Thread: Northern Legs Southern Fist

Northern Legs Southern Fist

I wanted to confirm if the article Northern Legs Southern Fist was written by Madame Wang Jurong. I believe it is in the summer 1995 edition. Anyone has this magazine to confirm? Or any other articles that was wrote by the Madame Wang. Thanks for your help.
    Regards
    DMK

sounds like a movie i watched
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

While I can't say what Madame Wang wrote before 1989 I can say that after that to my knowledge she did not write anything resembling that title. I assisted her on about 90% of the things she wrote that were not done with her daughters.

There were a few articles on rememberances of her father and then most were on things like Duan Da - the single person and then the 2 person set... one of the photos of the 2 person set was tricky to get right. Dr. Wu was more prolific in writing.

However, back when Roger Hagood owned this magazine, we were attempting to promote Chinese Martial Arts and help out...and ended up writing around 12 to 15 articles over the space of 18 months or so. It was almost like we were expected to complete an article each month - with studio photos and revisions.

One of the last ones I worked on with her was on Sun Style Taijiquan....but she decided she did not want to publish it... A pity too..had her doing much of th form and postures - but I gave her all of the photos and the article draft...too many computer changes since then so the article was lost.

WQe did find a book that was published out of Hong Kong that was a 2 person set withMadame Wang and Dr. Wu in drawings...and it was a routine that either Wang Ziping or Madame Wang created...and the kicker... Madame Wang remembered writing the book in China - pre-Cultural Revolution, but it had some other person's name as author and was stated as being a Choy Li Fut routine....

Of course.. that would preclude the possibility that they changed the title for the magazine compared to what we submitted as the title.

One of the last articles that Dr. Wu did was edited - never really found out why becasue the magazine changed hands shortly after that.... but the editing changed the meaning of a number of the points he was making.

A certain OTHER magazine once took it upon themselves to edit an article I wrote to say that Sing Lung was actually DaMo

Why? I have no idea? Pssstttttt.... Sing Lung is in no way related, much less was, DaMO
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

My apologizes for the wrong title the title is call Northern Styles Bei Pai Balance Training.
    In the same article someone else talks about Southern styles.
    Sorry for the mishap.
    The article is in the 1993 winter edition unfortunately it seems to be out of print or sold out. If anyone has a copy please let me know.
    Regard,
    DMK

Yeah..had the editing thing happen with more than one magazine.

Now, I am not opposed to them doing spell check. I am not too big on them doing grammar check unless they actually read the article, understand it, and make changes that are actually correct. I don't know about other people, but for me, the grammar check in things like MS Word is horribly undependable. It can't seem to be clear on sentence structure that is more complex than Noun-Verb-Noun and really screws up when using new words (like words that started as nouns but are now used as verbs) or non-English words...

I am really bothered by edits that remove or add content. While I can understand that some people submitting articles to martial arts magazines may not write well, I can't understand edits that are not marked as such.

In any event, ethics would seem to require the publisher to list "Edited by :" or some such notice on any article that they do more than spell or grammar check with.

For example, in one article I assisted with, the original statement was "Every living thing has Qi." The article was on QI and Qi Gong for health. The point being made was that regardless of whether or not you believed in Qi, in Chinese medicine, the Qi construct provides a framework for diagnosis and treatment and that this treatment includes Qi Gong (exercises to improve health) and that the construct is tied to LIFE...as in living things adhere to this.

The magazine changed it to "Every little thing has Qi." Now we are in the realm of tree hugging, venerating rocks for the Qi they hold and so on....NONE of which was intended or implied. The article was NOT talking about such fringe weirdness and the edit combined with others changed the focus and intent of what was originally written.

Strangely enough, I have not been asked to assist on any other articles since then and requests for articles have been generally met with disinterest. --- Wonder why?