Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theory of CMA (communism) vs MMA (free market system)

Theory of CMA (communism) vs MMA (free market system)

Been studying economics lately.

Was thinking maybe CMA has been influenced negatively by China's recent past, mainly a closed off, non-competitive central planned system.

Likewise, MMA is as free a market as you can get. Bring whatever you want and the competition itself will define the standard and weed out the garbage.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Been studying economics lately.

Was thinking maybe CMA has been influenced negatively by China's recent past, mainly a closed off, non-competitive central planned system.

Likewise, MMA is as free a market as you can get. Bring whatever you want and the competition itself will define the standard and weed out the garbage.
    I would say more like the philosophy of Confucius, the traditional structure of Chinese martial arts is based on the teachings of Confucius. The Chinese Communists also made use of Confucius by sort of mixing Marxists theory with traditional Chinese classical education & thought.

Thumbs up

since the politics brought up;

1. actually, today's China is different from let's say in 1950's and 1960's.

There are 4 gen of leaderships from CPC or CCP.

1. Mao

all the movements, great leap forward, cultural revolution, practice of communisms actually bankbrupt the economics, made million's hunger, They did not work or failed miserably.

2. Deng

something had to be changed or reversed back. open door, free flow of goods and money. money/capital was considered vehicle of persecution of workers and farmers, but no more. China tried to pick up whatever is left over from 10 years of cultural depletion or wreckage.

3. Jiang

open door to the west and free flow of foreign capital/investment continued, all the coast cities were developed while the countryside and the big far west still waiting.

4. Hu/Wen

open door not just the economic, but slowly some political freedom at local elections.

China is changing fast or embracing the west/capitalism.

They are educating/training the largest pool of talents, business management, engineers,--

They are looking at 21st century and not late 18th, 19th or 20 th centuries.

--

actually, CPC has to continue to change or being buried by the history as all other former commie are not there any more.

This is the same for vietnam, cuba, north korea.

if they dun change, they will be changed.

--

ROTFL that was the biggest pile of absolute nonsense I've seen in a long time.

Sorry Ray, usually see eye-to-eye with you but... seriously... CMA's problem is NOT that China is titularly "communist"....

And the issue of China's so-called communism is a whole 'nother can of worms.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Actually, I think Ray makes a lot of sense with that idea.

Infact, I think it is the most brilliant observation seen on this forum in a long, long time.

I think the problem many see is not even related to the communist government. What about all the crap called Kung Fu that spread out BEFORE and on the eve of the communist takeover?
    A unique snowflake

Ray it would help the debate if you can list what you think are the negative influences in CMA.

Well, this wasn't so long thought out theory. Just came to me the other day in passing.

I love Shanghai. I've been there twice. Awesome city and awesome people.

I'm suggesting, just putting it out there, that older Chinese, say like my master, were brought up perhaps not to question certain things or be competitive. At least not outwardly.

While MMA is the direct result from wanting to not only compete, but welcome everyone and all styles.

I think many CMA schools still operate with this paradigm. They don't want to be compared with other fighting systems, say western boxing, thai boxing, BJJ... they cut themselves off, compete amongst themselves. An environment like this is ripe for mysticism (I'm thinking chi, alters, incense) ... a way to bring "value add" or differentiation for those who are drawn to martial arts but don't want to sweat or bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    I think the problem many see is not even related to the communist government. What about all the crap called Kung Fu that spread out BEFORE and on the eve of the communist takeover?

I don't think Chinese Martial Arts had problems in the past, particularly before the advent and wide circulation of the gun... China has a wonderful history of military proficiency. It brought us the Art of War, flame throwers, gun powder and some would argue the foundation for a multitude of modern empty hand methods.

Kung Fu's "problem", from a martial art standpoint, is that it stopped being functional as a whole. Sure, there are schools and clans that may be keeping it real, but that's not the rule, it's the exception.

And what do I mean by functional? Functional to me, is at the very least maintaining the present standards of combat. And by that standard, most CMA players fall waaay short in conditioning, resistance training, free form sparring and fighting. They're all related.

If you train with a significant warm up -- not to waste time, but to improve attributes and ability ... drill with resistance, then spar for multiple rounds with multiple partners... you're going to become a lean, mean, fighting machine. A good number of those guys want to go out to fight. It pushes everyone in the gym. It raises performance.

Those are fine arguments Ray but how does that relate to the Communist government, if that is what you meant by your thread title?

I think the insularity you highlight was already prevalent before the Communists came to power.

And what do I mean by functional? Functional to me, is at the very least maintaining the present standards of combat. And by that standard, most CMA players fall waaay short in conditioning, resistance training, free form sparring and fighting. They're all related.

Reply]
    What Kung Fu schools have you been going to? I have never seen a Kung Fu school where you were not conditioned to the hilt in every possible way, nor have I seen one that does not free fight, spar and fight.

Everyone always talks about these mythical schools, but I have never actually seen one.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    not to sideline the conversation, but ...I understand the reference to ch'i as mysticism, but altars and insence are to pay respect to the founders and past masters of the style. Guan Gung is honored for his chivalry,morality, courage, and virtue. He is a role model. It is not worship so much as it is respect.
    Certainly not mysticism.

-unless you are invoking their spirits into you
    Last edited by TenTigers; 07-28-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Not exactly TT. Guangong actually has been elevated to the level of a deity. He is ALSO venerated for his virtues.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Did somebody mention guan gong?

I heard that the movie red cliff is too flashy not so "truthfully" protrayed.

Guan gong was supposed to be high, and tall to wield the guan dao.

It is not just a red face.

--

have to wait for dvd to see part I of red cliff now showing in China.

--

Im tempted to jump in and say I’m actually very much for a communist type government, but then I was reminded I am surrounded by Americans . No-one might ever want to speak with me again.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )