Thread: A good knife

A good knife

I own a USMC K-Bar knife which is supposed to be a good all round knife for hunting, fighting, cutting, etc. I have an issue with it though. The knife is handle heavy meaning when I hold it the handle seems heavier than the blade which gives it an unbalanced feel in my hands.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other kinds of knives that may be more evenly weighted and not too expensive?

I like the Tom Brown knife but it seems a bit pricey.

Also, in NY state, what is the legal blade size that you are allowed to carry around? Size as in length and width.

interested or uninterested in folders?

i personally carry a folder like this one.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

the folder

Hmmm, I have to admit that that particular folder has wet my appetite a bit. How much can I get one of those puppies for? Is it legal? How fast does it unfold

that particular one is probably in the $50 range. it unfolds very fast, there is a lever that you use with your index finger, and it locks open as well as has a sliding lock to prevent any accidental closing. a friend of mine got one very similar which has assited opening, meaning once you start to open it, a spring load finishes locking it into place.

columbia river knife and tool is the company.

http://www.crkt.com/

they have a wide range of items, maybe something even more to your liking.

the blade i linked is legal, at least where i live. Oregon.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

along the lines of the USMC blade, check this baby out.

Ultima

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    along the lines of the USMC blade, check this baby out.

Ultima
    that's nice!

the smaller model would be a great carry knife
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    that's nice!

the smaller model would be a great carry knife
    thats what i was thinking, i might just buy one lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    Also, in NY state, what is the legal blade size that you are allowed to carry around? Size as in length and width.
    I didn't wanna go sifting through all the legalese, but here's a listing of NY state's laws regarding weapons

Also, AFAIK, it's pretty much blade length that gets regulated. Aside from having special provisions for certain blades like stilettos, I'm not aware of any state regulating blade width.

And of course, there may also be local laws to contend with.

Also, in terms of the actual knives, as far as fixed blades go I've been very impressed with Ontario's Randall Adventure Training series. I've got a D2 RAT-7 (the serrated one) and it's been great. A bit pricey new (around $250, got mine used for $50), though, and the RAT-7 is kind of big for daily carry, but they do have smaller, and I assume cheaper, models.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    And of course, there may also be local laws to contend with.
    Hello,

Usual rule of thumb is that local laws can not supersede state laws. In other words they can give additional rights but not take away rights given by a higher authority.

So if something is legal in your State local ordinances can not make it otherwise unless specifically written into law. For example in PA the State specifically grants concealed carry of firearms restrictions for State Issued Permits to Cities of the First Class. Of course, there is only one City of the First Class in PA, Philadelphia which, like NYC, is a fine argument for the effectiveness of Gun Control
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space