by the time I was in 2nd and 3rd grade I had a pretty good kick and punch, was breaking boards well before 5th grade.

At the same time my sensei instilled me with a lot of disciple, bowing makes you humble, etc. The japanese systems, at least when I was a kid, instilled morality and discpline in you as well as technique.

Ray, you have a point. Many (not all) children do have a real capacity to learn something the right way even at a very young age if it's taught and presented to them maturely. It's just that I don't feel that most schools today (with their "Karate-day camp" mentality) would instill that kind of responsibility into young children.

So, we'd probably end up with alot of kids getting their energy out by using moves that they are not responsible enough to use yet.